U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:17 AM

157 posts, read 542,339 times
Default move to Annapolis??

Hi we are relocating to the DC area this summer. I am kind of set on living in NW DC, but my husband is interested in Annapolis. I am trying to find out if there is an area that would fit my list of requirements:

1. I have two elementery age kids- want a top rated public elem school (I am not concerned w/ middle school, as we won't be there that long).

2. I prefer an area that is "walkable" to many of the following: shopping, restaurants, library, school, parks.

3. Although I am not completely opposed to new construction, I prefer the charm of older homes.

4. We want to spend about 800k for a min of 3 br. home.

Thank you for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 12:51 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,298,120 times
Default Look at South River!

You could look at the South River communities along Rte. 214/Rte 2. Edgewater Elementary is across the street from shopping center with K-Mart, Food Lion, McDonalds, has the South County Library next to the police station, all within walking distance. I just don't know if the school is top rated. Plenty of homes in both older and new construction. No problem being in your price range.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:00 PM

165 posts, read 636,075 times
Smile move to Annapolis??

I think you can find most of what you want in the Annapolis area or if you don't mind driving to both Annapolis and DC you can look into some of the other areas down in Southern Maryland.

Your biggest problem is the "walkable" requirement. Most of the newer homes (not necessarily new construction) are in communities that are a few miles from the real shopping areas and parks. One of the areas I'm most familiar with is Huntingtown, MD. About an hour from most of DC and Annapolis, MD.

A home I lived in for 5 years is in an area that about 7 miles from the old time main street town of Prince Frederick, MD which is finishing a brand new library and is actually adding some real shops for quenching my wife's thirst to spend (or so it seems). In the other direction is Dunkirk, MD where there's a really nice public park and yet more shopping. Either way there's a little drive between your front door and getting there.

While the schools are great, both public and private, you're still talking mcmansions for most homes. 4+ bedrooms, over 3000 sq ft, less than an acre of land, 2 story colonial style homes. Some look like cottages if you get a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom8 View Post
Hi we are relocating to the DC area this summer. I am kind of set on living in NW DC, but my husband is interested in Annapolis. I am trying to find out if there is an area that would fit my list of requirements:

1. I have two elementery age kids- want a top rated public elem school (I am not concerned w/ middle school, as we won't be there that long).

2. I prefer an area that is "walkable" to many of the following: shopping, restaurants, library, school, parks.

3. Although I am not completely opposed to new construction, I prefer the charm of older homes.

4. We want to spend about 800k for a min of 3 br. home.

Thank you for your help!!!

Old 01-31-2007, 07:35 AM

40 posts, read 123,644 times
I highly suggest listening to your husband on this one unless you're dead set on living in DC b/c you plan on utilizing all DC has to offer. Personally, if I didn't have to, I wouldn't raise my kids there.
Top rated schools? You'll be in ANNE ARUNDEL County in Annapolis. Severna Park High School is one of the best in the county, but Severna Park is a separate area. 800K will find you an extremely comfortable home in AA county and the commute to DC off of route 50 isn't bad. We live in the area, (north of Annapolis) and my husband commuted to the DC area (near College Park) daily off of 50, which ended up being the best way to travel.

I've heard good things about Riva. We're transplants, so don't take my word on it.

Annapolis has a decent mall. There's a few good places to eat. There's a Whole Foods market, Trader Joes, and Nordstroms. It's also a Navy city, in some parts. You'll definitely find a more distinguished home in an older section of town there. It's breathtaking in parts.

What you do want to do is check out aacps.org for school district info.

There are MANY MANY highly "acclaimed" private schools in the area. Archbishop Spalding is one (sp). A rough guestimate for tuition is : 15K/yr per child, and a possible discount for multiple children attending.

If you choose to live in Ellicott City, which I really recommend (we live in AA county with a much lower budget for housing than you, and is the only reason we chose this area), make sure you purchase your home in the area that Mt. Hebron services.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:47 AM

40 posts, read 123,644 times
I just found you a home in historical downtown Annapolis:

look it up on realtor.com ANNAPOLIS, MD 21401
MLS ID#: AA6119908

Old 01-31-2007, 11:44 AM

157 posts, read 542,339 times
Thanks for the info!! Unfortunately we can't afford private school (I believe it is more like 20k!), I think I would like downtown Annapolis- shopping, restaurants, quaint homes- but the public schools are no good.

I really don't want to live in a place where the only shopping is at the mall...

Does Ellicot City have a downtown?

Old 01-31-2007, 03:11 PM

7 posts, read 20,975 times
Ellicott City has a little historic district with restaurants, shops, etc.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:01 PM

7 posts, read 38,728 times
Hi! I don't know how much I can help...but my husband and I lived in the DC area (Bethesda and Silver Spring) for seven years. We JUST moved to Annapolis seven months ago. We own a house in downtown Silver Spring that we are currently renting, in a phenomenal family-friendly, "Sears Craftsman" style neighborhood. We adore the neighborhood, neighbors, and the Montgomery County schools are top-notch. We moved to Annapolis because we are sailing junkies, and we are in love with the (even older!) architecture, restaurants, pubs, and WATER. It has been a dilemma for us because we chose our neighborhood in Silver Spring based on the school system, proximity to the red line metro (2 block walk), family-friendly (and progressive!) neighbors, walk to newly renovated downtown (complete with AFI Theatre), etc. However we are absolutely in love with Annapolis based on the proximity to the water. We don't have kids yet so we are not quite sure what we will do in 5 years when we're faced with the school system here...which offers great programs, but has a bad reputation (the Annapolis high school offers the International Baccalaureate program; the middle school will hopefully have it soon). If you are considering NW DC...the public schools are not going to be any better than Annapolis. If I were you, I would look into Bethesda, MD. My only complaint, after living there for 4 years, is that it is incredibly "upper class" and snooty. Annapolis has money...but it is a much more laid back crowd. Tough decision...but if you're only talking about a few years, with kids in elementary school, you can't go wrong with either downtown Annapolis or Montgomery County (Bethesda or downtown Silver Spring in the Woodside neighborhood).

Old 02-23-2007, 01:46 PM

184 posts, read 474,376 times
I'm the opposite of edog0000 -- we lived in Annapolis several years ago and now live in the Woodside area of Silver Spring.

Annapolis is cute and quaint but as a parent, I don't think the downtown is an especially practical place to live with several children. The historic houses near downtown are small. Downtown offers cute shops but is low on practical things (like groceries or hardware). We spent a LOT of time going to the mall, and I am not that into malls. I have no experience with the schools but their reputation isn't so good.

I love NW DC. There are good elementaries (Janney, Lafayette) but houses in those zones tend to be more expensive. Also look at Bethesda, Kensington, Silver Spring. They all have some walkable neighborhoods and older homes, and I really think you might find what you're looking for there. Nice libraries, movie theaters, restaurants, kid activities. My NWDC friends spend a lot of time trundling out to Bethesda for kid-friendly stuff.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,872 times
Smile Try Broadneck, Chesapeake, Severna Park School districts

Hi there,
Just joined the group- I have a unique perspective- ex who lives in Annapolis - I live in Severna Park. Annapolis public schools are terrible-from what I read in the papers recently- all of the teachers at Annapolis High School have to reapply for their positions for next year. I am not sure why the school system is so bad considering there is so much money there. I was surprised to hear that the schools are FAILING for the 4th year in a row. I think that Annapolis is over-rated if you are raising a family. t I think I would shoot for Broadneck schools (Arnold Md) Severna Park schools or Chesapeake schools (Pasadena). Arnold and Severna Park have a great reputation and you still get the on the water Annapolis kind of feeling (reputation is kind of snooty though- from what I have heard). Pasadena is more redneck BUT really nice people and the schools are good and SAFE. Down mountain road toward Gibson Island there is a BLUE RIBBON elementary school called Bodkin. Teachers are Great. And with Pasadena you get more BANG for your Buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland