U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-02-2008, 08:36 AM

4 posts, read 14,148 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I reallly need your help. Ok, so we now find ourselves moving to Maryland. My wife is an RN, working here in Hilton Head, SC at a hospital that still does paper charting, and in a work enviorment that is unhealthy and still stuck in the last decade. I understand that the pay is better there and the hospitals are among the best in the US. So we will be relocating there in June/July timeframe and want to start planning now to purchase a home in a safe area, at an affordable price, near good shopping and with a convient commute to work every day. I know...... have my cake and eat it right? lol Anyways, can anyone please reccomend the best places to work, and live as an RN in the MD, DC, VA areas???? THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 09:08 PM

106 posts, read 306,641 times
I think your biggest problem is going to be too many choices. There are outstanding hospitals, some with specific specialties that may fit your wife's skills. Does your wife have any specific areas of medicine that she is especially suited for. There is a website that lists the area hospitals and their specialties. It is http://www.expertsinrealestate.com/medical_centers.pdf. In addition to these hospitals there is always NIH. These hospitals are all in the DC area. Once she decides where to focus her job search you can begin your home search. With the market the best it has been in years for buyers you should be able to find what you are looking for.

You didn't say what your career is? Will that play a large part in your home buying decision?

Good luck.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:23 PM

1,389 posts, read 4,459,822 times
What is your price range?

Old 12-04-2008, 10:10 PM

4,683 posts, read 7,399,945 times
There is a serious health care shortage on the Eastern Shore. I think Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury has a shortage of nurses. All over the Eastern Shore they are trying to attract health care peopel and that is the nice, pleasant part of Maryland. There are plenty of hospitals in the Baltimore area like Univ of Maryland, the VA hospital, Hopkins, Franklin Square, Mercy, and St. Josephs but I don't know if they have a shortage.

I personally would avoid Montgomery County....very expensive, very hectic pace of life, unpleasant people.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:58 PM

22 posts, read 66,299 times
Hi Tom Lennox and others,
What's a good way to find out about part-time health care work on the Eastern Shore?
Thanks!

Old 01-24-2009, 09:33 AM

3,428 posts, read 3,715,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
There is a serious health care shortage on the Eastern Shore. I think Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury has a shortage of nurses. All over the Eastern Shore they are trying to attract health care peopel and that is the nice, pleasant part of Maryland. There are plenty of hospitals in the Baltimore area like Univ of Maryland, the VA hospital, Hopkins, Franklin Square, Mercy, and St. Josephs but I don't know if they have a shortage.

I personally would avoid Montgomery County....very expensive, very hectic pace of life, unpleasant people.
I have lived in the area on/off for 18 years of my life (recently relocated down to Florida). I do agree that Montgomery County has grown very hectic and expensive. Lets face it, there are a lot of (I hate to incite race...but lets face it there are a lot of "day laborers" who live 7-8 for a home intended for 4-5 people or an apartment that's supposed to fit 4 and have 7 living in a 2 bedroom).

But the Eastern Shore is not for everyone. If you like the "country life" than its a great choice. But the Eastern shore is too far for my me. I like to be within 15-30 minutes of a city. I'm not a city person myself (tried the NYC and DC life and didn't like it).

The Baltimore area has cheaper housing (not cheap...but cheaper than DC suburbs)

Plenty of health care jobs all over the plenty. Eastern Shore does have more "needs" than the metro area for obvious reasons.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:44 AM

876 posts, read 1,505,802 times
Were you referring to your commute to work or hers? A cheaper alternative to the Eastern shore is Southern Maryland (Calvert or St. Mary's County). My mom has been a nurse at St. Mary's hospital for 15 years. A lot of people just don't know about Southern MD. Property is much cheaper down here, we have some of the best schools in the state, crime is low, population is low. However if you are looking for city life this is not the place for you. There are places that you can live down here that are slightly more populated like where I live in Lexington Park/Great Mills. I have access to numerous restaurants, Wal-Mart, Target, grocery stores all within a 5 minute drive, yet with none of the crime or congestion of a big city...

Old 01-27-2009, 11:18 AM

259 posts, read 491,838 times
The working conditions for your wife on the Eastern Shore will be similar to South Carolina. Move to Annapolis and work at Anne Arundel Medical Center. You could also live on the Eastern Shore and work at AAMC, tons of nurses do that, better pay and better working conditions at Anne Arundel.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:14 AM

8 posts, read 13,739 times
Looking to move to baltimore- pending job at Mercy. ANY help on where to live so I am near hospital and can commute rather then drive to hospital would be greatly appreciated. I know there are many areas to avoid but can't get a straight answer from anyone. I also don't want to spend 2000 a month on rent. I am single lady and safety is a must. Please help thanks again

Old 06-26-2010, 01:17 AM

12 posts, read 47,561 times
Good luck I've been here did my time and ready to get the hell out of Maryland. Chow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland