Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 05:55 PM

4 posts, read 10,457 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what the deal is with all of the trash on the sides of roads, highways, etc.? I moved here from another state not too long ago, and I have become absolutely disgusted whenever I drive anywhere with how much trash I see. And I am finding that it is not limited to "lower income" areas...it's everywhere!!!! Is this a result of budget cuts and not having the funding for cleanup crews, or do people in Maryland really just not care enough about their surroundings to pick up after themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 06:32 PM

45,046 posts, read 60,097,876 times
Littering and uncovered/unsecured loads. Which is a rarely enforced violation.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:35 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,346,988 times
I can't belive it either. Off the ramp to 29 from Exit 15 in Laurel there are tons of Chik Filet bags and wrappers. THis is not an unsecured load. How can you go to a fast food restaurant and then just throw the wrappers out the window?
Sometimes I wish I had a flamethrower... grrrr

Old 03-18-2009, 07:18 PM

884 posts, read 2,636,473 times
I noticed that too when I moved here from Ohio. I never realized how clean my city was until I came here. Geez. Get those damn prisioners out there to clean up. Fine people that litter and stop raising everyones taxes.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:40 PM

That's funny...I moved here from Michigan...maybe we are just cleaner in the Midwest?

Old 03-18-2009, 08:29 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,000,390 times
Yep, I was noticing the median along Rt 29 in Columbia is getting pretty trashy, too.

BTW, they do have prison work units that routinely go out and clean the trash. but many people just don't care and drop their trash anywhere they want. sometimes they haul a trashbag that falls out and breaks - blowing trash all around, basically they just don't really seem to care.

One of the many things I won't miss about MD. it's litter.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:20 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,063,702 times
I can assure you one thing: If I was governor or mayor, there wouldn't be a single non-violent offender sitting in a jail cell watching TV. He/she would be out on the chain gang for 8 hours a day cleaning up litter. And I don't mean a once in a blue-moon public relations stunt. I'm talking about every day of every week.

On another note - I've always wondered what it is about a person that thinks its "OK" to roll down the window and throw out trash. To me, that's indicative of a larger problem within the person. If your level of respect is such that you simply don't care and that it's the normal thing to do, i'd be willing to bet you're no stranger to the police department. Having the mindset to litter is only tip of the iceburg of what that person is capable of doing, in my view.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:32 AM

331 posts, read 1,195,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I can assure you one thing: If I was governor or mayor, there wouldn't be a single non-violent offender sitting in a jail cell watching TV. He/she would be out on the chain gang for 8 hours a day cleaning up litter. And I don't mean a once in a blue-moon public relations stunt. I'm talking about every day of every week.

On another note - I've always wondered what it is about a person that thinks its "OK" to roll down the window and throw out trash. To me, that's indicative of a larger problem within the person. If your level of respect is such that you simply don't care and that it's the normal thing to do, i'd be willing to bet you're no stranger to the police department. Having the mindset to litter is only tip of the iceburg of what that person is capable of doing, in my view.
They don't have any class. I dated a guy once who thought nothing of throwing trash out of his car in front of my house! It turned me off.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:05 AM

I think the same people that cut the budgets of roadside cleanup crews are the same people that cut the budgets of the prison guards. Therefore, I do not think that there are enough guards to supervise all of those prisoners out there and instead they are able to just sit around in their cells all day. Sad, isn't it...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland