U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-30-2018, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Columbia, MD
1,431 posts, read 1,992,067 times
Reputation: 2115

Advertisements

In terms of who reigns supreme, especially in the in-between counties as well as Southern MD, Western MD, and the Eastern Shore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-31-2018, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Cumberland
5,003 posts, read 8,088,467 times
Reputation: 3314
Western Maryland is Steelers' Country. Ravens and Skins are 2nd and 3rd respectively. Both have solid fan bases, but I would say we are over 50% Steelers fans once you hit Cumberland and parts west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2018, 09:26 AM
 
15,430 posts, read 5,246,794 times
Reputation: 5928
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
In terms of who reigns supreme, especially in the in-between counties as well as Southern MD, Western MD, and the Eastern Shore.
West in MD it's the Steelers, North of Bowie mostly Ravens and in DC and everything else it's Redskins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2018, 02:51 PM
 
386 posts, read 553,244 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Western Maryland is Steelers' Country. Ravens and Skins are 2nd and 3rd respectively. Both have solid fan bases, but I would say we are over 50% Steelers fans once you hit Cumberland and parts west.

Cumberland is Pirates country as well. Once upon a time there I heard Bob Prince calling a Pirates game on radio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2018, 08:24 PM
 
3,099 posts, read 3,204,694 times
Reputation: 3705
Frederick is a very mixed area Lots of Ravens and Redskins fans and almost as many Steeler fans. I've even seen a few Colts Fans! ( I know there aren't as many of us left who still curse the name Irsay)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 07:17 AM
 
488 posts, read 740,578 times
Reputation: 248
Cumberland- Steelersterritory.....Montgomery/Prince George's/Charles/Part of Howard County is.
REDSKINSTerritory. Baltimore City/Baltimore county, Harford County, Carrol County, Frederick county is Ravens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
10,485 posts, read 5,949,749 times
Reputation: 16194
In Mt Airy it's probably 60/40 Ravens however when I go to Frederick it's at least 50/50 or perhaps a slight lean towards the Redskins. Getting the DC TV market there plays a role I believe.

I find this topic of interest as I've been a hard core Redskins fan for over 40 years and for the first 10 years or so of their existence I HATED the Ravens. They stole the Browns and I remember clearly the rejection of the Redskins by the people in Baltimore so I just returned the favor. But over the years I have softened, they just do it the right way and the Redskins are just the opposite. I started openly rooting for them last year. This year is a big turning point. I am struggling to maintain support for Daniel Snyder's team, I just can't do it anymore. Sunday I watched and rooted on the Ravens as the Redskins were playing, I never ever thought I'd do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Cumberland
5,003 posts, read 8,088,467 times
Reputation: 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
In Mt Airy it's probably 60/40 Ravens however when I go to Frederick it's at least 50/50 or perhaps a slight lean towards the Redskins. Getting the DC TV market there plays a role I believe.

I find this topic of interest as I've been a hard core Redskins fan for over 40 years and for the first 10 years or so of their existence I HATED the Ravens. They stole the Browns and I remember clearly the rejection of the Redskins by the people in Baltimore so I just returned the favor. But over the years I have softened, they just do it the right way and the Redskins are just the opposite. I started openly rooting for them last year. This year is a big turning point. I am struggling to maintain support for Daniel Snyder's team, I just can't do it anymore. Sunday I watched and rooted on the Ravens as the Redskins were playing, I never ever thought I'd do that.
I "divorced" the Skins about 9 years ago for the same reasons. I am a happy Ravens fan now. I hold no grudge against the Skins though, we are still friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 08:43 AM
 
3,099 posts, read 3,204,694 times
Reputation: 3705
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
In Mt Airy it's probably 60/40 Ravens however when I go to Frederick it's at least 50/50 or perhaps a slight lean towards the Redskins. Getting the DC TV market there plays a role I believe.

I find this topic of interest as I've been a hard core Redskins fan for over 40 years and for the first 10 years or so of their existence I HATED the Ravens. They stole the Browns and I remember clearly the rejection of the Redskins by the people in Baltimore so I just returned the favor. But over the years I have softened, they just do it the right way and the Redskins are just the opposite. I started openly rooting for them last year. This year is a big turning point. I am struggling to maintain support for Daniel Snyder's team, I just can't do it anymore. Sunday I watched and rooted on the Ravens as the Redskins were playing, I never ever thought I'd do that.

Baltimore did not 'steal' the Browns, Cleveland actually got to vote on it. Cleveland voters were told for weeks before an election that if they did not vote for a bond referendum that the team would leave the city. The referendum was soundly defeated. The team left. And they got to keep the team heritage. I think Cleveland was handled a lot better than Baltimore was by the NFL (and the CFL)


And yes we are stuck with being in the DC TV market in Frederick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 11:49 AM
 
1,122 posts, read 487,374 times
Reputation: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Frederick is a very mixed area Lots of Ravens and Redskins fans and almost as many Steeler fans. I've even seen a few Colts Fans! ( I know there aren't as many of us left who still curse the name Irsay)
Isn't odd how some people from Baltimore still continued to root for them after that Irsay debacle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:35 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top