Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 06:57 AM

234 posts, read 1,269,763 times

Advertisements

Morning all

We are looking to come down to Maryland for a long weekend trip in the near future for a little sightseeing and for a famous Blue Crab bushel feast.

Is May and June a good time to come down? Are the crabs in season? The reason I ask is that from where I am from you can get Lobster all year round, but certain times it is soft shell and they are not quite as good IMHO. From what I gather - some restaurants serve NC or LA,TX crabs. Are there any that serve Native MD crabs?

My wife saw on one of her cooking shows where they take a bushel of crabs and spread it on your newspaper covered table, and you commence the eating - and she really wants to try that. Me --- I would like some REAL crab cakes.

We will be flying into Baltimore and renting a car - so...... Any restaurant suggestion that serve crabs bushel and newspaper style and any sightseeing suggestions?

I am going to do some searches on old threads too.

Thanks
Leggo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 07:22 AM

21 posts, read 87,673 times
Patuxent River crabs and Wye River crabs are the best, in my opinion...If you venture into St. Mary's County in Southern MD, try SeaBreaze Restaurant off of Sandgates Rd, in Mechanicsville for crabs - you won't get the newspaper covered table, rather a brown paper covered table...they have been consistently good. May/June is still a little early - not that it has ever stopped me from eating them! But the best crabs come late in the season (October)...

Old 04-15-2009, 07:24 AM

Oops, forgot Sightseeing and crabs... try Saint Michaels on the Eastern Shore of Maryland... quaint town, great food, Wye River crabs...

Old 04-15-2009, 07:53 AM

44 posts, read 242,761 times
What part of Maryland are you visiting? We can narrow it down from there. As far as getting MD crabs that is highly unlikely. Not being a regular crab eater you won't be able to tell the difference in taste from a MD crab versus TX,NC or LA. Us native Merliner's can though

Old 04-15-2009, 08:42 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,182 times
There are all kinds of true crab houses all over MD, especially the Eastern Shore where they will just cover your table in paper and spread the crabs out with fried chicken,corn on the cob,etc...
I would say that in the Summer, you are more likely to find local MD crabs, especially in the St.Michael's / Tilghman Island area on the Eastern Shore.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:47 PM

Also, I think it was G&M Restaurant in Baltimore (or just outside of Baltimore) where I had exceptionally good crab cakes - they were a little different than traditional crab cakes in that they were puffy and very light...and if you really like the crab cakes, I believe that they will ship them to you via mail order, too!

Old 04-16-2009, 04:35 AM

234 posts, read 1,269,763 times
Thanks for the replies

We think we want to do a short road trip around the Chesapeake Bay area, and see the sights there.

I wrote down these restaurants, and have my trusty Frommers guide book --- now I got to book my tickets!

Thanks a bunch
Leggo

Old 04-16-2009, 05:51 AM

45,324 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Cantler's in Annapolis is good for crabs. You may want to re-think a bushel if there are only two of you. That would be around 60 or 70 crabs depending on their size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland