Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 06:34 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,330,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelpJuice View Post
Do you have a source for that? I know a lot of Republicans who are lukewarm toward Trump at best.
There are lots of people who despise Trump but still voted for him. In fact, everyone I know who voted for Trump says the same thing: voting for him was painful, but the Democrats left them no choice. The Biden/Harris administration will go down in history as the worst ever - by a huge margin. This disaster-in-the-making was painfully obvious to anyone who was paying attention during the election. I get why people don't like Trump. I get why they won't vote for him. What I don't get is how anyone could have voted for Biden/Harris. The Democratic party manipulated these two nitwits into office against the wishes of Democratic voters, much like they orchestrated Bernie's defeat in the previous election. All the more reason not to vote Democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 06:53 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
What I don't get is how anyone could have voted for Biden/Harris.
The alternative was a PROVEN reprehensible POS unworthy of the air he breathes.
How could anyone have preferred this? It's mindboggling.

Quote:
There are lots of people who despise Trump but still voted for him.
In fact, everyone I know who voted for Trump says the same thing...
I get why people don't like Trump. I get why they won't vote for him.
No argument here.
Quote:
The Democratic party manipulated ...
There IS some meat in this argument. It was true in 2008 as well when HRC managed to line up all the early support

so that the other candidates (eg my guy Bill Richardson NM) couldn't get funding
... and by that compelling grass roots campaign(s) to compete "against the machine".
We were lucky to have gotten Obama out of that debacle.
Quote:
...much like they orchestrated Bernie's defeat in the previous election.
This is where the meat slides off your fork. The Dems just don't have it like that.

If they did then Ralph Nader would have been "orchestrated" out of the mix in 2000 and EVERYTHING since would be different now.
Nope... that sort of orchestration is how the R's operate ... not the D's.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:45 AM

11,361 posts, read 9,274,423 times
I really hope Wes Moore wins. Has has all the tools to be an outstanding leader:

https://wesmoore.com/about/

Good riddance to Larry Hogan...

Old 01-23-2022, 08:16 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,859,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Governor Hogan will always get my vote.
Except for the fact that your perpetual votes for him will be meaningless since he's reached his term limit.......

Now if he was allowed to run again, and I was back in MD, he'd definitely get my vote. I really like him as a Governor.

Old 01-23-2022, 08:40 AM

6,998 posts, read 11,291,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The alternative was a PROVEN reprehensible POS unworthy of the air he breathes.
How could anyone have preferred this? It's mindboggling.

No argument here.
There IS some meat in this argument. It was true in 2008 as well when HRC managed to line up all the early support

so that the other candidates (eg my guy Bill Richardson NM) couldn't get funding
... and by that compelling grass roots campaign(s) to compete "against the machine".
We were lucky to have gotten Obama out of that debacle.
This is where the meat slides off your fork. The Dems just don't have it like that.

If they did then Ralph Nader would have been "orchestrated" out of the mix in 2000 and EVERYTHING since would be different now.
Nope... that sort of orchestration is how the R's operate ... not the D's.
Voters greatly dislike Trump, Hillz, and Biden. Both elections were forced choices for many of us. This was a lucky time to live in a state where your vote doesn't matter and can be tossed 3rd party or left blank with no consequence.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...alLeaders.html
https://news.gallup.com/poll/243242/...ating-low.aspx

To the point, when you have forced choice situations, you end up with voters holding their nose and deciding on specific issues or their general opinion of the party whose banner they are flying.

Old 01-23-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
...you end up with voters holding their nose and deciding on specific issues or their general opinion of the party whose banner they are flying.
Which gets us back to the single or wedge issue abuse we impose upon ourselves.

We need a Constitutional Convention to chuck out all the states rights fol de rol that allows/encourages it.
One Country with One set of Laws -- allowing the 6 or 10 social issues to drive the bus is insane.

Old 01-23-2022, 03:08 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:

We need a Constitutional Convention to chuck out all the states rights fol de rol that allows/encourages it.
One Country with One set of Laws -- allowing the 6 or 10 social issues to drive the bus is insane.
Are the issues that drive the voters where you are, runaway growth, urban issues, etc. the same ones that drive voters in the more rural areas revolving around lack of growth, rural poverty, etc.?

Your suggestion imposes that on a national scale.

Old 01-23-2022, 06:12 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,291,625 times
Quote:

Pretty sure a CC has to be called by 3/4 of the states, themselves. The GOP almost hit this high water mark sometime during the Obama years in terms of state houses controlled.

Of course, the states won't call a convention and then vote to take their own rights away.

What you are proposing is putting the Constitution in the shredder 'cause you don't like it anymore and replacing with a State with the same centralized power system we fought a Revolution to break away from. No thank you.

Old 01-23-2022, 06:46 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Pretty sure a CC has to be called by 3/4 of the states, themselves. The GOP almost hit this high water mark sometime during the Obama years in terms of state houses controlled.

Of course, the states won't call a convention and then vote to take their own rights away.

What you are proposing is putting the Constitution in the shredder 'cause you don't like it anymore and replacing with a State with the same centralized power system we fought a Revolution to break away from. No thank you.
That's the end game for a lot of people.

https://www.salon.com/2020/12/10/the...e-envision-it/

https://theweek.com/articles/750816/...row-start-over

Old 01-24-2022, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Are the issues that drive the voters where you are...
Substantially the same as those which concern people everywhere ...
even on the western shore of the Cheseapeake? Yes they are.

Quote:
Your suggestion imposes that on a national scale.
A long overdue "imposition" (to use your term)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: