U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 09:10 PM

3 posts, read 9,351 times
Default What can anyone tell me about Garrett Co?

Hi~

Can anyone give me any info about Garrett County? Particularly the McHenry/Deep Creek Lake area?

I have a son in 4th grade, so school info would be a huge help. I also have horses...is this area horse friendly/rural? How do they take to 'outsiders'? Stuff for kids to do (besides get in trouble)? Crime rate?

I've heard the winter in this area is "much worse" than other parts of Maryland. True or False? And if true, how bad is it?

Any other words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any advice you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 11:11 AM

2,372 posts, read 5,021,476 times
Willow, first off, I don't live there so take my info with a grain of salt. Garrett is very rural compared to central MD. It's in the mountains so the terrain is quite rough. I wouldn't really call it horse country. I suspect you might have trouble since reasonably flat land is all but non-existent. The winter's are a touch worse because of the elevation. They get a bit more snow out there.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:32 PM

97 posts, read 280,908 times
Hi, I'm from Garrett Co., the north east part. Around the lake is very touristy, winter and summer. When you get away from the tourist area it is very rural, lots of farms. The schools are small and have good teachers. I always liked the fact that everyone always knew everyone.

Garrett Co. is a plateau and mountains combined. and there are plenty of places for horse's. Lots of people have them there. Around the lake area is mostly Quarter horses, although most people are showing huntseat not western. There are also a couple of people who show and teach Dressage. The one lady trains in Europe every year. When you head towards the northern section of the county you will find several hunter barns. There is one barn that is mostly western and has Rodeo's and is on the barrel racing circuit. I also had a boarding/training barn. I taught huntseat and dressage. There are a lot of people who like to go trail riding and there's lots of state trails. Most of the horse people around here are nice and down to earth. They just like to get out and have fun with there horse's. If you would like more info please PM me. I can give you names of vets, fariers, and other stable owners.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:39 PM

Garrett Co. winter's can be very snowy, but like all places that have a lot of snow they are prepared for it and know how to keep the roads clean. One thing I always liked about it, when we had snow everyone else had ice. Summers are perfect.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 9,351 times
Are there areas in Garrett County to stay away from? (Ex: Not the best schools~high crime rate~lack of jobs~etc.?)

Old 01-12-2007, 03:02 PM

Theres really no bad area's, it's just all what you like. I prefer the northern part of the county. it's quieter, closer to the interstate. I like the schools a little better and Frostburg State University is close by. They have free tutoring.

There isn't many jobs around. This place just opened up, "Spectrum BioScience has opened a laboratory in the Northern Garrett County Industrial Park" and I believe there several other job opportunities coming to the Northern Garrett Co. Industrial park. you would have to check on it.

As far as crime goes there isn't a whole lot. Around Oakland you have some, but it's just like any city, the more people the more crime your going to see. Right around the lake and ski resort you have a lot of thefts, like ski's, snowboards and in the summertime water ski's. Most of that is done by other tourist. I lived on our farm for 20 years and never locked the doors, it never crossed my mind. We finally just put a lock on our back door when we put the farm up for sale. It's still for sale if your interested in a horse farm.
You can also go to city-data and look up the towns, I think the local newspapers are listed on there to. Hope this helps.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyh View Post
Theres really no bad area's, it's just all what you like. I prefer the northern part of the county. it's quieter, closer to the interstate. I like the schools a little better and Frostburg State University is close by. They have free tutoring.

There isn't many jobs around. This place just opened up, "Spectrum BioScience has opened a laboratory in the Northern Garrett County Industrial Park" and I believe there several other job opportunities coming to the Northern Garrett Co. Industrial park. you would have to check on it.

As far as crime goes there isn't a whole lot. Around Oakland you have some, but it's just like any city, the more people the more crime your going to see. Right around the lake and ski resort you have a lot of thefts, like ski's, snowboards and in the summertime water ski's. Most of that is done by other tourist. I lived on our farm for 20 years and never locked the doors, it never crossed my mind. We finally just put a lock on our back door when we put the farm up for sale. It's still for sale if your interested in a horse farm.
You can also go to city-data and look up the towns, I think the local newspapers are listed on there to. Hope this helps.
garrett co is a great place we have owned a vacation home ther for 5yrs .we are currently lookin to move there permenently

Last edited by kidd billy; 05-14-2007 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: placed reply in wrong spot

Old 05-14-2007, 02:08 PM

4,388 posts, read 11,314,141 times
Gerret county is a great place! here's a pic of the US's largest stone arch bridge near grantsville!

although some areas are little bit red necky, it is a wonderful place. It has MD's highest elevaton too

Old 05-14-2007, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,587 times
Default What about Oakland schools?

Can someone shed some light? We own a vacation home there and would love to live there year round, but I am curious about the quality of the schools.

~~BamBoo

Old 05-14-2007, 10:51 PM

429 posts, read 1,269,145 times
Isn't Garrett and Allegeny County, if not Washington County Pro PIT and more PIT than DC, BAL, in other words detached from the rest of MD?

Do you get PIT or DC, BAL stations, who is covered in the paper and which teams are rooted for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland