Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 5,729 times

Advertisements

Hello and good evening.I came across this website tonight and figured it would be the perfect place to ask! I'm a single divorced mom, and I currently live in FL with my 3 children who are currently 10( will be 11 in March )
8 & 6. I'm thinking within the next 2 years of moving to Maryland. I'm originally from NYC and have been to Ocean City MD many summers and I just love the beach and town. I would like to be within 1-2 hours driving distance from there. I would love a town with some nice parks with walking trails and paths to bike, rollerblade and maybe go fishing. Street fairs in the summertime, movies in the park and Holiday events like a St Patrick's day parade/4th of July, trick or treating, Christmas tree lighting... I would probably buy a house instead of renting and love houses with nice roomy porches
Also love a good main street with mom n pop cafes and unique boutiques. We are also a church going family, so an active church to get to know others in the community as well would be amazing.
Does such a town like this exist? Lol
Thank you to all in advance who lend the time to answer my post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 07:02 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
you may want to consider not only OC but also Fenwick Island and the Bethany area in Delaware, 8 miles north of OC. Delaware is less expensive than Maryland. A lot of NY/NJ retirees have moved there in the past 10 years.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:33 AM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
you may want to consider not only OC but also Fenwick Island and the Bethany area in Delaware, 8 miles north of OC. Delaware is less expensive than Maryland. A lot of NY/NJ retirees have moved there in the past 10 years.
Wait, what? FI and Bethany area are cheaper than OC area? The only thing for sale on FI sub-$1m is an empty lot and even that's $600k.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:49 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Wait, what? FI and Bethany area are cheaper than OC area? The only thing for sale on FI sub-$1m is an empty lot and even that's $600k.
I bought in Ocean Pines in 2011 after looking all around, but I really needed within 15 minutes of OC, Max! Everybody says that its cheaper in DE so for s..ts and giggles I looked. It's not. That no state sales tax draws them in and the real estate goes up. Cheaper in Worcester County, MD if you want to be by the beach.

Looks like the OP is looking about 1 to 2 hours away and from her description I would think Easton/St. Michael's or the Kent Island area as that is only about an hour and a half from OC and not too far from Annapolis either. If she is OK with more congestion and the availability of more jobs and OK with a more expensive area Annapolis/Severna Park isn't a bad choice but that puts it just over the 2 hour mark from OC without traffic.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:51 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Quote:
A lot of NY/NJ retirees have moved there in the past 10 years.
Another reason not to look there!

Old 01-27-2021, 06:19 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Another reason not to look there!
God forbid someone different from you spends money in your community

Old 01-28-2021, 09:58 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Yeah, Delaware is cheaper. Sure.

I do like Rehoboth more than Ocean City.

Old 01-31-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Hi, thank you for answering my post. As nice as Delaware looks, another reason why I'm looking into MD is because my brother his wife and kids live in Washington D.C and we wanna be close to them with the ability to drive to a beach as well

Old 01-31-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Yeah, Delaware is cheaper. Sure.

I do like Rehoboth more than Ocean City.
Hi, thank you for answering my post. Is Rehoboth in MD? also?

Old 01-31-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I bought in Ocean Pines in 2011 after looking all around, but I really needed within 15 minutes of OC, Max! Everybody says that its cheaper in DE so for s..ts and giggles I looked. It's not. That no state sales tax draws them in and the real estate goes up. Cheaper in Worcester County, MD if you want to be by the beach.

Looks like the OP is looking about 1 to 2 hours away and from her description I would think Easton/St. Michael's or the Kent Island area as that is only about an hour and a half from OC and not too far from Annapolis either. If she is OK with more congestion and the availability of more jobs and OK with a more expensive area Annapolis/Severna Park isn't a bad choice but that puts it just over the 2 hour mark from OC without traffic.
Hi, thank you for answering my post. I'll have to take a look into these areas you've mentioned. Commute time isn't a problem because I work for myself from home, so I don't mind the traffic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland