U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2020, 11:45 AM

4 posts, read 2,086 times

Advertisements

As a life long Marylander and a current Carroll County resident and homeowner in Hampstead, I know this is an anomaly....but please bear with me.

Let me start with stating my family is of mixed race AA and Caucasian.

My family and I have resided in the Hampstead community now going on 5 years and it's been good. Decent public schools, great daycare, nice parks and rec, nice rec councils for sports.

Of late, my eldest child (early Elementary age) has began to notice that most of her friends and surrounding residents do not look like her. I'll make this clear that this was a red flag prior to settling here but I sort of went with the notion that it's a developing area and things may change sooner than later. Their is a little validilty to that train of thought but for the most part, this area has not changed very much and probably never will in terms of real diversity both racially and thought wise. ie VERY Trump/All Lives Matter ish.

So with that being said, we are debating on relocating within Carroll County. Is this pretty much moot in Carroll County no matter where we are or will Eldersburg and Westminster serve as better fits?

Does anyone have any experience with particular schools both elementary and secondary in those areas?

Would love to hear from an African American family or mixed race.

Best,
SLF
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 03:16 PM

62 posts, read 25,005 times
I don't have personal experience, but Westminster and Eldersburg are probably going to be slightly more diverse as that's where most of the development is, though Carroll County as a whole isn't very diverse. If you're looking for somewhere more liberal, look into Howard or Baltimore Counties.

Old 08-12-2020, 03:26 PM

36,415 posts, read 46,984,604 times
I'm assuming you by diverse you mean Black/African American.

Carroll County is 93% White, 3% Black. I doubt if you'll find what you're looking for anywhere in the County.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:33 PM

6,491 posts, read 3,582,110 times
Not very diverse.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:31 PM

4,128 posts, read 4,059,213 times
What about just agreeing that there will always be people that look different and it shouldn't make any difference. If you like everything else about the area that seems like a minor reason to move. There will always be people that look different.

But it sounds like that is just an excuse because you are having problems living in an area that is more conservative than you are and doesn't seem to be changing fast enough for you. It is changing and has been for the last 40 years or so. But it is a very slow process

Old 08-12-2020, 09:19 PM

8,855 posts, read 5,006,084 times
If I may ask, what drew you to move to Hampstead in the first place? Were you aware that Carroll County is not diverse, and is not liberal? Did you feel at the time that this didn't matter, but have since decided that it does? Wishing that the county were different from what it is, is a recipe for frustration. I would recommend either accepting it for what it is, or relocating elsewhere.

You will find much more of what you're looking for, both in terms of demographics and in political viewpoints, in Howard County. If you want to stay in Carroll County, Westminster (7 percent black, 2.5 percent 2 or more races) is probably your best bet. Here are the percentages of black and multiracial students at Westminster's elementary schools (with the caveat that they don't say what those two or more races are):

Cranberry: 4% black; 5% 2+ races
Friendship Valley: 5% black; 4% 2+ races
Robert Moton: 9% black; 9% 2+ races
Westminster: 6%; 4% 2+ races
William Winchester: 8% black; 4% 2+ races

(Source for the above: Great Schools . org)

By the way, don't assume that the balance of students at each school is white. The Hispanic population in the county is greater than one might think. For example, Hispanics make up 17% of the kids at Robert Moton.

It is what it is.

Old 08-13-2020, 10:00 PM

4,128 posts, read 4,059,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
If I may ask, what drew you to move to Hampstead in the first place? Were you aware that Carroll County is not diverse, and is not liberal? Did you feel at the time that this didn't matter, but have since decided that it does? Wishing that the county were different from what it is, is a recipe for frustration. I would recommend either accepting it for what it is, or relocating elsewhere.

You will find much more of what you're looking for, both in terms of demographics and in political viewpoints, in Howard County. If you want to stay in Carroll County, Westminster (7 percent black, 2.5 percent 2 or more races) is probably your best bet. Here are the percentages of black and multiracial students at Westminster's elementary schools (with the caveat that they don't say what those two or more races are):

Cranberry: 4% black; 5% 2+ races
Friendship Valley: 5% black; 4% 2+ races
Robert Moton: 9% black; 9% 2+ races
Westminster: 6%; 4% 2+ races
William Winchester: 8% black; 4% 2+ races

(Source for the above: Great Schools . org)

By the way, don't assume that the balance of students at each school is white. The Hispanic population in the county is greater than one might think. For example, Hispanics make up 17% of the kids at Robert Moton.

It is what it is.

I laugh when I see Robert Moton as a school in Carroll County. It was the old segregated High School. It had been turned into a rec center (They didn't try to integrate it they just closed it when the integrated the system and moved everyone to their normal district High School. But even then North Carroll (which was created when they merged Manchester and Hampstead in the late 50s) didn't have any black students until at least the Mid 70s. The few families that lived in the district chose to go to Westminster instead, The North Carroll feeder system was lilly white for years. I don't know when it changed I think the elementary schools may have had their first black students in the early 70s. I guess enough time passed and they re-used the name

Last edited by MidValleyDad; 08-13-2020 at 10:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: