Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2006, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 12,636 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a student from Ohio and I have a job lined up in the summer at Fort Meade. I'm trying to gather information of my top cities to move to before I actually visit the area to make the most of my time. I would like to be close enough to DC in areas like Silver Spring or Takoma Park but I worry about the morning commute due to traffic.

How long of a commute would you think this would be during rush hour, and if it is very long should I just consider something closer to Ft. Meade like Columbia or Laurel instead? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 08:47 PM

26,144 posts, read 48,806,976 times
I recommend Columbia...use the Search this Forum tool with keywords such as Columbia or Ellicott City or Laurel or whatever your interest. Sounds like you may be a summer intern or something....give thought to renting a room in a private home with a family....maybe Craigslist.com or.....

Anyone else got some ideas.....

Old 12-21-2006, 04:33 AM

12 posts, read 76,517 times
Default Welcome to Ft. Meade!

Hello, and welcome -

Ft. Meade is in the middle of the D.C., Baltimore and Annapolis triangle, so living near Ft. Meade is convenient to all of these wonderful cities. You will probably enjoy the unique ambiance of Annapolis and the charm of Baltimore every bit as much as the monuments and living history of D.C. It would almost be a shame to live so close to D.C. that you overlook Annapolis and Baltimore. And work is a place you have to go at least 5 days a week, so why not stay close, since there are many places to live within 15 minutes.

I recommend Odenton (21113) - there's a great newish community called Piney Orchard about 10 minutes from Meade, and Seven Oaks is even closer; someone else recommended Columbia (21044), more or less West of Meade, and a huge community itself with a mall, dinner theater, many communities ranging from apartments to upscale homes, etc.; lots of Ft. Meade people call Crofton (21114) home, about 15 minutes east towards Annapolis. Each of these areas (and others including Pasadena, Crownsville, Severn, Severna Park) is no more than 1/2 hour from D.C., Baltimore and Annapolis, provided you're not talking rush hour or major construction or accident messing up traffic.

If you choose to live in Takoma Park, you will have a substantial commute to Ft. Meade and you might overlook the opportunities to experience Baltimore and Annapolis. That would be a shame!

Enjoy your Maryland stay.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:22 AM

2 posts, read 12,636 times
thanks a lot for that input. It really makes sense to try to live in between all those cities, plus I realize i can avoid traffic a little bit more. Thanks again.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:19 PM

3 posts, read 13,283 times
Look in to public transit around Ft. Meade.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:58 AM

45 posts, read 272,351 times
Default Ft. Meade area

I live in Columbia and it is very convenient to Ft. Meade, particularly if you live on the east side: Owen Brown, Oakland Mills, and Kings Contrivance. For the summer, you are most likely looking for a room in a house or a place to sublet. Check the Columbia Flier (weekly tabloid that comes out Thursday evening) for listings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland