U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-16-2007, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,485 times
Default Anybody live in Severna Park? Please read this

I am wondering if it's a good idea to open a Thai-Asian restaurant in this city. Are there too many restaurants for local people? I'm very concerned about lunch times. It seems to me that there is not so many offices around town. So, it might not have any businesses during lunch time.

And I realize that most restaurants in Pasedena also close on Sunday. Cynthia's is closed every Monday. That means there is not much purchasing power for restaurants?

If you work there or live there, please give me advices. Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 03:24 PM

262 posts, read 1,513,577 times
Yep, Severna Park is not office-heavy so it doesn't sustain restaurants as well as Columbia or Annapolis or Rockville. But I think an Asian themed restaurant would do pretty well during dinner hours. Best locations would be in one of the large strip malls on Rt 2, or in the shopping center at the intersection of Benfield & Jumpers Hole.

Pasadena, even though it is close by, is not a good gauge to use for two primary reasons, though it may be a better choice for a location for you to set up shop. The two reasons are 1) the income level is much lower than Severna Park, and 2) Pasadena is farther from Annapolis, so many people in Pasadena will eat close to home whereas people in Severna Park are willing to drive the extra few miles for more selection/higher quality in restaurants.

I have a really fun idea (theme, name, etc) for your restaurant if you'd like to PM me, not sure if it would work but I've always liked the idea... I used to be a server a few years ago for an upscale DC restaurant, so the restaurant business really interests me.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:59 AM

9 posts, read 41,401 times
Default I live in Severna Park...

Thai-Asian restaurant would be a fantastic addition to Severna Park! You may not get a great lunch crowd, but you would be successful in the evenings. SP consist of well-educated, and cultured families. I think your dinner crowd would carry you well!

It is frustrating that several small eateries close on Monday, we have run into that problem. Please stay open 7 days-a-week.

Good Luck and Let us know what you decide!

Old 01-17-2007, 11:53 AM

4 posts, read 13,583 times
Default Asian food in SP

fyi, there already is an Asian restauraunt in the shopping center at Benfield and Jumpers

Old 04-20-2007, 02:17 PM

4 posts, read 13,469 times
theres a viet/french resturant at jumpers/benfield. and i work at cynthias. we close on mondays because the owners both work 100hrs+ a week (from morning till after dinner) and are there the whole time. Brians does the cooking, with the help of an assistant, and Cindy does the desserts, and helps brian out when theyre busy.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:59 PM

71 posts, read 319,698 times
I think a Thai rest would be great! It doesn't seem like the shopping center at Benfield and Jumpers would be good though because it seems to mostly serve locals only.
Have you ever eaten at that Viet-French rest? We tired it after seeing it for years. We were the only ones in there at the time and the food was not good. I wonder how they stay in business?

Old 04-22-2007, 12:20 AM

4 posts, read 13,469 times
haha thats funny you say that. I had always wanted to stop in and eat there, so finally I did one day by myself for lunch. It wasn't what i expected. My food smelled like when my dog goes out and rolls in something. I'm korean, and I eat alot of korean food...much of it being stinky, but nothing has ever topped that. needless to say, i couldnt eat the food and left unsatisfied =( i CAN say that the pastries are amazing there though (although over priced) . I do stop in sometimes just to get some

Old 02-24-2011, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,070 times
@Pkoons - your comment regarding Pasadena income being "much lower" is incorrect. Check current demographic data. average annual income in Severna Park is $109K compared to $89K in Pasadena. You have a very outdated perception.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:26 PM

155 posts, read 223,745 times
I would like to see a Thai restaurant anywhere around the Baltimore metro area that serves authentic Thai food. I am not big on restaurants that try to be Thai and also serve sushi and American Chinese food. Stick with one small menu and do it right.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:30 PM

6,476 posts, read 5,339,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanling View Post
I would like to see a Thai restaurant anywhere around the Baltimore metro area that serves authentic Thai food. I am not big on restaurants that try to be Thai and also serve sushi and American Chinese food. Stick with one small menu and do it right.
Thai Restaurant, Baltimore City: Thai Restaurant - Baltimore, MD

(It really is called "Thai Restaurant")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland