Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:03 PM

810 posts, read 2,160,708 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing the dc metro area's growth rate is a big contributor. baltimore metro not as much. then you have the rural areas which I guess like most rural places aren't so transient. you always here about how transient md is.
it seems like even if the dc metro is transient you still may find a large cohort of people born and raised in the area. but dc doesn't have a big regional identity or at least not something like food/accent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 06:09 PM

542 posts, read 1,498,558 times
DC obviously has an overbearing influence on nearly everything in Maryland, and I think its status as the capital city and its economies causes the state to be very transient. And especially since Maryland is a small state, the influence will be much greater.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:18 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,353 times
My husband is a 2nd generation Marylander, and he is a rarity. We moved away, so we broke that chain.

When I lived there, I found that as soon as someone retired, they moved back to wherever they came from, or to some planned retirement area, such as Florida.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:22 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
My husband is a 2nd generation Marylander, and he is a rarity. We moved away, so we broke that chain.

When I lived there, I found that as soon as someone retired, they moved back to wherever they came from, or to some planned retirement area, such as Florida.

One of the reasons for that is that MD taxes retirement pay. PA does not, nor do many others. Unless it has changed FL has no state income tax.

I'm a MD import but have been here so long most of the natives think I went to high school with them.

Where I live (Calvert County) had a stable population for 200 years, started to increase in the 1980's and really took off in the 90's. Many of the newer residents (last 8 years or so) have moved here with the idea of flipping their house. That's not working real well right now. Main problem is that many people will move from the more urbanized areas, and this holds true everywhere, and imediately want to change where they moved to into what they left because they miss it. We have a pavilion/platform on the Town boardwalk, every year someone comes in with the "idea" that it would be a great place for a Tiki bar. Or they want the watermen to stop crabbing or the duck hunters to stop hunting and even people to stop swimming at the beach.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 01-29-2009 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: new thought

Old 01-29-2009, 07:55 PM

542 posts, read 1,498,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
and even people to stop swimming at the beach.
Lol.

Though the DC area is spreading south and east into Charles County and such, I sorely hope that places in Maryland like Calvert County don't go the way of the dodo. It's one of the places that are relics of Maryland history that are still largely untouched.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:39 PM

564 posts, read 1,493,241 times
I grew up in MD and most of my friends were from MD originally too. My close friends all have parents who grew up here too. My maternal grandfather's family has been in Maryland since the American Revolution, my dad's side, since the late 50s. I don't know if it's so much transient or that people come here from other paces and often stay. Probably more "transient" types though around places like Ft. Meade and APG due to the military I'd guess. I grew up in Rockville...

Old 01-30-2009, 08:08 AM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
D.C. does have a very strong identity. It is not an identity based on history, or common ancestors, or dialect, or many of the other things we normally think of. The D.C. identity is based on being the elite of government, bureacracy, and military. Income, education, bureaucratic titles, stuff like that is the measuring board of how people belong. The fact that individuals can move in or move out any time they please and still consider themselves part of the club is what attracts many people to region, and is the reason other despise it.

Overall MD is a very divided state, we were at the time of Revolution, were during the Civil War, and still are today. There are many ways to divide up the pie. Eastern Shore vs. Western Shore, Baltimore vs. Washington; Western Maryland, the Eastern Shore, and Southern Maryland all have strong rural regional identities. The transient nature of a large geographic portion of the state hasn't really eroded this, if anything it has strengthened the sense of difference the other regions feel.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:09 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,224 times
There are a lot of multiple generation marylanders down here in St. Mary's county. It is still pretty rural down here...

Old 01-30-2009, 10:44 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
I've been in Maryland my whole life, as were my parents and grandparents. After being on the forum for awhile I noticed that many people were transplants. I started a thread asking if there were any true Maryland natives out there. There were many responses and, suprisingly enough, there are quite a few people born and raised here. However, there were also quite a few that, although born here, were desperately seeking to get out or had already left.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:48 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
I can only imagine the pain the natives of the central part of the state must feel to see the farms and open spaces they grew up around be divided up, sold off, and inhabited by commuters, many off whom have little knowlege or interest in the character of the area. I don't know if it would drive me away or not, but it would be like watching your home be destroyed. Things change though, we must live in the present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland