U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 07:42 AM

5,394 posts, read 1,713,847 times

Advertisements

Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw&t=18s
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 07:44 AM

3,888 posts, read 3,845,009 times
The Delaware Memorial Bridge, especially before they built the second span was known to be an exceptionally scary bridge to cross. The straight design and steep approach made it almost impossible to see 'the other side'. The curve in the Bay Bridge gives you a view of the destination and you can see that traffic is moving further on.

Old 08-23-2020, 09:30 AM

8,224 posts, read 4,676,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Btw, the scariest bridge I've ever crossed was the Copper River Bridge in Charleston, SC.
I assume you mean the old bridge. The "new" Arthur Ravenel Bridge is a thing of beauty, and an easy delight to drive across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The Thomas Johnson bridge between Calvert and St. Mary's Counties has an almost daily situation where someone freezes up crossing it as well as its fair share of jumpers.
Ugh, don't get me started on that horrible bridge. I think whoever designed it got their start designing roller coasters. The sooner they tear it down and build a decently designed, four-lane bridge in its place, the better off we'll all be.

I know that they built it way up high to provide for ship clearances, but I heard somewhere that the Navy no longer needs those clearances, because the ships that used to pass under it, no longer do. If this is true, I would think that they could build a much lower bridge that could still accommodate the sailboats that would still need to pass under it.

Old 08-23-2020, 10:07 AM

35,854 posts, read 45,994,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I assume you mean the old bridge. The "new" Arthur Ravenel Bridge is a thing of beauty, and an easy delight to drive across.

Ugh, don't get me started on that horrible bridge. I think whoever designed it got their start designing roller coasters. The sooner they tear it down and build a decently designed, four-lane bridge in its place, the better off we'll all be.

I know that they built it way up high to provide for ship clearances, but I heard somewhere that the Navy no longer needs those clearances, because the ships that used to pass under it, no longer do. If this is true, I would think that they could build a much lower bridge that could still accommodate the sailboats that would still need to pass under it.
That is correct. It's been on the MDSHA "Priority Funding List" for a couple decades (more on that in a bit) and has been on a safety watch status since a few years after it opened and it was discovered that the piers were crumbling.

Now, "more on that". It's been on the state's priority list, and finally got funding for a preliminary design a few years ago, until this year. This year the Charles County delegation and Commissioners got all SOMD highway priorities taken off the list and replaced by light rail to Waldorf. The **** really hit the fan and light rail was replaced by the old priorities the other day.

We're still looking at 2028 at the earliest for a final approval for the bridge. Preliminary designs keep the replacement at not quite as high. Some dumbasses want a drawbridge. But as I say, they're dumbasses and have another agenda at work.

Old 08-23-2020, 01:21 PM

103 posts, read 106,454 times
I have never liked driving over the Bay Bridge, especially at high traffic times. The narrow lanes and the grates have always scared me. I am eyes straight ahead, white knuckled with a death grip on the steering wheel when I drive it. Not thrilled about being a passenger going over it either but at least then I can close my eyes.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:38 PM

124 posts, read 9,000 times
I recall seeing a sign a few years ago, for parking for people who were opting to have someone else drive them across the bridge. There's a service for that, which seems to indicate it's more than an isolated problem.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:48 PM

35,854 posts, read 45,994,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
I recall seeing a sign a few years ago, for parking for people who were opting to have someone else drive them across the bridge. There's a service for that, which seems to indicate it's more than an isolated problem.
Yeah. It used to be done by State employees but was privatized a number of years ago. With the removal of the toll booths I wonder if their will be anyone stationed there.

Old 08-23-2020, 03:53 PM

16,644 posts, read 6,585,507 times
Quote:
The Copper River bridge is worse.

As for the Bay Bridge's design, it has to be remembered that both spans were designed without the expectation traffic would increase exponentially like it has. It suffers from the same problem the Metro system does-living patterns, and therefore traffic changed in ways not predicted.

The Thomas Johnson bridge between Calvert and St. Mary's Counties has an almost daily situation where someone freezes up crossing it as well as its fair share of jumpers.
The Harry Nice/ Mac Middleton Bridge crossing the Potomac into VA isn't much better .I will say they have started the new span just recently.

Old 08-23-2020, 03:59 PM

16,644 posts, read 6,585,507 times
Quote:
That is correct. It's been on the MDSHA "Priority Funding List" for a couple decades (more on that in a bit) and has been on a safety watch status since a few years after it opened and it was discovered that the piers were crumbling.

Now, "more on that". It's been on the state's priority list, and finally got funding for a preliminary design a few years ago, until this year. This year the Charles County delegation and Commissioners got all SOMD highway priorities taken off the list and replaced by light rail to Waldorf. The **** really hit the fan and light rail was replaced by the old priorities the other day.

We're still looking at 2028 at the earliest for a final approval for the bridge. Preliminary designs keep the replacement at not quite as high. Some dumbasses want a drawbridge. But as I say, they're dumbasses and have another agenda at work.
You should remember all the talk about a "second" bridge over the Bay from Calvert County and that magically much of the property that was under consideration for that was owned by Louis L, Goldstein former Maryland Comptroller from 1959 to 1998 .

Old 08-23-2020, 06:45 PM

8,224 posts, read 4,676,963 times
Quote:

I really hate it when politicians who know nothing about what they're talking about act like they do. Light rail is absolutely the wrong mode for Waldorf. Light rail is suited for a medium-density corridor in which a regular flow of people travel all up and down the corridor, throughout the day. But the Waldorf to Washington market is point-to-point and very highly peaked by time of day and by direction of travel. The preferred mode for such a situation is exactly what they've got: commuter bus. Or, if the demand increases to a sufficient point (which it may well do), then commuter rail, such as MARC.

If the Charles County politicians really want to do some good, instead of waste money on a white elephant, they should push for a two-lane transitway between Waldorf and Washington, grade separated to the extent possible, access to which would be available only to buses or HOV-3 vehicles. The lanes would be reversible, so you'd have both lanes heading inbound in the morning and both lanes heading outbound in the afternoon. You could have it be a two-way road during the midday and evening hours, still open only to buses and HOV-3. Failing that, maybe they could get a reversible lane, for buses only (no HOV), in the middle of Route 5, similar to this concept:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7008/...05ebe181_b.jpg

As far as a drawbridge at Solomons, forgive me for being a dumbass, but I'm not seeing why this would be a horrible thing. I mean, sure, no one wants to get stuck waiting for the bridge to go up. But, using completely hypothetical numbers, wouldn't it be better, in terms of the steepness of the roadway grade, to have a 50 foot high bridge that has to be raised twice a day instead of a 100 foot high bridge that never has to be raised?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or