Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 08:16 PM

48 posts, read 87,606 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking of making an offer on a home in Highland, and the property is on Rt 108 and not far from Rt 216. The research on the schools tells us that they are excellent, and so far the residents seem to be decent, law abiding folks. So far I don't see any red flags. Can any of you comment on the pros and cons of this area? The only bad thing I've noticed so far is that our prospective house is right on Rt 108, so as busy as that road appears to be, it could be a challenge sometime pulling out into traffic, as well as the possible whoosh-whoosh-whoosh of passing cars.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 08:09 AM

460 posts, read 1,876,929 times
I have always loved the homes on 216 in Highland and the rural feel though it's minutes from major arteries and Columbia. of course, it is very pricey around there (at least where I like!) but it seems like a very clean, country type setting. Howard County schools and the feeder pattern there (Resevoir High, I think) - good schools.Living on Rt. 108 - well, you have to decide if you can live with it. that is a busy street and only busier during rush hour times. Also, think about possible expansion of the road in the future (check the master plan for HoCo). Traffic is only going to increase. The ICC is being built but with the concept of it being a toll road, i can see many many people driving out to "back roads" like 108 once it's down to avoid having to pay tolls every day.Will someone want to buy this house in the future seeing as how it sits on a main road? families with small kids almost certainly will not. It is going to take a decade to see positive property value gains.

You may literally want to wake up and sit in the area of the house during AM rush and repeat that during PM rush - do it on a Tues/Weds or Thursday because Mondays and Friday's are usually lighter on traffic because many people take these days a holidays or it is a school holiday as well, etc.

Can YOU live with the noise? Are there emergency responders located near you (i.e., police, firestation (a biggie on noise) - are you prepared to listen to that at all hours of day and night? Are you living in this house forever? These are all things you have to think about. You buy a house for you but if you EVER want to sell it our pull equity out of it (and that road probably WILL have a negative impact on an appraisal compared to other like properties that don't sit on a main road), you need to think about these things.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:36 PM

48 posts, read 87,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2moveup View Post
I have always loved the homes on 216 in Highland and the rural feel though it's minutes from major arteries and Columbia. of course, it is very pricey around there (at least where I like!) but it seems like a very clean, country type setting. Howard County schools and the feeder pattern there (Resevoir High, I think) - good schools.Living on Rt. 108 - well, you have to decide if you can live with it. that is a busy street and only busier during rush hour times. Also, think about possible expansion of the road in the future (check the master plan for HoCo). Traffic is only going to increase. The ICC is being built but with the concept of it being a toll road, i can see many many people driving out to "back roads" like 108 once it's down to avoid having to pay tolls every day.Will someone want to buy this house in the future seeing as how it sits on a main road? families with small kids almost certainly will not. It is going to take a decade to see positive property value gains.

You may literally want to wake up and sit in the area of the house during AM rush and repeat that during PM rush - do it on a Tues/Weds or Thursday because Mondays and Friday's are usually lighter on traffic because many people take these days a holidays or it is a school holiday as well, etc.

Can YOU live with the noise? Are there emergency responders located near you (i.e., police, firestation (a biggie on noise) - are you prepared to listen to that at all hours of day and night? Are you living in this house forever? These are all things you have to think about. You buy a house for you but if you EVER want to sell it our pull equity out of it (and that road probably WILL have a negative impact on an appraisal compared to other like properties that don't sit on a main road), you need to think about these things.
You are right on the mark. We checked with the county and sure enough, widening Rt 108 is definitely part of its Master Plan. The house where it sits now is within 25 feet of the road. With one small child, that was already a major concern for us, but we considered putting in a fence--IF we could build out to the road. Now that we know the road will eventually be widened, we know it will only be a matter of time before the county cites eminent domain and builds on the property to expand the road. Next thing you know, your front door is 10 feet from the road. No thanks!

We're looking at other places now within developments, or far enough off a main road to hopefully avoid this sort of mess. Thanks for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: