U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,986 times

Advertisements

I've read through quite a few threads and gotten some useful info, but I thought I'd try posting my situation.

What would you say or recommend as the better apartments that are quite safe with rent close to or under $1000?

I know there is a trade-off for safety/quality and price, but I've gotten mixed reviews on quite a few areas in Columbia and would like to hear what anyone else would know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 01:17 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,754,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneye2131 View Post
I've read through quite a few threads and gotten some useful info, but I thought I'd try posting my situation.

What would you say or recommend as the better apartments that are quite safe with rent close to or under $1000?

I know there is a trade-off for safety/quality and price, but I've gotten mixed reviews on quite a few areas in Columbia and would like to hear what anyone else would know.
Not sure said animal exists without section 8 support.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 11,921 times
My first response is um...it's Columbia. I lived in various areas in DC and then Montgomery County before moving here...and I can't think of a single place in Columbia that I wouldn't live.

However, not sure you are going to be able to actually find an apt. in your price range. What about parts of Elkridge that bump against Columbia and Ellicott City?

Old 02-05-2009, 01:26 PM

37 posts, read 125,926 times
Go here and they have apartments ratings from people who have lived in various apartments: Columbia Apartments for Rent - Columbia Apartments Reviews and Ratings. But "mac-n-gouda" and "turbo" are right in that you are definately not going to find an apartment for under 1,000. If you do, let us know! haha. The cheapest are between $1,000-1,200. Most of the apartments are good, but "mac-n-gouda" was also very wrong in that there area few places you want to avoid if you value safety, maintanence, and other living conditions. Take that from someone like me who has lived around maryland (pg county, baltimore) and then in one of the lowest priced apartment complexes in columbia. Columbia is nice overall but it's no exception to the rule, an area with a lot of section 8, illegal immigrants, etc.... just low-income period you might end up in a ghetto. Here's an example in a post here Columbia apartments. The complex I lived in was in oakland mills, (dorsey's forge, now called "the verona"). You will see more after you check the apartment ratings website. To be in a decent complex you might have 2 put out more money for rent, like maybe $1,300+.

Last edited by oneofthethree; 02-05-2009 at 01:42 PM..

Old 02-05-2009, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 11,921 times
*shrug* I've lived in what are considered low income apartments/areas and now live in a high end unit all in Columbia.

I've had the same issues in all my apts. Speeding through parking lots, rude neighbors who party until all hours of the night, trash, dogs not on leashes etc. As for the illegal immigrants - some of my best neighbors were illegals - they work hard and generally keep to themselves. Even now my high end unit has issues with vandalism and people breaking into cars - crime happens everywhere.

But I'd take section 8 in Columbia over anything in SE DC or PG county anyday.

The best thing you can do is be alert, aware, and get to know your neighbors. Oh and get renters insurance, it is only a few dollars a month and completely worth the investment.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:46 PM

I've lived in baltimore city and some of the lowest priced apartments in PG. The apartments I lived in in Columbia were just as bad as the ones in PG County, there was no difference haha. But the apartments in Columbia change back and forth over time, and I experienced problems of a different nature than yours. Many pest problems, horrible maintenance, car theft, had my apartment broken into, drug trafficking, people smoking weed on steps, fights and assaults, and there were even a few murders over the time, and etc.... Of course the city is worse, more gangs and murder, same thing w/ DC though i've never lived in DC. But I lived in the city for 5 years and the apartment complex for 8 years.... the apts. were still not much better. I don't want somebody to go and live there thinking it'll be very nice when you can do a lot better w/ many other complexes. You're living w/ the same people that you'd be living w/ in the city who just relocated to the burbs. Why go through the experience or test it out if you don't have to? And I have no problem w/ illegals, but the majority of ones in my neighborhood were very loud and had no respect for the grounds. But everything is just one person's opinion though, my word is not any more powerful than yours, and vice versa. People just gotta look at the apartment reviews and make there own choice......

Old 02-06-2009, 06:09 PM

It is interesting that Columbia is being compared to PG and Baltimore for apartment life. I am not sure that those areas are comparable to where the OP is coming from. Being not as bad is not something people normally seek in life. In many areas of the country you can get a great apartment in a safe area well under $1,000.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneye2131 View Post

where are you coming from? In order to help people need to know what your standards and expectations are.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:06 PM

19 posts, read 71,213 times
We lived in The Greens when we were there (2003-2005). They were older but in a nice area with low crime and reasonable rent. However, they were changing ownership when we left so I don't know how they are now. That whole loop at the end of Little Patuxent Parkway south of the hospital was nice. It was quiet and wooded, with access to the paths and not far to get onto 32 or 95. I never liked the northern part of Columbia much because it was overdeveloped, and there are pockets in every village you might steer clear of. If you spend some time driving around, you'll probably get a feel for them.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:19 AM

"Being not as bad is not something people normally seek in life." haha true
"In many areas of the country you can get a great apartment in a safe area well under $1,000." Yup. And in Maryland to. But in Columbia, Montgomery County, nope. Goldeneye, want us to tell you some alternatives of another area in your price range and whether you want it more in the baltimore or dc area? Or if you're willing to spend more so we can help steer you in the right direction in Howard County? There are some good places in Anne Arundel county which is east near by with rent under $1,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or