Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 05:52 PM

45,312 posts, read 60,489,441 times

Advertisements

The MD prison system has learned not to house Baltimore and DC suburb inmates together, the state universities follow the same policy as do the various juvenile detention centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 05:55 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
DC by far is the city with the greatest sphere of influence in Virginia. I don't know what your beef with the areas "way south" of you are, but they are just as much a part of the metro as the Maryland side. Would you complain about York County, "way North" in Pennsylvania that has strong ties to the Baltimore area?

Anyway. I've never seen much of the tension between the two metros. Yea, they're a bit standoffish to each other, but that's all I've really seen. If anything, I think it may just be the "spirit" of rivalry. But if animosity seriously exists between the two, I think that's silly. These two cities should be competing together as a big metro, like Dallas/Fort Worth, or San Jose/San Francisco/Oakland. The possibilities are literally endless.
I don't have a 'beef' with anybody. The pont is that MD counties much closer to DC than some than some in VA get much less DC media attention. Baltimore and DC to me seem more divided than the Dallas/Fort Worth and definitely more so than the San Fran Bay Area.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:06 PM

542 posts, read 1,498,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
I don't have a 'beef' with anybody.
I beg to differ. Most of your posts about Virginia tend to distance and ostracize it from the metro, like your last one. Considering that it's a part of your own metro, I don't understand why you or others like you would think something like that -- which is an issue that exists within the DC area.

Quote:
The pont is that MD counties much closer to DC than some than some in VA get much less DC media attention.
That's because Maryland counties closer to DC have ties to the Baltimore area, as well. Howard County, for example, has coverage from both Baltimore & DC. A place like Stafford County would naturally get coverage from DC because it's part of the metro.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:58 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,088 times
Quote:
I beg to differ. Most of your posts about Virginia tend to distance and ostracize it from the metro, like your last one. Considering that it's a part of your own metro, I don't understand why you or others like you would think something like that -- which is an issue that exists within the DC area.

That's because Maryland counties closer to DC have ties to the Baltimore area, as well. Howard County, for example, has coverage from both Baltimore & DC. A place like Stafford County would naturally get coverage from DC because it's part of the metro.
I'm not ostracizing anything. The DC Metro area covers both sides of the Potomac and the VA counties have nothing to do with my post, except for my point as to the extent of DC media coverage. The problem is that Maryland counties near Baltimore in the Balt-Wash area are totally alienated from Washington D.C. and vise versa. In other words there is no overlap. Howard County is a perfect example, in that DC and B'more commuters live there, but it's almost exclusively covered by Baltimore media.

P.S. If I'm not mistaken you're the same person who stubbornly (and persistently) attacked my posts on another thread. I'd appreciate it if you would stop following me around. Thanks.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:47 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,524 times
Aside from this silly tift, this is a group of great responses! Thanks, very informative.

It is true that Montco and PG are essentially extentions of DC in many ways, I am unfamilar with the character of Baltimore and it's vicinity. Well I understand B'more kinda but only in the generic, minority heavy, "big city in big trouble" type, nothing more substantial.

Would it be right to say that B'more and it's vicinity are more blue collar focused? What adjectives would you use to describe the area as different from the affluent, young pro (yuppie is a little derog maybe), "suit" mentality of DCish Maryland.

On the sports note, aside from the Bullets moving, those were some interesting tidbits that I previously didn't know. I really don't think there is any real strong inter-area rivalry in any sport yet.

I have a feeling that the Nats are still trying to woo people who divide time to or are primarily loyal to B'more. I'm not sure how the college atheltic fanbase plays out, but I am in NoVa and look at both the Cavs and Terps football (in terms of basketball, area coverage is DOMINATED by the Terps!!)

Old 07-22-2009, 07:48 AM

542 posts, read 1,498,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Would it be right to say that B'more and it's vicinity are more blue collar focused? What adjectives would you use to describe the area as different from the affluent, young pro (yuppie is a little derog maybe), "suit" mentality of DCish Maryland.
I think that's the thing. It has changed, but Baltimore still has that blue collar image.

Quote:
P.S. If I'm not mistaken you're the same person who stubbornly (and persistently) attacked my posts on another thread. I'd appreciate it if you would stop following me around. Thanks.
If I'm not mistaken, you're the one who stubbornly and persistently posts biased, misguided, foolish information. Maybe if you weren't so stubbornly and persistently as such, I wouldn't have to stubbornly and persistently "follow you around". I'd appreciate it if you came with better insight next time. Thank you.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:22 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,044 times
Quote:
DC by far is the city with the greatest sphere of influence in Virginia. I don't know what your beef with the areas "way south" of you are, but they are just as much a part of the metro as the Maryland side. Would you complain about York County, "way North" in Pennsylvania that has strong ties to the Baltimore area?

Anyway. I've never seen much of the tension between the two metros. Yea, they're a bit standoffish to each other, but that's all I've really seen. If anything, I think it may just be the "spirit" of rivalry. But if animosity seriously exists between the two, I think that's silly. These two cities should be competing together as a big metro, like Dallas/Fort Worth, or San Jose/San Francisco/Oakland. The possibilities are literally endless.
Excellent and accurate analysis..

Old 07-22-2009, 09:07 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The MD prison system has learned not to house Baltimore and DC suburb inmates together, the state universities follow the same policy as do the various juvenile detention centers.
I'm going to Maryland right now and I never recalled being divided by which suburb I live in. Along with that, I really saw no tension between B-More area kids and DC area kids (now as for true rivalry, go to any Pennsylvania school and observe the reaction between Philly area and Pittsburgh area kids during any sports game or party where sports are invoked).

Old 07-22-2009, 10:08 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I'm going to Maryland right now and I never recalled being divided by which suburb I live in. Along with that, I really saw no tension between B-More area kids and DC area kids (now as for true rivalry, go to any Pennsylvania school and observe the reaction between Philly area and Pittsburgh area kids during any sports game or party where sports are invoked).
true but on that same note, Baltimore does not have any Division I schools that rival UMCP/Georgetown. The closest would be Towson, and their biggest rival would possibly be Mason or GW. Kind of the same with Ravens versus Redskins, two diffrent divisions yet only a half hour apart, and they very rarely play each other outside of preseason

Old 07-22-2009, 10:39 AM

6,996 posts, read 11,291,625 times
Maryland is not a two party state in politics so instead the division in state government is around geography. For many years the common interests of Baltimore city and the rural counties were aligned (both needed state money to attempt to fix problems) against that of the upscale Washington suburbs. I am not sure if that coalition is still in place or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland