U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-03-2009, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 23,216 times

Advertisements

We're thinking about moving to Columbia MD. My husbamd works in downtown DC. Can anyone tell me about the commute? How far is the nearest MARC train station? Does the parking lot fill up? How long is the drive?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 03:57 PM

2,332 posts, read 3,292,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley5 View Post
We're thinking about moving to Columbia MD. My husbamd works in downtown DC. Can anyone tell me about the commute? How far is the nearest MARC train station? Does the parking lot fill up? How long is the drive?

Thanks!
You would want to take the Camden line that runs from Baltimore to Union Station and the closest stations to you would be Jessup, Savage and possibly Laurel and Laurel Racetrack. As with most commuter lots, they fill up quickly and the earlier you get there, the better chance of you getting a spot. The parking at these mentioned lots are free.

The drive, I'm assuming you are asking to DC from Columbia would be about 40-50 minutes, depending on traffic. The drive from Columbia to the above stations would be anywhere between 15-20 minutes give or take, again dependent on traffic.

Another alternative but probably not as time efficient or practical would be to drive to the Silver Spring Metro station via Rt 29 and take the red line directly into union station. This will take a bit longer as this is a heavily traveled route Southbound, especially during rush hour. A daily fee is charged to park at stations that are part of the DC Metro System. There is also a MARC (Brunswick line) there that stops at Silver Spring and would be a straight shoot into DC sans the stops on the red line. There are also the Greenbelt and College Park stations (green lines), but they are also a bit out of the way.

However, given the fact that MARC does not operate on holidays, your best bet would be to drive to either the Greenbelt, College Park or Silver Spring Metro stations if he has to work on a holiday. At least he would not be out of a way into town and there are options.

Here is a link and hopefully others will provide additional feedback.

http://www.mtamaryland.com/index.cfm (broken link)

Hope this helped.

Last edited by Gil3; 03-03-2009 at 04:23 PM..

Old 03-08-2009, 04:06 PM

5 posts, read 34,866 times
I commute from Columbia to DC. The drive normally takes me a little over an hour from driveway to office with traffic. As for public transportation, the most convenient, I think, is the commuter bus that goes directly from Columbia to DC. The park and rides never fill up, and there are some stops in residential neighborhoods. Check out mtamaryland.com for all commuter options.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:12 PM

385 posts, read 1,232,964 times
There are also Commuter Bus lines (915/929/995) that connect Columbia to Downtown DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland