U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:01 PM

14 posts, read 46,361 times
Default Very interesting...

My bill jumped $200 this month, just installed a new high effency heat pump last summer.

I think they are "cooking the books".

Everyone I talk to said the bill jumped. Here is what I think is going on, the guy comes to read the meter and puts in the actual amount. Someone on the inside is changing the totals to increase funding for BGE, the parent company filed Chapter 11 recently. Think about it, if you don't check your meter, you have NO idea what the real useage is...and they know that.

I am not a consiracy theory guy, but this doesn't make sense at all. BGE said this month had more complaints than they had in 30 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 04:43 AM

966 posts, read 1,068,710 times
My thermostat is set on 66 degrees in the winter and my bills routinely run $500 to $650 and that is with a heat pump, oil furnace for when the temperatures drop below 30 degrees, and a wood pellet stove that runs 24/7 all winter. My summer BGE bills run between $200 - $300 monthly and we RARELY ever use the air conditioning, although we do have a pool that has a pump running 12 hours a day. It is a large older home but all my friends who live outside Maryland are amazed at what we pay.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:03 PM

1,837 posts, read 3,566,054 times
last bill for me was $445 - 208Therms/1024KWh used (6.7/33 daily). Gas heat on a 3600sq ft house (dual zone). Set to 65 normally.

The usage is not out of line with the comparison they provide with last years usage. But the cost has definitely risen.

For those that purchase the actual supply/commodity from other companies, do you know if BGE's deliver charge increases? Just wondering if they stick it to you either way.

Last edited by macroy; 01-22-2009 at 12:51 PM..

Old 01-22-2009, 06:16 PM

460 posts, read 1,242,249 times
Wow, this is really discouraging. I remember hearing about the price hike with BGE a couple of years ago while living in Frederick and that's when Allegheny decided to start charging customers to offset their rate hikes, which I think start next year. We are freezing our butts off and i though we'd actually come out ahead when they do the first quarterly adjustment, but I guess we'll just keep doing what we're doing and see what happens.

I will go ahead and pop my head outside on the 16th of the month and read the meter (to the best of my ability), seeing what someone else posted before.

Back to Allegheny and their phase -in rate hikes - they are no saints either. We sold our house in July 2008 and stayed in a relative's condo while house hunting. We ended up there for 6 months before buying our current house in December, and going on BGE. Anyway, I tried FOUR TIMES to get Allegheny to refund the rate stabilization charge I'd been paying before we moved out of the area. The problem seemed to be (though i wonder how they handle their military clients with this) that b/c I could not produce another utility bill in our names they were not going to refund the money -- our utilities are bundled into the condo fee so there is no separate bill for electricity or gas.

I JUST GOT the first BGE bill today and I'm faxing it tomorrow to Allegheny - I was assured that I will now get my refund. . . even though they also tried to tell me I had only 90 days after discounting service to claim it. So we'll see what happens . . . press outlets, here I come if they try to screw me again. . .

Old 01-23-2009, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,080 times
Default BGE Bills too high

Hello,

I am new to the forum. Although I am not paying $900-1100, my bill on average has almost doubled from last year. We are not doing anything different and are generally very 'energy saving' conscious in our home. Thermostat stays at 65-67 in Winter and lowest of 77 in summer. I have a wood burning fireplace to supplement in winter. House is only 7yr old with high-efficiency gas furnace, electric water heater, and well insulated home.

Seems like we are at the mercy of the utilities....Is there anything that can be done??

Old 01-23-2009, 09:38 AM

835 posts, read 1,985,884 times
Wow, like I posted before, our bills are low compared to everyone else. Maybe because we do only have one heating grate in the whole house (about 3' x 4' in the middle of the floor between the dining room and living room) this has made a major difference. Maybe I should feel blessed (instead of feeling sorry for myself) for living in a home with an ancient heating system. BTW, the lack of modern ammenities in my home is made up for by the charming original woodwork on doors and windows. LOL.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:04 AM

960 posts, read 1,435,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
My thermostat is set on 66 degrees in the winter and my bills routinely run $500 to $650 and that is with a heat pump, oil furnace for when the temperatures drop below 30 degrees, and a wood pellet stove that runs 24/7 all winter. My summer BGE bills run between $200 - $300 monthly and we RARELY ever use the air conditioning, although we do have a pool that has a pump running 12 hours a day. It is a large older home but all my friends who live outside Maryland are amazed at what we pay.
Washington Gas is my provider. I set my thermostat at 70 last November, and my gas bill for December was $143. But my electric bill for December more than doubled to $280 - the amount I generally during the peak summer months. I generally run the a/c 24/7.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:28 PM

460 posts, read 1,242,249 times
We got our bill and I figured out that we are actually using about $83 less than the budget billing. I'm satisfied to do if for the first year we are here to track our usage and what we would pay month-to-month and then go off budget billing if there continues to be a big discrepancy (I mean, do they actually refund money or credit the last month of the year or anything like that - if not, I'll want to keep my money myself!).

Never satisfied, though,I went and adjusted downward our automatic thermostats by 2 degrees for every adjustment during the day. We have dual zone HVAC but unfortunately the way it was set up in the house is not too great - instead of having say, the rooms you use during the day on one zone and the rest on the other, it's all screwed up between the first and second floor. zbu I guess that's what you get wih an old house..

Until my kids complain of cold, I'm determined to keep even more of my money to myself.

Today was a dream (55 here in Laurel). . . bring on spring!!!

Old 01-26-2009, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,003 times
I just got my bill, $518 with 3700 sqft, built 1996, 2 heat pumps and 1 propane unit (1st floor). I live in the Fallston area. Last years bill was $300. I did add 500 sqft over the garage with a 2 ton MR. Slim. I also use about avg $120/mo propane for heat on first floor, stove and hot water.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:10 PM

10 posts, read 26,832 times
I lived in an apartment last year , kept the thermo at 68 for the winter, and the BGE bill was 300.00!!! Unbelievable!

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-27-2009 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: watch your language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland