U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-04-2009, 06:05 PM

69 posts, read 266,814 times
Default Getting approved for social security disability in maryland

I just filed for Social Security Disability in June, 2008, and to date have not received an answer. I not only have had three back surgeries, laminectomy, diskectomy, curetting of disk material, etc., but I recently severely fractured my right wrist in April, underwent two surgeries, and will be undergoing my third very shortly. I am in constant pain from both. The wrist fracture is on my dominant side. On top of that, I have high blood pressure which is uncontrolled. I have also been going to a pain clinic for over five years to help control my back pain symptoms because I am not eligible for anymore back surgery because of osteoporosis and not being able to secure the hardware, and now my wrist pain. I am close to the age of 55, and have worked since I was 15-1/2.

Can anyone help me understand how they make the decision about who gets SSD (social security disability) and who doesn't? I have talked to numerous people in passing and they have told me that they are on SSD because of post-traumatic stress disorder. Because of what? I know what it is, but I also know the people personally and I would like to know what their stress is from!!! Their biggest stress is no money to buy beer or cigarettes. There was no Vietnam, no Iraq, no armed forces, and no spousal abuse, etc. Then how? Others I see and talk to are in wheelchairs or walking on crutches, are on oxygen tanks and can't even walk 10 feet because of leg or back injuries, and they were denied SSD.

Please, explain this to me. I have read all the booklets, all the web sites and every magazine article I can find and still don't understand how they can turn some people down and give it to others. Please tell me your story. How long was it after you first filed before you got your yes or no? Did you file an appeal if denied, and if so, how long before the hearing, and did it go to trial or was it settled right before trial? If you got it, but had to file an appeal to get it, what was your story and how much did they owe you in back payments? How did you and/or your family survive on no money coming in, waiting to hear about the SSD. I have been out of work for 9 months now, and I don't know how much longer I can hold out. We have not asked for any help from relatives, but it is getting harder and harder.

I am just trying to understand the system and how it works. Everybody says: "they turn everybody down the first time". Is this true? Do they follow you around with cameras to support your claim? I just want to hear your story or a friends story or a relatives just because I honestly am curious about the hardship this puts on families waiting for a case worker to look over your medical evidence and to either decide yes or no.

I would really appreciate hearing from people and sounding off if you need to about the system, about your diagnosis, about how your family survived waiting, and if you had to change your mind and give in, and go back to work in pain because of the amount of waiting time. Thank you from the bottom of my heart if you answer me. This would not only help me understand, but could help others as well who may also have to apply for Social Security Disability because of catastrophic events and injuries.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 06:12 AM

7,308 posts, read 9,151,855 times
You applied. Did they call you to be interviewed? Did they aask you to see their doctors? If you haven't done this or other steps, then ou need to call and inquire about your application. You should have had an answer by now. If you've been approved you should be getting a check soon. It takes 6-7 monhs from date of application to first check.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:38 AM

1,297 posts, read 2,495,088 times
Welcome to Government red tape. I was diagnosed with severe ostioarthritis (sp) 1 yr. ago. I have been unable to work for 18 months now and wife makes 1000.00/mo and 150.00 food stamps and we take one day at a time. We only have rent and utilities and cable so bills are only 650.00/mo and old car paid for and never do or go anywhere.

I can't walk without cane and my left hip locks up and I am unable to move an inch for sometimes up to 2 hrs cause of intense pain. Sitting, sleeping, standing and riding in a car for 1 hour at a time are almost unbearable. I take 3000mg of Vicadon, 2200mg of ibprofen, muscle relaxer,Paxel, blood pressure med, lasic, daily mostly to just dull the pain. This gives you a general idea of my situation but not downgrading yours.

I applied 16 months ago for disability and was turned down twice. I hired an attourney and she only took the case if she thought I would win. Her fee is maxed out at 3300.00 no matter how long it takes and owe nothing if I get nothing.

She does everything and lets me know what and where I have to go to get tests and evaluations per ssi rules. I am 49 and you need enough working credits to qualify and I have nearly double. You can see what you will get when you get yearly statement from government. It is based on how much you made in previous 5 yrs. and backpay is your monthly times months out of work to settlement and then gov't keeps 5 months of that, is'nt that nice.

I made decent money and should get 40 to 60,000.00 back minus 3300.00 and 1409.00/monthly income. We moved to Kentucky so cost of living is less than when we lived in Indiana. My judge that I am to go before to see if I get it is scheduled for July to Sept. of 2009 unless gov't decides to put off again.

What you are going through is normal and most everybody gets turned down twice so I would get an atourney immediately if not sooner and get ball rolling. Most everybody I know seems to be on disabillity also and are able to do everything I can't and a lot only make about 400/mo so I would rather work if at all possible than only struggle with 400/mo. But I don't know whole story either.
Don't give up and good luck and lets keep each other posted on progress and if you have any questions we can come up with answer hopefully.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,280,701 times
Yes, get an attorney to help you with the process. Also call and request a status update. You should have some sort of answer by now. Have you applied for Maryland Medical Assistance and the Temporary Disability Assistance Program in Maryland?

See these links for more info:

Family Investment Administration: Medicaid (http://www.dhr.state.md.us/fia/medicaid.htm - broken link)

Family Investment Administration: TDAP (http://www.dhr.state.md.us/fia/tdap.htm - broken link)

Good luck.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:50 AM

6 posts, read 10,851 times
i filed dec 2009, it is now aug 2010 and i too had not heard anything back. so i thought it was going through. so i called last week and was told i was denied and the letter was sent jan 2010. they also said they tried to call me. neither of these things happend. when i asked why i was denied they said lack of medical info, that i never sent in the release forms for my medical. again they never sent those either. when i asked when they sent those they said they sent them with the denial? ok now its getting fishey. lol so i asked them to kindly send me a copy of the denial and a copy of the request for medical release forms. all they sent was the denial. when i called back they said they were going to send me a request for reconsideration of the appeal. which is cool as it fast forwards me. soooo then the next day lady calls says forget the reconsideration just send in the medical release and they were going to back date to dec 2009. again fishey. so what that basicly did was make me have to basicly start at A. my attorney was hoping the reconsideration would fast track us past the dds first wait period, and go to recon then get denied and be on our way to the 18 month wait. so what i did was send in both, so now i basicly have 2 claims that will have to be combined somehow or they will be admiting they effed up. i wait to see where it goes. but one thing i know this time is, i am going to drive them frigging nuts about the progress and i dont care if it takes 2 years. i will check every month they are going to know me by name before i am done. the longer they wait the more i will call. because i now know that they can screw up and if we dont keep check on it, it will be our own fault. just like my depression, and degenrative disc, and atrial fib is all my fault. my sleep disorder is my fault my hep c is my fault. or so they think. lol

Last edited by daddyjack; 08-29-2010 at 02:53 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-29-2010, 02:55 AM

Default Have to keep checking ourselves

i filed dec 2009, it is now aug 2010 and i too had not heard anything back. so i thought it was going through. so i called last week and was told i was denied and the letter was sent jan 2010. they also said they tried to call me. neither of these things happend. when i asked why i was denied they said lack of medical info, that i never sent in the release forms for my medical. again the y never sent those either. when i asked when they sent those they said they sent them with the denial? ok now its getting fishey. lol so i asked them to kindly send me a copy of the denial and a copy orf the request for medical release forms. all they sent was the denial. when i called back they said they were going to send me a request for reconsideration of the appeal. which is cool as it fast forwards me. soooo then the next day lady calls says forget the reconsideration just send in the medical release and they were going to back date to dec 2009. again fishey. so what that basicly did was make me have to basicly start at A. my atourney was hoping the reconsideration would fast track us past the dds first wait and go to recon then get denied and be on our way to the 18 month wait. so what i did was send in both, so now i basicly have 2 claims that will have to be combined somehow or they will be admiting they effed up. i wait to see where it goes. but one thing i know this time is i am going to drive them frigging nuts about the progress and i dont care if it takes 2 years. i will check everymonth they are going to know me by name before i am done. the longer they wait the more i will call. because i now know that they can screw up and if we dont keep check on it it will be our own fault. just like my depression, and degenrative disc, and atrial fib is all my fault. my sleep disorder is my fault my hep c is my fault. or so they think. lol

Old 08-29-2010, 05:50 AM

Never heard back from the OP. Oh well. It is a myth that everyone gets turned down the first time. I was not turned down.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:50 PM

885 posts, read 1,656,857 times
I work for SSA.

I am NOT in a decision making position but I do see different types of claims.
It is imperative that forms be completed accurately, have proof, show up to appointments, call the office if you do not get and feedback.

The economy is bad and guess what? EVERYBODY is filing for disability checks. Everybody has a bad back and depression. Everyone is mentally disturbed in some way. I see so much of this that I am skeptical that 80% of people even have anything wrong with them. With that said there is a 2-3 year backlog on cases, so cases are processed in the order in which they are received.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:12 AM

Ok so what or who is "op". Also to not be denied the first time you must be a 110% legit nutcase. Or missing your limbs, or your nuts? Lol

Old 09-02-2010, 04:33 AM

"OP" = Original Post (or Poster)

To not be denied the first time, you need to prove your need, but also, it helps to have a "real" disability that they recognize as such. Lots of people trying to game the system really hurts those who really need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland