Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 02:48 PM

40 posts, read 105,577 times

Advertisements

Hi! I started a thread on here a few weeks back, but I figured I'd make a repost with more specific criteria. I currently live in Brooklyn, NY and I am looking to relocate in 1-2years. I have been doing research on Maryland, as it seems to have a lot of what I am looking for; however, I need to narrow down my selections and also maybe find some new ones that better meet my criteria. So, the following is what I am looking for:

(Keep in mind, work is not a factor in this, as my fiance works in wireless sales and can transfer to anywhere where there is a store!)
- Quaint, suburban/rural town: I don't mind having to drive everywhere, and I definitely do not want my neighbors houses right on top of mine; however, I don't want my neighbors to live miles away, either!
- Good, super *SAFE* area to raise a family with decent schools; I love the atmosphere of a small town where people are familiar with each other and where the town holds community events like festivals and such
- Low cost of living, would also like to be able to purchase a modern 3-4 bedroom home with a large backyard under $250,000 *** this one is very important
- No more than 6 hours from NYC (even that's a push, I would definitely prefer to have less of a drive)
- If possible, no more than 2 1/2 hours from a major city (Baltimore, DC, etc)
- No more than a 15-20 minute drive from major shopping and dining areas (malls, Walmart, nice restaurants, chain restaurants, etc)

I think that about covers it! I have very high criteria, yes! But all of your input as to specific towns or counties would be greatly appreciated! My fiance and I are going to compile a list and take a drive down once the weather gets nicer.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 09:07 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
Hmm, in MD I'd say look towards western MD or maybe eastern shore. Stay away from central MD - it doesn't fit your criteria.

Or maybe PA, or even MA.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:33 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
I don't know of any place like that in MD except my old neighborhood, which is kind of like the Village. Um, I think if you move to ANY suburban area, you will find a community feel if you look for it. I would recommend joining a religious group and attending their meetings. Lots of churches etc have events and activities for the members. In the city there are lots of street festivals and things like that, but the suburbs (at least in Northern Baltimore County) seem to have things like yardsales and private gatherings and not so many "garlic-fest" type of activities for the general public. Other suburbs I have lived in here seem the same.

For instance, the city has "Artscape," "Afram" (I can't remember the new name), Pride (gay pride festival), the Fells Point Fun Fest, Pow Wows etc. lots of art and music shows etc. that seem to go on all the time. Maybe they seemed to go on all the time because I was single and went out a lot more! I think suburban areas can be a little short on activities like that. You know, you step out the door and meet up with all of your neighbors, friends at some festival and then walk to a bar afterwards. Also, I think acquaintance groups in Baltimore seem to be smaller and more close-knit because there are lots of highly-educated people who seem to travel in the same circles. Because I guess compared to the vast majority of the city, that circle is small. In NY, there are more educated people so your circle of friends is bigger, but Baltimore is "Small-timore" in some areas. Anyway, as you well know the city has advantages, and the suburbs/rural areas have advantages, such as Safety and Fresh Air!

So here are my recommendations:
Anyway, so I recommend Church and joining the Library in Baltimore county. The public schools in some Baltimore County are relatively good. The student population also has some ethnic/racial diversity. Howard County also has better-than-average public schools and some ethnic/racial diversity. Plus better food than Baltimore County. Much better food. (If you're coming from NY, you may be shocked at how bad the food is at even the "good" restaurants in Baltimore County. Meat and potatoes defrosted seafood type of deal, but I digress.) Baltimore County has the Maryland State Fair every year!

Howard County also has a big fair, and in the summers you can drive all over the area from any Location in MD for Hiking, Pick-your-Own or wine-tastings. Personally I LOVE pick-your-own, farmers markets and family farms!!! There is a place called Oregon Ridge that has summer concerts, as well and that's in Baltimore County. So, not as many small festival-community-type activities, but you can enjoy other fun stuff like swimming holes and bike trails. You might also want to join the Sierra club to enlarge your group of friends and take advantage of the many cool natural areas in MD, WV and VA.

Well, I haven't hiked in years, so now I'm depressing myself! I can't believe I live around all this rockin' stuff and I haven't gone hiking in 3 years. Sigh. My husband is not a hiker, and I haven't hung out with my friends in ages. Sigh. Well this is not about me. Well, come on down. You'll enjoy it. It will be nice to have more NYers in MD. Again, supposedly the best public schools are in Northern Baltimore County and Howard County. IMO Baltimore city has the best private schools in the state, except for Oldfields, which is in Baltimore County. I wish I had a daughter so I could send her there!

Old 03-09-2009, 02:20 PM

22 posts, read 55,881 times
I just moved out of Maryland because I wanted all the things that you listed (minus the 6hrs from NYC), I am now living in Asheville, NC.

Maryland is very expensive, high taxes and if you live in Baltimore you would probably have to pay ground rent even if you own your home.
Howard County is nice, and there are areas that fit your description, but the price is closer to 700,000 for a home in a nice area with good schools and land.

Have you looked into PA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland