Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 04:09 AM

6 posts, read 37,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmo65 View Post
I lived in Maryland for most of my life, and found that most areas were very diverse and welcoming. I'm wondering what area you found to be racist!
Same here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 01:26 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,908 times
I 'm sure that the suburbs are safer.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:32 PM

175 posts, read 733,553 times
Default I'd have to strongly disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrrussell2 View Post
Racism is more prevalent in Virginia than in Maryland. The population of Maryland in general seems to be more liberal and open-minded. Most racism I have personally experienced is directed from African-Americans to Caucasians in P.G. County.
Hi Jrussell,

I'd have to strongly disagree with you. I lived in TX,RI,VA,MD, Germany, and now MA and i've have to put MD at the top of my most racist states list. I've never seen or been around so much racism. It is both from whites disliking blacks as well as blacks disliking whites. It is certainly not limited to PG blacks disliking whites. I've been to Fredrick Maryland and a number of other places and heard whites so things about blacks, jews (not that i consider jews non whites), asians, and hispanics that i find extremely offensive. Please do not make Virginia out to be racist. In my dealings i've found white conservatives to be some of the easiest people to live around. Assuming they're fiscal conservatives haha and not far right wing civil right bigots. On the other hand i have found more "liberal" whites to be totally insensative nightmares to live around and those being the ones in Maryland. Maryland, is a very seperated state I mean if you want to give whites and blacks credit for living in the same neighborhood sure kudos to MD, but looks can be so decieving in MD. You're next door neighbor my hate your guts, but still smile in your face with a Hi. I wish people would stop trying to blame the "ghetto blacks" for their treatment of most blacks. Now, i'm not a fan of PG nor of "ghetto blacks", but must admit, that the majority of blacks or that matter any group are not "rude" people. If you're poor chances are you live around other "poor" people, that is just how it works. If you're well off chances are you live around other well off people regardless of color. I mean what you speak of has less to do with "blacks" and more to do with social class in terms of "rude." Have you ever traveled to Dundalk MD?

Old 04-09-2007, 09:19 PM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
I lived in MD all my life and can tell you Frederick use to be racist back in the day. Now that majority of the people in Frederick have moved there from the city, I would say it probably is not that bad as it once was. Same with Carroll County. But if you go out in the rural areas, yes I would say you may have a neighbor who was born and raised locally and may be racist. But nowadays that is far and few between.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:06 PM

7 posts, read 25,399 times
Default Where to live for Ft Meade?

Will be working at Ft Meade and could live on post but looks like the schools there are bad to mediocre. I have a very bright 12 year old and want a good school for him. Should I live off post so he could go to a better school?

I hear about good schools in Montgomery County but that seems a little far away. Are there affordable private schools near FT Meade? I am not rich but can rent in the right neighborhood if I can’t afford to buy a house.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:50 PM

40 posts, read 184,179 times
Someone said to name the places that are racist.

People in Pasadena, Severna Park, and surrounding areas for starters.

I've witnessed it and have been disgusted at how obvious a person behind a counter will treat a customer (I've noticed this particularly towards an Asian immigrant at the Safeway on Mountain Rd in Pasadena to be exact).

I'm not from here, so it's naturally more obvious to me. Social decorum is not a high priority when it comes to equality in this area.

Midelka, Severna Park is a nice neighborhood (and actually is diverse at the high school) and within driving distance to Fort Meade. My husband just retired and used to commute to Riverdale, we live around SP and go to Meade often. It would be about 25 minute commute, add 10 minutes for traffic, there are also alternate routes too.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:08 AM

238 posts, read 227,774 times
I agree there are a lot of racial tensions in MD and even in Montgomery county. Some blacks here are very aggressive particularly to whites. I've had two black females try to start fights with me when I would not back down and bow down to them like sheep.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:13 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
Holy Moly I've never experienced any of that here. I live in Columbia, MD. I am white and my friends and my children's friends are extremely diverse. Maybe I've not experienced racism in the extreme that has been mentioned here because I treat all people the way I would like to be treated so in turn I am treated the same. In my opinion this area of Maryland is a very good place to raise your family...I actually think it was rated number 1 or 2 this year in one of those national rankings...and I do agree. Jobs are plentiful, housing is reasonable (compared to salary and cost of living) and the schools are great. There are also lots of activites for families and kids here. Do not let these sour apples turn you away. Come and see for yourself and talk to people who live here. The only drawback that we have found is traffic during rush hour...but there are some things that can't be helped and if that's the only problem in an area then it's fine by me.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:27 AM

7 posts, read 20,546 times
Try to avoid the southern Md areas--Charles and St Mary's counties. Upper Marlboro is nice, but not necessarily safe everywhere. Calvert and Anne Arundel have some nice areas.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:04 AM

7 posts, read 52,415 times
Racist people exist in every community, town and city. The choice is yours weather or not to allow that to corrupt your daily life. The world would certainly be a much more peaceful place if this were not true but the fact of the matter is that we will deal with racisim for our entire lives no matter where we live. Racisim will only end when all races become one and that will not happen in our lifetime so, my advice to you would be to, love who you are and pray for those who don't. Live where you are happy and if you make a racist miserable then so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland