U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-12-2006, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 21,674 times

Advertisements

I am a MD native looking to purchase my first new home (townhome, single family, no condo). Renting in an area is easy, one year...then you are free to go elsewhere. Owning a home...a little more tricky. I have heard that Severn MD is not a good place to live. When I've been told that, I'm assuming crime and ammentities. ??? Are there good and bad areas? Severn has very affordable homes to purchase and other than what I've seen travelling towards the airport, I assume are some there are nice areas. I don't know much about the area. Can someone enlighten me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2006, 11:43 AM

262 posts, read 1,574,791 times
Post Severn

Severn can be rough - by AA County standards it is probably the worst. Pioneer City is located in Severn, which is probably the highest crime neighborhood in the county. But, if you do find a Severn neighborhood you like, you can't beat the location (10 mins to Ft. Meade, BWI, UMBC, 20 mins to Annapolis, Baltimore, and Columbia, 30 minutes to DC). Try neighboring Millersville or Odenton, which are similarly priced. Millersville may be my new #1 recommendation for starter homes (in this area, meaning $400K and under)If you have a little more to spend, check Gambrills/Crofton or Severna Park. I'm happy to recommend good neighborhoods in any/all of these locations.
Good luck!

Old 03-27-2007, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 17,263 times
I think Severn is getting a bad rap. I have lived in Severn for 5 years. I live in a brand new and beautiful development. We have had very little crime and our neighborhood is very well kept. Our neighbors are friendly and we feel completely safe to take evening walks and enjoy the friendly atmosphere. Most important, we feel safe here with our children. Severn is a great place to live in regards to commuting to Balt, Annapolis and DC. Very accessible to BWI and the MARC rail system. Of course there are a few undesirable areas (which are easy enough to just avoid), but believe me, I've lived in AA Co. long enough to also know that Severn is NOT the worst in the county!!

Old 01-29-2008, 01:33 PM

6 posts, read 26,378 times
There's nice areas but be sure and duck if you hear gunfire ( in the old pioneer city that has surely been renamed twice by now :-)...I miss hanging around there and taking my little Katie to the playgrounds..nice people there for the most part.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:30 PM

18 posts, read 63,466 times
Ok, this is pretty simple. The first thing you need to do is to drive around and make certain that the look and feel of Severn appeals to you. Only you can answer that. You can then go on line and look for crime stats in the area. No matter where you live there will always be crime. Next, you understand to understand how much home you can afford. Talk to a lender that you trust. Really, what you can afford will drive where you can live.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:36 PM

143 posts, read 614,264 times
I lived in Severn for 9 years. I also have family living there. maybe some areas aren't as nice as others, but that is for you to decide.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 13,273 times
pioneer city have a lot of kids and teenagers, it is no where for them to go during the summer months. Except for the mall, I have lived in pioneer city for seven years, It is something always going on every once in while you will here a gun shot, also the kids don't know how to act when getting on the bus going to the mall. So I advise if you come into the area, come at night to observe what's going on. It also is a lot of section 8.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 10,896 times
I live in Severn and it's a pretty easy divide in terms of crime and good neighborhoods to raise a family. West of Telegraph Road/ Rt. 170 and North of Disney road (aka Pioneer city)- not good. Also, the schools are not as good either. East of Telegraph Road and south of Donaldson road is less crime and better schools. Liquor stores, aparment houses, low-income housing, interstate highways- anywhere you have an increase in transience- translates into higher crime. The county posts annual crime statistics here--- so you can see the big difference in crime by neighborhood. [url=http://www.aacounty.org/Police/crimeStats.cfm]Crime Statistics[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland