U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 06:57 PM

18,568 posts, read 7,133,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Wait, what? FI and Bethany area are cheaper than OC area? The only thing for sale on FI sub-$1m is an empty lot and even that's $600k.
that's not what I said.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 07:10 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,378,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
that's not what I said.....
...you know we can see what you wrote, right? OP is interested in OC, but you suggested Fenwick and Bethany because DE is supposedly cheaper. Is that actually true? It hasn't been evenly remotely true, in my experience, but I only spend 2-4 weeks a year in Fenwick so maybe you know something I don't. Is there a cheaper area somewhere?

Old 01-31-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I bought in Ocean Pines in 2011 after looking all around, but I really needed within 15 minutes of OC, Max! Everybody says that its cheaper in DE so for s..ts and giggles I looked. It's not. That no state sales tax draws them in and the real estate goes up. Cheaper in Worcester County, MD if you want to be by the beach.

Looks like the OP is looking about 1 to 2 hours away and from her description I would think Easton/St. Michael's or the Kent Island area as that is only about an hour and a half from OC and not too far from Annapolis either. If she is OK with more congestion and the availability of more jobs and OK with a more expensive area Annapolis/Severna Park isn't a bad choice but that puts it just over the 2 hour mark from OC without traffic.
well I've lived in both for many years and still do part time. I don't have to look it up. Find any cost to live comparison Delaware is cheaper. To the OP, I'd try to nail down a more specific area than up to 2 hours from OC. Best of luck.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...tax-rates.html

Old 02-02-2021, 07:14 AM

14,570 posts, read 8,826,465 times
OP does not need to live at the beach, they said 1-2 hours and still close enough to DC to visit her family. To me that spells smaller eastern shore towns such as Easton, which is lovely, or Kent Island which does not really have a great main street like Easton does. Or perhaps Cambridge, which is a little bigger but it is a bit dumpier than Easton but has really nice spots too. Anything on the DC side of the bridge will not be 1-2 hours to OC.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
...you know we can see what you wrote, right? OP is interested in OC, but you suggested Fenwick and Bethany because DE is supposedly cheaper. Is that actually true? It hasn't been evenly remotely true, in my experience, but I only spend 2-4 weeks a year in Fenwick so maybe you know something I don't. Is there a cheaper area somewhere?
best for you to participate in threads where you have some knowledge of what you're talking about sport...Again, show me something that says living in Maryland is cheaper than Delaware......you can't

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...x-burden/20494

Old 02-05-2021, 09:41 AM

2,346 posts, read 1,638,617 times
I didn't think anybody said Maryland is cheaper.

Where is everything in Delaware.

One thing about that link, what is the COL? Delaware does not make any bottom ten list for COL. Nor does Maryland, nor did I say it does.

Those home prices in Delaware are low in many places because where is everything. Like JOBS!

The OP left out to much as usual to give any ideas.

Last edited by Digger 68; 02-05-2021 at 09:53 AM..

Old 02-05-2021, 09:54 AM

41,527 posts, read 54,102,989 times
Back to our original programming.

Maybe it's because of what I did for half my adult life but the first thing I noticed is that selina is looking not only for somewhere to live but also one that has street fairs, parades, community picnics, movies in the park, etc.

Ocean City sucks the air out of the room for a lot of those on the Lower Shore due to its events schedule. Those types of events take an incredible amount of organizing and even with an active volunteer committee vacuums up hours and hours and hours of paid staff time to make happen, an expense many small towns can't afford.

Also, while that wide spot in the road may have a name in Maryland that doesn't mean that it's a Town, it's just a wide spot in the road and the area is an unincorporated part of the County which may or may not have the types of events she asked about.

She also asked about trails and such. Those are going to be more common near the water excluding Ocean City which pretty much takes up the seashore. That means the Bayside towns like Easton, Cambridge, maybe Denton (which isn't Bayside), Queenstown, Havre de Grace, Rock Hall, Chestertown (the last four are the Upper Shore).

Fun Fact:
The reason those towns have boardwalks, parks and trails, etc. is because the State has thrown around **** tons of money to build them to promote tourism, not necessarily because the residents wanted them.

Crisfield in Somerset County might, in all honesty, fit her requirements but with three kids the Somerset County school system is problematic due to it consistently being rated among the bottom three in the State. It's also where my good friend the late cookbook author Whitey Schmidt moved to when he got fed up with Anne Arundel County.

Writing the last just reminded me of how many of my friends have died.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:00 AM

2,346 posts, read 1,638,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
OP does not need to live at the beach, they said 1-2 hours and still close enough to DC to visit her family. To me that spells smaller eastern shore towns such as Easton, which is lovely, or Kent Island which does not really have a great main street like Easton does. Or perhaps Cambridge, which is a little bigger but it is a bit dumpier than Easton but has really nice spots too. Anything on the DC side of the bridge will not be 1-2 hours to OC.
I second Easton, but schools......

Old 02-05-2021, 10:20 AM

41,527 posts, read 54,102,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
I second Easton, but schools......
Generally speaking the school systems on the Eastern Shore are in the bottom half/two thirds for the State. Having said that, outside the Top 3 the next seventeen or eighteen are clustered pretty close together with the bottom three separated below them by a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland