Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 02:09 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Peace Cross anyone?

Old 08-24-2020, 02:58 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
We have a 4-year college in Allegany County, there is a 4 year college 30 miles to my south, a 2 year college about a mile from my house, we have computers and internet access too for telework. It's 2020 man, even in the sticks we interact will all different kinds of people from all over the country and the world. You can accept that answer from a poster who has been here for 13 years and built relationships with many different posters from all over the state, or you can be the "new guy" and try to throw shade because you didn't enjoy being wrong about me. No matter what you think, I am confident that even the people who I disagree with most on here consider me honest.

Between higher ed., social services, and the prison system, my experience isn't unique out here. You only think it is because you don't know anything about my community. Your choice is to stick around and learn, or flame out here because you can't accept that people who disagree with you about Talbot County aren't old political hacks with no experience with diverse populations.
Yet another evasive non answer, from someone who says they work in higher ed. Allegany College has about 350 PoC, and Frostburg 1500. Garret at 100% PoC = 675.* That's 2500 out of a combined enrollment of 9,000 spread over at least five different locations, two of them in Pa. I can figure out for myself how many you interact with daily on a face to face basis.

The % of PoC at those colleges is higher than the % of PoC in the community at large. Prison officers of any race, dealing with prisoners of any race, is neither a normal or equal dynamic compared to society. Funeral homes interact with PoC too!
I have your measure now.*

Old 08-24-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Yet another evasive non answer, from someone who says they work in higher ed. Allegany College has about 350 PoC, and Frostburg 1500. Garret at 100% PoC = 675.* That's 2500 out of a combined enrollment of 9,000 spread over at least five different locations, two of them in Pa. I can figure out for myself how many you interact with daily on a face to face basis.

The % of PoC at those colleges is higher than the % of PoC in the community at large. Prison officers of any race, dealing with prisoners of any race, is neither a normal or equal dynamic compared to society. Funeral homes interact with PoC too!
I taught for 30+ in Prince George's County. Run those numbers.

The last school I taught at, and where I was for 25 of those 30+ years was 92% Black. So yeah, like you say, I've never been around People of Color.

Old 08-24-2020, 03:43 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:

On-campus populations are different than total enrollment. Students eligible and interested in support services skew toward PoC in several different areas, first time college students, diversity based services, and federal work study through financial aid are just a few examples.

Have you ever been to a college campus? Ever seen how a tutoring center, financial aid office, library, or student activity center operates? Literally 1000s of students pass through these buildings every week, 100s of people come in every day and request services ranging in time from a few seconds to much longer. Some individuals you only see once, others are daily customers you know by name. I have formed deep and meaningful relationships with these students. If you ever need to find a DJ for an Ethiopian wedding or party, I have a contact for you.

I've never shared where I worked with anyone on this board before. It was a concession I made for you to show some good faith after a rocky start. I've shared far more about myself than you have about yourself plus I have 13 years and 5,000 posts with more information if you want to dig deep.

Again, you have gotten support in this thread when others thought I treated you poorly. You are not going to find that support in trying to brand me a liar. Long after you have decided this place is either too boring or too mean for you, I will still be here. I have no reason to damage my relationship with the long time posters here by lying about my job just to troll you. Think about it........

Old 08-24-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I taught for 30+ in Prince George's County. Run those numbers.

The last school I taught at, and where I was for 25 of those 30+ years was 92% Black. So yeah, like you say, I've never been around People of Color.
I don't know what you mean by "run those numbers". What's your issue with them?*
I've never said or implied that you have never been around people of color.* Please don't try to put words in my mouth.

Old 08-24-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
On-campus populations are different than total enrollment. Students eligible and interested in support services skew toward PoC in several different areas, first time college students, diversity based services, and federal work study through financial aid are just a few examples.

Have you ever been to a college campus? Ever seen how a tutoring center, financial aid office, library, or student activity center operates? Literally 1000s of students pass through these buildings every week, 100s of people come in every day and request services ranging in time from a few seconds to much longer. Some individuals you only see once, others are daily customers you know by name. I have formed deep and meaningful relationships with these students. If you ever need to find a DJ for an Ethiopian wedding or party, I have a contact for you.

I've never shared where I worked with anyone on this board before. It was a concession I made for you to show some good faith after a rocky start. I've shared far more about myself than you have about yourself plus I have 13 years and 5,000 posts with more information if you want to dig deep.

Again, you have gotten support in this thread when others thought I treated you poorly. You are not going to find that support in trying to brand me a liar. Long after you have decided this place is either too boring or too mean for you, I will still be here. I have no reason to damage my relationship with the long time posters here by lying about my job just to troll you. Think about it........
I know, on-campus numbers are even lower than enrollment, but when you enroll you have to pay, so pick whatever number you like, I really don't care at this*point.
No, I've never been anywhere at any time, don't know, and have never met anyone who has.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by "run those numbers". What's your issue with them?*
I've never said or implied that you have never been around people of color.* Please don't try to put words in my mouth.
You sure about that Skippy?

Quote:
Now that I learn* you've been "in politics" for twenty years, your trenchant views make more sense. People in politics generally hold stronger views than the rest of us.*I looked at the demographics of Calvert & Allegany Counties, 83% and 93% white respectively. Talbot is 78% white, while MD is on the cusp of becoming majority minority, currently 50.2% non hispanic white.

Unfamiliarity with minorities and PoC generally may be part of the problem. Multicultural societies tend to be much more vibrant and progressive than monocultural. It's the same the world over. Also applies to mono theoistic cultures. It's a multicultural world out there. You can run but you can't hide. It's no secret that both R's and D's have changed, and are further apart than previously. I believe D's have changed less than R's.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You sure about that Skippy?
Ok, that's fair enough. I apologise.*
You haven't explained what your issue is with the college numbers?

Old 08-24-2020, 09:38 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Are you trying to be difficult on purpose? Take a look at what you wrote:

Quote:
I looked at the demographics of Calvert & Allegany Counties, 83% and 93% white respectively. Talbot is 78% white, while MD is on the cusp of becoming majority minority, currently 50.2% non hispanic white.
You listed the white share of the population of Calvert and Allegany counties, where North Beach Person and westsideboy (respectively) live. You then compared these figures with the much lower figure for the state as a whole. Your clear implication was that these two individuals are unfamiliar with people of color, and by extension don't understand their concerns and may even be indifferent to them, by virtue of living in relatively un-diverse counties.

North Beach Person then pointed out that he taught school in Prince George's County -- a county that is well-known for having a large black population -- for many years. "Run those numbers" was his way of saying that he has plenty of experience with black people, despite living in a mostly white county.

Honestly, this stuff is not that difficult. I don't know why you persist in trying to make it all more complicated. Idiomatic phraseology seems to confuse you. Is English not your first language? (Not trying to be snarky; I am aware that non-native English speakers, even very proficient ones, often have hard times with idiomatic speech.)

Old 08-25-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Are you trying to be difficult on purpose? Take a look at what you wrote:

You listed the white share of the population of Calvert and Allegany counties, where North Beach Person and westsideboy (respectively) live. You then compared these figures with the much lower figure for the state as a whole. Your clear implication was that these two individuals are unfamiliar with people of color, and by extension don't understand their concerns and may even be indifferent to them, by virtue of living in relatively un-diverse counties.

North Beach Person then pointed out that he taught school in Prince George's County -- a county that is well-known for having a large black population -- for many years. "Run those numbers" was his way of saying that he has plenty of experience with black people, despite living in a mostly white county.

Honestly, this stuff is not that difficult. I don't know why you persist in trying to make it all more complicated. Idiomatic phraseology seems to confuse you. Is English not your first language? (Not trying to be snarky; I am aware that non-native English speakers, even very proficient ones, often have hard times with idiomatic speech.)
NBP's comment on the numbers*was in a quote*of my numbers,........on the enrollment figures for the western MD colleges, not the counties I had earlier referenced. So unfortunate that you went to all that trouble..........

Here's the NBP post I was referring to.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/58986248-post143.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland