Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 06:13 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,905,834 times

Advertisements

I also suggest almost any other place within central Montgomery County (Rockville, Silver Spring, Gaithersburg, Germantown, Kentlands, etc.) or maybe Columbia if you want to find a racially progressive place in MD. However, you may still run into high housing prices, so I would probably stick w/ a condo or townhouse for the moment. But if you do move to those areas, you'll more likely not regret it, as places (basically within Montgomery and most of Howard County) have nationally top-ranked public schools, safe communities, plenty of nearby eating, entertainment and shopping options, and fairly progressive and affable race relations - something that most other parts of Maryland lacks (even in AA), despite it being a blue state. IMO, for a place w/ slightly better shopping, schools and race relations, I would recommend moving somewhere either in Loudoun or Fairfax County, but you mentioned that you wanted to stick in MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 07:25 PM

35 posts, read 174,264 times
I live in Severna Park. The school that feeds into my neighborhood is Jones Elementary. There are a lot of mixed kids that go there. I don't think it is an issue at all. Severna Park is a very friendly place.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:45 AM

46 posts, read 187,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lau3 View Post
I live in Severna Park. The school that feeds into my neighborhood is Jones Elementary. There are a lot of mixed kids that go there. I don't think it is an issue at all. Severna Park is a very friendly place.
Thank you so much for your input, and for taking the time!

Old 10-04-2008, 10:13 PM

5 posts, read 25,791 times
I used to live in this community in Annapolis. I searched and it looks like there are a few rental and purchase listings on the street I used to live. It's great for kids and I am Asian with half Asian kids. Great community for kids and great school system.

Last edited by 7th generation; 10-05-2008 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: removed realtor link

Old 10-06-2008, 10:41 AM

13,609 posts, read 20,664,651 times
I know two interracial couples in Anne Arundel country- Hispanic/Jewish and African-American/WASP.

No worries at all. They love living there and everyone loves them, their kids, etc.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:58 AM

266 posts, read 908,352 times
I have a family member who lives in SP, and she loves it. Very friendly neighborhood, everyone knows each other, almost like the way neighborhoods used to be. I can't imagine interracial couples would have any problems there.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,915 times
My brother and his wife (who are interracial) are looking to move to Arnold because they are closer to the private schools in Annapolis. Many of the elementary schools are very good in AA county but the private schools are excellent as well, have you considered them?

Old 10-06-2008, 08:36 PM

92,060 posts, read 122,237,106 times
I was thinking Columbia too. I think I've heard or read it is the most interracial friendly town in the US at one time. Montgomery County doesn't seem bad either. What about Silver Spring? Fairfax Co. in VA would be an option if you want to live on the other side of the Potomac. You can check school information out here:Maryland Schools - Maryland State School Ratings - Public and Private

Old 05-25-2014, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,386 times
My boyfriend are older and the kids are going off to college. We are not worried about the school district. We are an interracial couple and are looking for an area other than Columbia, MD to move to that is interracial friendly. I spent many years in Columbia but want to be closer to the Bay Bridge area but remain on the Western Shore. Any ideas?

Old 05-26-2014, 05:20 PM

29 posts, read 54,918 times
If you can afford it, I'd recommend Severna Park. The schools are awesome and it is a great area with plenty to do. I have many happy clients who have moved to SP from out of area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland