U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-20-2007, 07:40 PM

6,351 posts, read 13,026,577 times
Best of luck in Austin, Adios! I spent several years in TX courtesy of Uncle Sam and really love it. Never lived in Austin but have visited and really like it (except I-35 at rush hour. At least you'll find ONE thing just like MD; I-35 traffic!)
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 04:09 AM

71 posts, read 328,428 times
We are really excited about everything except the traffic. I actually hear it's worse than here

Old 04-21-2007, 07:39 AM

6,351 posts, read 13,026,577 times
Back several months ago, "CBS Sunday Morning" did a segment on the "Keep Austin Weird" movement. Really enjoyed it!

Old 06-28-2007, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 7,970 times
Default SP schools in Millersville

Sorry for the dedalyed response, but the communities of Shipley's Choice and Brittingham are in Millersville, and attend SP schools. Kinder Park is also in Millersville. Also, Pointfield West & Pointfield Landidng I believe are also in Millersville but they do attend SP schools.

Homes here sky-rocketed during the housing boom, but have stables out since. For $500,000 you can get a home that is decent, but you will pay more for communities that tend to be more desireable. You can pay $600,000 and get a fixer-upper in Chartwell. For $400,000 the house maybe only a 2 bedroom in a less than desireable neighborhood.

I grew up in SP and returned to raise my kids here. Every penny is worth it due to the family community here. The kids are together from 6th grade until they go to college with only one middle school and one high school. There is one street with duplexes and one apartment building I think mostly seniors live in. Therefore, there isn't a lot of multi-family housing. From the last stats I can remember, something like 95% have a two parent household. The town of Severna Park is great and I would not raise my kids anywhere else, not Broadneck (Cape St Claire), not Pasadena, or Annapolis. It's just the tighness of the community that makes it different.

I think Burtonsville is going to be a 40 minute ride door-to-door. You may have to get on 95 south and that may include traffic.

Hope this helped and wasn't too late.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 7,624 times
Hello, Adios! (that was fast, huh?! : P)
I live in Severna Park for about 8 years now...transplanted from Chicago, and chose it because the area is beautiful and the schools have a great reputation. My son is now 10 and has established a nice circle of friends...
The area in Millersville I think you are speaking of is also quite nice...Hope this helps and you can email for more info if you want to!

Good Luck!
Holly

Old 07-02-2007, 01:27 PM

7 posts, read 28,937 times
Default Moving to Maryland

Hi can anyone tell me about Howard County Schools? Good vs bad schools?
What are the elementary schools in Coloumbia like?

Old 07-07-2007, 09:27 PM

586 posts, read 945,659 times
Default Careful about redistricting

Hi,

About Shipley's Choice in Millersville being part of the Severna Park feeder system -- that is true right now but there is a big redistricting fight/discussion going on that would put Shipley's in the Old Mill H.S. feeder system instead. Buyer beware in Millersville right now if you are buying largely/solely for the Severna Park schools. As a gross generalization, if you want to be 100% certain about being in Severna Park schools, you want to live east of Jumpers Hole Road.

Yes, Burtonsville is about 40 minutes, and although most people do get on 95S to get from here to there, it's only about 2 exists and traffic doesn't get vile until just past the exit for Burtonsville. You can also take the back roads and avoid 95 altogether, which would be my vote.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:18 PM

770 posts, read 2,595,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPmom View Post
Sorry for the dedalyed response, but the communities of Shipley's Choice and Brittingham are in Millersville, and attend SP schools. Kinder Park is also in Millersville. Also, Pointfield West & Pointfield Landidng I believe are also in Millersville but they do attend SP schools.

Homes here sky-rocketed during the housing boom, but have stables out since. For $500,000 you can get a home that is decent, but you will pay more for communities that tend to be more desireable. You can pay $600,000 and get a fixer-upper in Chartwell. For $400,000 the house maybe only a 2 bedroom in a less than desireable neighborhood.

I grew up in SP and returned to raise my kids here. Every penny is worth it due to the family community here. The kids are together from 6th grade until they go to college with only one middle school and one high school. There is one street with duplexes and one apartment building I think mostly seniors live in. Therefore, there isn't a lot of multi-family housing. From the last stats I can remember, something like 95% have a two parent household. The town of Severna Park is great and I would not raise my kids anywhere else, not Broadneck (Cape St Claire), not Pasadena, or Annapolis. It's just the tighness of the community that makes it different.

I think Burtonsville is going to be a 40 minute ride door-to-door. You may have to get on 95 south and that may include traffic.

Hope this helped and wasn't too late.
I live in the townhomes/duplexes in Severna Park, and there are DEFINITELY NOT senior citizens living in them. It is mainly two parent households who are either police officers, teachers, work in offices and got stuck here by accident on their way to getting a single family home. I attend playgroups weekly with other SP moms, and I find it amusing that they purchased their single family home for 20K more then my townhome/duplex, yet we get looked down at.There are actually a good deal of duplex/townhomes here, there are some off of BA blvd near the community center, there are some over near the Rite Aide, there are some duplexes that are down on the water. I am sure there are more then that I would just have to look more or want to take more notice, which I dont really care either way

Severna park is a nice place to live, if you have the money to live here and can deal with the wealth of the town. I go back and forth about leaving. I do not know if it is worth spending 450K for a house that is falling apart and is older then my townhome/duplex. Arnold is a wonderful area too, family oriented and it doesn't seem so uppity. Good schools and very down to earth atmosphere. We may actually head that way. For the average person it seems like cost of living is sky rocketing but the salaries are not reflecting it for the most part. Especially for the police officers, teachers and firefighters. Which is so sad@

Old 07-10-2007, 01:41 PM

9 posts, read 58,389 times
Its not like Old Mill is awful compared to Severna Park. Its a bit more overpopulated and some of the sports (like field hockey and laccrosse) are much better, but otherwise, Old Mill isn't so bad. I graduated there in 2000, one of my sisters in 2004 and my youngest sister will graduate in 2009, and we are all well adjusted and intelligent.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 7,970 times
There's an apt building across McKinsey road from Kohl's with seniors living there, I believe. The duplexes are great, and have as much space as a single family home. I recently looked at one on Ticonderoga that was listed over $500,000. All in all I think Severna Park is an excellent place to raise kids, no matter what house you live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland