Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 08:21 AM

3 posts, read 10,774 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to Maryland and we are hoping to live in a small town (less than 100,000 people) with a traditional town center (sidewalks, stores/restaurants). We'd also prefer to live somewhere close to a MARC station. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 09:41 AM

8 posts, read 30,721 times
Silver Spring and Rockville both have what you're looking for, I think, but do you have any price ranges or anything?

Old 04-03-2009, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 10,774 times
Default Looking for a small town with a town center

To add a bit more information to my original post: we would like to rent a 3-bed apartment/townhouse/house for around $1750. We have one child who will be attending preschool. Green spaces (parks, golf courses) are important. We travel internationally regularly so access to an international airport is also important.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:55 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goterps123 View Post
Silver Spring and Rockville both have what you're looking for, I think, but do you have any price ranges or anything?
Silver Spring is not a small town and I don't really think Rockville would qualify either...

Old 04-03-2009, 12:20 PM

260 posts, read 842,489 times
You might want to look at Catonsville, Oella, and Ellicott City. If you want to find something in your price range, Catonsville will probably be your best bet.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:22 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times
Try Frederick. Population of about 60K and a very nice & traditional downtown area. Baker Park has lots of open space and is walkable from downtown. It's also a park that is used extensively by residents, with lots of events & activities. There's a MARC station [with limited service]. Frederick is about equidistant to BWI and IAD, although BWI is the preferable arpt and less than an hour's drive.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:30 PM

67 posts, read 236,120 times
Ditto to Frederick. Has what you appear to be looking for and is fairly safe, very friendly and eminently walk- or cycle-able.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:52 PM

460 posts, read 1,876,476 times
Frederick is great and loved it when living there.
Now live in Laurel. There is not a town center, but a main street and it is in various stages of revitalization, combatting the current economy.

I can walk to the MARC. . . and love the sounds of the horns (where, they do minimal horn blasting - unlike Frederick where they pull that horn so long that I could hear it plain as day. . . and I lived 5 miles from the actual station in the downtown area!)

Old 04-03-2009, 08:08 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,263 times
I don't know if <100,000 qualifiies as a "small town" ;-), but Germantown, Rockville, and Gaithersburg in Montgomery County all have populations around 50,000, town centers, and MARC stations (Gaithersburg has 3). However, all three towns have different characters.

Gaithersburg, has a lot of history and is much older than it's neighbouring sister, Germantown. The town center in Gaithersburg, where the historic MARC (originally B&O) station is located, is very nice, with a lot of antique shops and brick sidewalks. Unlike Germantown, Gaithersburg is much more diverse income-wise, and you'll find some really exclusive high end areas with very low crime such as Quince Orchard, and some relatively low-income that may have some gang activity. Gaithersburg, and much less affluent Langley Park, are well-known for being hubs for illegal immigrants in the state.

Germantown, where I reside, is almost exactly the same size as G'burg, but has much less character, since it's a very young planned community and isn't incorporated like G'burg or R'ville. There is a brand new Town Center in Germantown, with numerous shops (five guys, cold stone creamery etc.), a Safeway, and Black Rock Center for the Arts, and other retail right behind this very large Mercedes-Benz dealer. There are a large number some condos/apartments and townhomes adjacent, and a busy Transit Center as well. The busy MARC station (also ex-B&O) is about 2-3min away on MD118 depending on the lights. I use a combination of MARC/Metro to commute to College Park daily. As others have mentioned I wouldn't live adjacent to the station though. CSX trains share the tracks with MARC and operate 24/7, sounding their horn when they approach the station. They may have nightime restrictions though.

Rockville has more of a "city" feel and has a true downtown, unlike the two G's. It is more expensive than Gaithersburg and Germantown however (which are already extremely expensive themselves), but the downtown area has a lot of nice shops and restaurants, is very easily accessibly from the Metro/MARC station, and a very large (and expensive) condo development just opened there called "Rockville Town Square." Rockville also has two of the top public high schools in the country (Northwest HS in Germantown is another).

Old 04-03-2009, 08:52 PM

924 posts, read 2,603,224 times
Cterp can you tell me where you are getting the data that Northwest High is one of the top schools in the country? Not that I doubt you just curious where you are getting the info...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland