U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 01:26 PM

23,045 posts, read 29,765,479 times

Advertisements

A Facebook acquaintance has been touting the virtues of where she lives as a transplant. Cumberland, Maryland.

I have been to Maryland numerous times, but not to that region.

She sent me some very pretty pictures of downtown Cumberland. The scenery is beautiful if you like mountains. She also sent me some listings of homes that look quite nice and have amazingly beautiful views.

She is a transplant to Cumberland and thinks the area is "up and coming". Unfortunately,when I first lefyt my home state, I moved to an area that was also touted as "up and coming" by local cheerleaders who wanted others, similar to themselves, to move to the area.

Is this area "up and coming"? If so, in what way?

The place we moved to that did not work out for us, had a very clannish attitude when it came to outsiders.
It was very provincial and parochial. If you were not from a certain background and Roman Catholic, you were not welcome.

In Ohio, we have NOT had that problem. It's completely different from the part of PA that we left.

Our main problem with Ohio is our distance from friends, family, and Ocean Beaches. I am aware that Cumberlant is not on the shore, but it is a lot closer to Ocean beaches.

We have a tight budget but, Cumberland is even less expensive than Ohio. That gives me pause. Just what is wrong with it?

I am aware that I can Google things. I have. So if that is your answer, please scroll past this post.

In advances, thanking and repping anyone who takes the time to respond.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 03:38 PM

18,570 posts, read 7,133,140 times
I have nothing against Cumberland, it's quaint in some areas, but to call it up and coming - lol. I suppose if you want to retire it might be ok, Maryland taxes are high. Certainly no place to look for a well paying job. Calling the terrain there as mountainous is a stretch if you're not a flatlander. Kinda of like saying it's the tallest dwarf. It's approximately 200 miles to the beach

Old 05-16-2020, 06:16 PM

80 posts, read 65,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
A Facebook acquaintance has been touting the virtues of where she lives as a transplant. Cumberland, Maryland.

I have been to Maryland numerous times, but not to that region.

She sent me some very pretty pictures of downtown Cumberland. The scenery is beautiful if you like mountains. She also sent me some listings of homes that look quite nice and have amazingly beautiful views.

She is a transplant to Cumberland and thinks the area is "up and coming". Unfortunately,when I first lefyt my home state, I moved to an area that was also touted as "up and coming" by local cheerleaders who wanted others, similar to themselves, to move to the area.

Is this area "up and coming"? If so, in what way?

The place we moved to that did not work out for us, had a very clannish attitude when it came to outsiders.
It was very provincial and parochial. If you were not from a certain background and Roman Catholic, you were not welcome.

In Ohio, we have NOT had that problem. It's completely different from the part of PA that we left.

Our main problem with Ohio is our distance from friends, family, and Ocean Beaches. I am aware that Cumberlant is not on the shore, but it is a lot closer to Ocean beaches.

We have a tight budget but, Cumberland is even less expensive than Ohio. That gives me pause. Just what is wrong with it?

I am aware that I can Google things. I have. So if that is your answer, please scroll past this post.

In advances, thanking and repping anyone who takes the time to respond.
For the beaches I would recommend eastern shore Maryland, you can probably find a house there for a comfortable price similar to Ohio, Cumberland is just a tiny somewhat-tourist town with its main attraction being nature, and nature tours

Old 05-16-2020, 07:08 PM

6,311 posts, read 10,137,008 times
I live in Cumberland. "Up and coming" is not why you should consider relocating, as their really isn't any momentum towards growth right now, nor has been for decades. You would have to take us as we are.

Real estate is cheap because supply outstrips demand, and jobs are hard to find. These naturally depress real estate prices. This is good for people on a budget. We live in a historic house in a solid neighborhood with a nice yard. This would be impossible on our incomes nearly anywhere out in the state.

Our mountains are mountains. No, they are not the Rockies, but they are folded and uplifted strata with relief from valley floor to mountain ridge that exceeds 1,000 feet. It is rugged and broken terrain covered in a welcoming blanket of rich forest land. It is the most beautiful place I have seen, and yes, I have been up and down both the back and front range of the Rockies. They are majestic, but also forbidding and a place not to be taken lightly, ......you can live in the Appalachians much easier.

I would be happy to help out if you have any specific streets in mind. Not all are created equal.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:22 PM

17,529 posts, read 8,954,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticH View Post
For the beaches I would recommend eastern shore Maryland, you can probably find a house there for a comfortable price similar to Ohio, Cumberland is just a tiny somewhat-tourist town with its main attraction being nature, and nature tours
???

Old 05-16-2020, 08:30 PM

17,529 posts, read 8,954,091 times
Cumberland has some beautiful Homes and was once a nice place to live but it's been in "recovery forever". No employment. Some retirees have found it a nice place to go but it has some big issues. Being just down the road from Frostburg I would prefer to live up the road by the College. Any big shopping can be done in LaVale right off of rt 68 . Mountians are nice and you're not far from Deep Creek lake.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:49 PM

1,004 posts, read 436,967 times
If you like meth, Cumbersome could be just the place for you.... in a word, uh, no. A long weekend, uh, an enthusiastic yes!

Old 05-17-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stank1964 View Post
If you like meth, Cumbersome could be just the place for you.... in a word, uh, no. A long weekend, uh, an enthusiastic yes!
The meth belts starts in Garrett Co. to our west. We have more problems with heroin, but pick your neighborhood and friends well and the issues can be mitigated just like in any other community.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:26 PM

14,211 posts, read 8,101,530 times
I happen to like Cumberland very much. It has a lot of charm; the surroundings are stunningly beautiful; it's dirt cheap (at least compared to where I live, about 2.5 hours east of there); and I've found the residents to be a friendly lot. But, "up and coming" it is not. It's had hard times due to the contraction of industrial employment since, I don't know, maybe the 1960s? A long time, at any rate. Jobs aren't pouring into Cumberland; they've unfortunately been pouring out. Though, my impression is that things have stabilized in the past decade or two.

The area does have some decent amenities. Some nice restaurants. An enclosed shopping mall, including a Walmart and a movie theater, in neighboring La Vale. A sizable, modern hospital. A scenic tourist train. Direct access to I-68, which in turn makes travel to Baltimore, Washington, Pittsburgh, or Charleston pretty easy. There's even an Amtrak station with daily passenger service there.

OP, of special interest to you and your family, consider this: the Asian population in Cumberland is pretty much non-existent. You'll find a handful up in Frostburg, associated with the university there. But that's it.

I would definitely recommend a visit to Cumberland. It's a wonderful place in a lot of ways. But I'd think carefully before deciding to relocate there.

Old 05-17-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I happen to like Cumberland very much. It has a lot of charm; the surroundings are stunningly beautiful; it's dirt cheap (at least compared to where I live, about 2.5 hours east of there); and I've found the residents to be a friendly lot. But, "up and coming" it is not. It's had hard times due to the contraction of industrial employment since, I don't know, maybe the 1960s? A long time, at any rate. Jobs aren't pouring into Cumberland; they've unfortunately been pouring out. Though, my impression is that things have stabilized in the past decade or two.

The area does have some decent amenities. Some nice restaurants. An enclosed shopping mall, including a Walmart and a movie theater, in neighboring La Vale. A sizable, modern hospital. A scenic tourist train. Direct access to I-68, which in turn makes travel to Baltimore, Washington, Pittsburgh, or Charleston pretty easy. There's even an Amtrak station with daily passenger service there.

OP, of special interest to you and your family, consider this: the Asian population in Cumberland is pretty much non-existent. You'll find a handful up in Frostburg, associated with the university there. But that's it.

I would definitely recommend a visit to Cumberland. It's a wonderful place in a lot of ways. But I'd think carefully before deciding to relocate there.
There is an Asian enclave of sorts up on Haystack Mtn in Cumberland, probably more than Frostburg honestly. Think Seton Dr. and Bishop Walsh Rd. Our Asian population is small overall though and heavily skewed towards highly paid professionals, especially doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland