Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2009, 01:03 AM

3 posts, read 15,955 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My husband and I are moving out to Maryland from California. He'll be at grad school in College Park, MD, and I'll be at Johns Hopkins (the medical school) in Baltimore. We were thinking of living in Elkridge, as that seems to be pretty in between. Google maps says the distance from Elkridge to Baltimore is 12.5 miles and the drive takes 22 min. Is this accurate? I'm worried the drive could be much worse during rush hour. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 02:08 PM

3 posts, read 15,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhopeful View Post
Hi everyone,
My husband and I are moving out to Maryland from California. He'll be at grad school in College Park, MD, and I'll be at Johns Hopkins (the medical school) in Baltimore. We were thinking of living in Elkridge, as that seems to be pretty in between. Google maps says the distance from Elkridge to Baltimore is 12.5 miles and the drive takes 22 min. Is this accurate? I'm worried the drive could be much worse during rush hour. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Anyone have any ideas about this commute? Thanks!

Old 02-22-2009, 05:02 PM

41 posts, read 174,215 times
If Google says 22 minutes, I would say 35 minutes on a good day. I-95 at the Baltimore beltway can get backed up pretty bad during rush hour. Then there's the constant stop and go in downtown Baltimore.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:53 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,708,816 times
Hi, I currently commute to UMD from Montgomery County using MARC and Metro. An excellent commuting option for your husband would be the MARC commuter train Camden Line which has a busy Dorsey station located about 5-15 min from Elkridge (depending on where you live). The University operates a free shuttle bus service to the school, which is about 2-3 min away, that runs every 5 min (or less) in the mornings. I would suggest it for you as well, but I don't know where in Balt. you would work (the Camden Line goes to the Inner Harbor across from Camden Yards), plus while there are about 5 or so DC bound trains during the morning rush, there are only 3 trains heading to Baltimore. Trust me, it probably beats 95 (a road I rarely travel on).

Old 03-08-2009, 04:17 PM

5 posts, read 62,090 times
The drive from Elkridge to Baltimore is very easy and traffic isn't nearly as big of a problem as it is getting to DC. There are commuter buses and Marc trains available, but I personally think the drive is fine. As for getting to college park from Elkridge- that will be more of a hike. During Rush Hour expect at least 45 minutes.

I lived in Elkridge, then Columbia, now DC. Columbia and Ellicott City are also both good options for splitting a commute between College Park and Baltimore.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:04 PM

3 posts, read 12,127 times
I will be starting a job at Johns Hopkins Hospital and looked into living in Elkridge. I picked the area because the MARC train from BWI goes to Penn Station, where Johns Hopkins has a free shuttle. However, now I'm looking elsewhere (Ellicott City, Catonsville, Halethorpe) because I haven't heard good things about living in Elkridge, unless you are far away from Rt. 1.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:31 PM

205 posts, read 822,153 times
I don't think you'll have any problems with the commute. Most of your problems will come from the area. Elkridge is right under an approach path for BWI flights. To complicate things, most of the foreclosure activity in that area is focused on one community that has very poorly insulated houses and townhouses with astronomical monthly fees. The jets are exceptionally loud when they come overhead due to that. Rt. 1 is also pretty bad.

You should search around some more. Try to avoid Rt. 1. Go further west or east from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland