U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 08:31 PM

5 posts, read 1,157 times
Default Lanham, MD and Laurel, MD

Hi! I'm from the Florida forums but I have a question that I would like answered. Before my parents moved to Florida (Orlando) 20 some years ago, Lanham, MD and Laurel, MD is where they live. Well, there tried of Florida (Bradenton) and want to move back there. I worried about them going back up there because I have heard some unpleasant things about Prince Georges County. Can you Maryland people give me some inside into what's going on in these 2 cities. Is it safe for human life or is it going down hill.

Thank You,
FloridaNative09
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 07:45 AM

84 posts, read 295,736 times
I live in Chicago now but grew up and still have parents in Lanham. The area still has the feel of a bedroom community from the last generation - small ranch and split-level houses, mature trees, and neighborhood parks. It has gotten more rough around the edges. There aren't as many small kids, and unfortunately there are waves of house and car break-ins. I don't think anyone really feels unsafe going about life on a day-to-day basis. It's worth noting that a few miles East of Lanham there has been a lot of newer, more upscale housing going up, so all of the area can't be all bad.

Laurel is much bigger than Lanham, and I think is seeing a bigger new wave of development due to its location near I95 and the Montgomery County line.

I'm not sure there would be much to attract new residents to either area, but if your parents have fond memories of that part of MD, they can probably find some relatively safe spots to buy in.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:18 PM

15 posts, read 89,207 times
Lanham has a rep, according to my realtor, of the houses not selling very well. And it can seem seedy in places, like the other poster mentioned. It's not horrible though. Laurel also has spots which aren't great -- it depends on where you're going.

I think the best place to live in PG County is Bowie. It's on the border of Anne Arundel County so doesn't have the same "feel" as the rest of PG Cty. It's a safe bedroom community with lots of stores and it's own new police department. The houses are also pretty nice and more affordable than other spots in Maryland.

spleen

Old 04-11-2007, 08:08 AM

12 posts, read 46,274 times
There is another area within PG County that is a nice are too. I would look into the area of University Park. You really get an old time feel neighborhood with many young families starting to come in.

In my opinion, this little pocket right next to the University of Maryland (college Park) is one of the best neighborhoods for raising kids in and living.

If you want more information about this area, please let me know. I can help you since im a Realtor, and thats what I do

Rob

Old 05-01-2007, 02:17 PM

176 posts, read 17,402 times
Please , there are nice parts of Laurel in PG that are also nice. There`s the GLens of wellington by Laurel hospital. It`s a nice place. I`ve been here about 7 years in this country and gettign ready to build actually it is being built as we speak in that communtiy so stop hating. Could it be that all the people talking bad about Laurel couldn`t afford a house in that community? so then stop hating. In the next three to five years, mark my words, WATCH AND SEE what will happen to good ole Laurel. HAHA. If anything the schools are not that great but that`s it. no big hight crime area to me. Laurel isn`t really in the news at all. So check yuhself and come again.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:09 PM

6 posts, read 65,415 times
i've been in the area my whole life and i feel perfectly safe, there isnt much violent crime, mostly theft and stuff like donkey was saying

Old 05-07-2007, 01:46 PM

386 posts, read 1,174,470 times
These are both Ok areas in my opinion.Have you thought about Upper Marlboro?

Old 05-08-2007, 03:08 PM

3 posts, read 13,437 times
Maryland City is a very nice, very affordable, part of the city over the Anne Arundel county line, as Russet Green is. Parts of Laurel are extremely nice.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:28 PM

1,389 posts, read 4,372,738 times
I agree with Roadtripgurl try upper Marlboro,Bowie,Clinton,Fort Washington,Brandywine are areas your paents might like. In these areas have lots and lots of development going on right now. I think your parent swould love any of these areas.

I am not that fond of Laurel. My brother lives in Russet community of Laurel its nice but nothing is their. They are developing Laurel but not as much as the other areas listed.

I cannot believe i just agreed with roadtripgurl

Old 05-11-2007, 07:36 PM

176 posts, read 17,402 times
Check out this website. www.konterra.com and you see the plans they have for Laurel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland