Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 02:59 PM

49 posts, read 214,935 times

Advertisements

We are having such a hard time deciding whether to buy in Harford or Cecil County. My husband's job is relocating to APG from Ft Monmouth NJ and we are looking to purchase in MD as soon as our house sells here in NJ.
We've looked a lot at Elkton and North East - both of which we like and are definitely in our price range (no more than $250k).
Now there are a few houses on the market in Harford County that fit our price range (one was recently lowered to $220 and looks pretty nice).
We have a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old and schools are very important. It seems like we would get a newer, possibly bigger house in Cecil - but if the schools are that much better in Harford, then I would settle for an older, smaller house.
I also want to make sure we'll have enough to do - since I am a SAHM - we love libraries, parks, Mommy & Me classes, etc.
I also would be going back to work full time after my youngest starts pre-school - I am a certified teacher and school counselor - so school systems are doubly important to me.
And last but not least - our faith is a HUGE part of our lives - so we need to find a good independent Baptist church - lol.
Any advice/thoughts would be greatly apprectied!!
~Janet
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 02:19 PM

38 posts, read 207,669 times
Housing will be generally cheaper in Cecil County. Harford is closer for all of us Baltimore commuters. Cecil is a quite a haul for the daily commute to Balt. To APG its not a big deal except if the State ups the toll on the Route 40 bridge(beware). Schools in Harford are almost all better. More ammenities in Harford (shopping,restaurants). Beware the I-95 tolls in delaware(Route 40 is the alt).

Old 04-02-2009, 07:55 AM

87 posts, read 332,164 times
Default Definitely Harford

I live in Harford County and had more than one friend make the mistake to think that living in Cecil County is cheaper. First, my friend has been regularly been coming "back" to Harford County to visit because according to her she can't really find anything to do there with her little kids and second, allthough her house was a little cheaper she makes up for the difference in other costs so she is saving nothing. You also want to consider that Harford County Schools are excellent. The reason we moved here was the schools! Cecil County will also cost you in tolls, there are no tolls hi HA County. If you live in Cecil County and it is pretty in a lot of places but also has a lot of run down places, you will always find yourself in Harford County for shopping and the library system is wonderful here. You will also find churches in the area. I say Harford County no question.
Also if your hubby is at APG consider Belcamp/Riverside. Full of kids, playgrounds and families, excellent elementary school and a 5 minute commute to APG. I know quite a few people that live there and work at APG. I would not live in Aberdeen itself though.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 6,437 times
Default Elkton

Homes are cheaper in Cecil COunty. The schools are good too. Some are outstanding. For elementary , I woudl suggest Thompson Estates Elementary. There is a super Walmart in ELktion. What is even better is that you are only 1 mile form Delaware and there is NO SALES TAX. You will save tons of money by driving only 2 or 3 miles to shop!. As far as tolls, that is absolutly no problem. NOt many know it but you can buy a decal on the Hatem Bridge on Rt 40 for only $10 for an entire year!!!!!!!
Taxes I belive are lower in Cecil County as well. Houses are cheaper. I am actually thinking of selling my house ( very reasonable if it doesn not have to be listed)_and buying a one story. I have a split leel, pretty good size just a few blocks from Thompson Estates Elementary. As far as churches, my parents attend an independent Babtist Church. It is an old fashioned type church in Elkton called Maranatha Babtist. They have a school as well. There is also Bible Baptist, who just changed their name to Crossroads. They have a private Christioan shcool as well. If you have any questions let me know.

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-14-2009 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: please use DM for personal matters

Old 05-21-2009, 05:37 AM

2 posts, read 10,295 times
Default Buy in Harford not Cecil county

I would urge you to buy your home in Harford County. Commuting from Cecil County is tiring, costly and frustrating. I95 is always backed up and the local Route 40 bridge, Hatem bridge, is undergoing a multi-year reconstruction that either closes the bridge entirely or puts it down to alternating one lane of traffic.
But the bigger reason is schools, amenities, and culture. Only about 16 percent of Cecil County residents have college degrees according to the last census and the state estimates it may have risen to 19 percent in the past few years due to newcomers from out of state. If you have a college degree you will be a rarity in Cecil County. The schools are better than they were a few years ago but still nowhere near the level of Harford schools. The high school grads who go to college at all mostly go to the local 2 year community college. If you have higher aspirations for your kids, and for your own career as a future teacher, you will have a much more rewarding experience in Harford County.
I don't have kids so the schools in Cecil county are not personally a big issue for me. But I live in a rural area of the county and you have to go to Delaware for a supermarket and medical care. The medical care in Cecil County is horrible and you will find yourself driving to Delaware or Harford County to get decent care.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:23 PM

15 posts, read 53,342 times
You have to go to DE to go to a supermarket?? I can think of 5 right off the top of my head within 10 miles or so of North East!!

Old 05-22-2009, 06:26 AM

30 posts, read 183,248 times
Cecil Vs. Harford

No comparison. Cecil has some wonderful areas including the area around Turkey Point. However, when you drove through Elkton and NE, did you take a good look at the obvious problems? Lots of decaying public housing and private homes, as well as a high population of substance abuse addicts. You can not help but notice the addicts walking around during the day in downtown Elkton, and that horrible I40 area from the Delaware line about 5 miles into Maryland. NE is better to live in than Elkton, but there are bad areas as well. Harford County has some issues too, but not on the same scale.

Harford County has better schools, libraries, the commute to APG will be easier (no tolls) and the Parks/Recreation Services that you will eventually use are superior to those in Cecil. We have friends that moved to Cecil b/c the new home price was cheaper. Their kids are now in elementary school and they regret that decision. Remember that even if you spend more in Harford, you can deduct mortgage interest! Private schools are expensive, so spend a bit more $ and buy into the better neighborhood that is served by top schools.

Given your stated price range and that fact that your kids are young, you could probably get away with a townhome or a smaller home in the Bel Camp/Riverside, Forest Hill, Joppatowne, Bel Air or Havre de Grace area. Think twice before you make your decision. Drive around and ask yourself would you feel safe jogging near where you are thinking of moving to? Then knock on the doors of your potential neighbors before submitting a contract and ask some basic "get to know you" and "tell me about the area" type of questions. Best of luck!

Old 05-25-2009, 04:44 AM

134 posts, read 331,050 times
Harford County.
Check out Havre de Grace. Beautiful town on the water, lots to do, good housing, good schools, 4 mi from APG.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:13 PM

10 posts, read 36,748 times
A similar comparison would be Monmouth and Ocean Counties (before the boom). We happen to chose Cecil, but I'm sure either county will be very welcoming. Moving from Monmouth County to anywhere in the COUNTRY is tough, so good luck to you!

Old 05-27-2009, 12:27 PM

10 posts, read 36,748 times
I quess the bottom line is---in today's economy be thankful you are in a position to be purchasing a home in either county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland