U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2021, 06:59 PM

997 posts, read 968,804 times

Advertisements

Hello, I've lived all around this country, including 14+ years in Baltimore, Laurel and Bel Air. I grew up in KY, but I am partially drawn to portions of MD I think due to my heritage being linked to Ark & Dove members of the Calvert family.

I'm currently living in San Antonio and scouting a few locations to retire in (I will be 59 at the time I plan on hanging up my coding skills). It's been a hot minute since I've been in St. Michaels or St. Mary's County, but I remember them being favorites of mine.

I'm curious to know if anyone here has first hand knowledge of the lifestyles in those places as it relates to retirees? I may split my time between MD and another locale in order to dodge income tax on retirement income, and to dodge the winters.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 03:34 PM

12,872 posts, read 24,686,429 times
Are you interested in living in a 55+ community? If so, there are ones in Easton, Centreville and Kent Island. Symphony Village in Centreville is one I particularly liked. The KHovnanian Four Seasons place on Kent Island is nice, but very expensive.

St Mary's seems way too quiet. St Michael's is nice to visit, but after two days, there's not much to do. Are you interested in sailing or golf? If not, how do you want to spend your time?

Please check out the availability of health care. You may be healthy now, but will develope more needs as you age. Easton has a decent hospital.

BTW, it is probably a good idea to have legal residence in another state to avoid Maryland taxes.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-04-2021 at 03:59 PM..

Old 04-05-2021, 07:37 PM

4,318 posts, read 6,488,617 times
https://somd.com is the best site to look into resources in St. Mary's County.

On the left side of their homepage, under "EXPLORE" is a column of different topics to select from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland