Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2007, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 23,630 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Harford County and am considering purchasing a new home in Cecil County, MD (north east).

I have heard alot of bad things about terrible racial tension in Cecil county. We visited the community and were pleased to see a good racial mix. I spoke to a resident of the community who stated that he has not had any problems. But every person that I speak with always has the same impression of Cecil county. I know that there is racism that exists everywhere, but I do not want to make a move to a county where racism is blatent or prevalant.

I am African American and we have a very small daughter. Although we dont plan on sending her to a school in the area, we just dont want to move to this county if the racism is as troubling as we've heard.

Help!!!

Last edited by dprynces1; 04-15-2007 at 01:43 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 02:47 AM

1 posts, read 6,806 times
Cool Cecil County

When I moved to the area I had no idea such racism existed in the NE US. I was warned by people who attended a black university nearby. Between 1990-2000 the black popuation declined a bit, but I believe a big change is on the way for the area!...At least I HOPE! If your like in a town like Elkton I don't think it's as bad as the burbs of Cecil County (like near 'rising sun,md'). But I say come on out...the more the merrier!..shake it up!

Old 08-08-2010, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 5,483 times
I am also African American and my husband is Indian/Caucasian. We are considering moving to North East, MD for BRAC, and we have heard rumors about racism in Cecil County. I was wondering about whether you decided to move to North East and your opinion of the town. Because we have a small child, we wanted to find a friendly neighborhood where our little one can make friends. We have heard good things about one of the private schools in North East, but we just want to learn more about the people/neighborhoods in North East. Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:57 AM

49 posts, read 147,951 times
I think that you can look at the Southern Poverty Law Center's website. they track hate groups and you will see they have NONE listed for Cecil County. Almost 20 years ago the Grand Wizard of the Klan lived in Rising Sun, but that has not been the case for over a decade now. We have lived in CC, Elkton for 11 years. We looked at NorthEast but decided we liked the toan amenities of Elkton better. We do not have children but have senior parents to consider and Cecil County government has been an awesome support. In the 11 years of living in the County we have not had any racial problems or seen any in the local paper - the Cecil Whig.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:02 PM

6 posts, read 14,733 times
dprynces1, did you finally move to cecil county? what do you think of it?

dh & i are an interracial couple. we were househunting in harford and cecil counties for a week in july. we had lunch one day in a restaurant near the susquehanna river (i don't remember which town). when i stepped out to make a call (sprint signal sucks in the area), the 2 guys who were sitting in the bar behind us were just leaving in their truck. as they were pulling out of the lot w/ windows down, the driver was looking at me when he hollered something derogatory about me being mexican. first of all, i'm not even mexican. i'm filipino. secondly, that was my first racial attack (ever!) having lived outside of NYC most of my life. we also have a very young daughter who looks more asian than white so i have the same concerns as you. we haven't decided on a house yet, but my husband is leaning towards bigger properties for the money in western cecil county. i personally liked the elkton/north east area. your more recent opinion would be greatly appreciated. private message me if you're more comfortable that way. thank you!

Old 08-02-2011, 12:48 PM

13 posts, read 31,348 times
Default Your Experience

There are apparently still a few intolerant people left in Cecil County and I am sorry that you had that encounter. The great majority of people that I encounter in Cecil are very friendly and would be respectful of you no matter your background. Good luck in your search... Fair Hill and Elk Neck are both beautiful areas of Cecil.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:45 AM

242 posts, read 531,086 times
Many people here have lived here all of their lives and are a bit sheltered when it comes to other races.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,972 times
Wow! just read post referring to a "good racial mix" in Cecil County. Never heard of such a thing referred to as "good". Maybe you should visit Booth Street or Hollingsworth Manor in Elkton on a Friday night after dark. Take your wife and children for a walk through the area and let me know how it goes.

Chester J. Doles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland