Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 06:12 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,251,288 times

Advertisements

Was driving from where I live now in NC to visit family in NJ yesterday.

Took 301 to avoid the usual horrible traffic on 95/495 (although of course that's a VA problem too).

Somewhere around Upper Marlboro, an accident caused traffic to come to a crawl. Ended up taking about 3 hours to go maybe 2 miles.

My reward for finally making it to where the accident was? Being forced to make a u-turn and drive opposite of the direction I was trying to go. On top of that, nearly every possible side road to get around it was closed for construction (I and others tried several both before and after making the u-turn). Ended up having to drive about 7 miles south in more traffic before I finally found a road that actually went north.

It must have been a serious accident (haven't seen the details) so my prayers go out to those involved. But that's not an excuse for having a major thoroughfare apparently closed for hours during rush hour with no warning or legitimate alternate route. Didn't hear anything about it on the several radio stations I tried, and there was no sign warning that the road was closed ahead...I'm pretty sure I did pass one of those electronic signs -- it read "Keep Work Zones safe." Heck a police officer directing traffic prior to that point would've been nice. It's not like they were all busy tending to the accident; I sat in the traffic for at least an hour before I saw any emergency vehicles driving up the shoulder.

Speaking of work zones and probably subject for another thread, but I'm pretty sure every construction project on 95 in the Baltimore area that was going on when I left 3 years ago is still going on . But hey, at least the toll prices only doubled!

Sorry Marylanders, I really hate your state. /rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 03:56 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,997,863 times
I'm not a native Marylander -- and I'm getting out as soon as I retire -- so I have not uber-love for the state -- AND I get what you're saying.

But, to be fair -- that COULD have happened anywhere a bad accident might happen.
In some states -- like MT, or CO -- or some parts of lots of states the closest -- go around -- could be DOZENS of miles away.

But I DO get the frustration!

I never thought about it much years ago. BUT it's almost to the point where -- with ANY kind of travel -- air, train or driving that you have to go a day a head of time just to make sure you're on time for something. You can't count on ANYthing with travel these days. Suppose you needed to catch a flight or cruise ship. Or job interview.

Part of 495 in DEL is closed now because a frigging contractor was dumping so much DIRT next to a bridge it shifted the terrain and bridge supports are leaning! Really? Dirt! dumping?

Old 06-06-2014, 04:55 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,972,848 times
Not sure if it's traffic or past issues that made you post that rant, but okay. Hope the drive home will be smoother. Enjoy your family visit.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:55 PM

274 posts, read 675,148 times
Yeah, MD sucks. On my post I was nearly screamed off by some people who got their panties in a wad over some little ol poor person's opinions. It just further infuriates me about some things about this state: overcrowded roads being one major source of my headaches. When I go home to PA, I'm much more relaxed and am not gripping the wheel out of stress. If I could go home, find a job, and have my husband find a job that pays well, we'd be out of here. I just got a good job with HoCo so we'll be sitting in traffic at least for another 5 years...then who knows. I feel your pain though!

Old 06-06-2014, 10:15 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,875,723 times
I can deal with the traffic jams but strongly dislike the pot holes and asphalt cold patches.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:59 AM

2,305 posts, read 6,065,838 times
This was Annapolis on May 29. An accident on the Severn River Bridge going eastbound and an accident on I-97 headed northbound. Count them. 9 lanes of standstill traffic. You can have that nonsense.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:02 AM

795 posts, read 1,262,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

Took 301 to avoid the usual horrible traffic on 95/495 (although of course that's a VA problem too).

Somewhere around Upper Marlboro, an accident caused traffic to come to a crawl. Ended up taking about 3 hours to go maybe 2 miles.

My reward for finally making it to where the accident was? Being forced to make a u-turn and drive opposite of the direction I was trying to go. On top of that, nearly every possible side road to get around it was closed for construction (I and others tried several both before and after making the u-turn). Ended up having to drive about 7 miles south in more traffic before I finally found a road that actually went north.

It must have been a serious accident (haven't seen the details) so my prayers go out to those involved. But that's not an excuse for having a major thoroughfare apparently closed for hours during rush hour with no warning or legitimate alternate route. Didn't hear anything about it on the several radio stations I tried, and there was no sign warning that the road was closed ahead...I'm pretty sure I did pass one of those electronic signs -- it read "Keep Work Zones safe." Heck a police officer directing traffic prior to that point would've been nice. It's not like they were all busy tending to the accident; I sat in the traffic for at least an hour before I saw any emergency vehicles driving up the shoulder.

Speaking of work zones and probably subject for another thread, but I'm pretty sure every construction project on 95 in the Baltimore area that was going on when I left 3 years ago is still going on . But hey, at least the toll prices only doubled!

You could always fly.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:06 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,251,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
You could always fly.
Believe me, I tell my wife that all the time. But she hates flying and we have a dog with us.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:42 AM

27,235 posts, read 28,308,556 times
Quote:

So, you hate an entire state because a serious automobile accident caused a traffic jam at a certain location?

Okay, I suppose that sounds logical.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:09 PM

795 posts, read 1,262,144 times
Quote:
Believe me, I tell my wife that all the time. But she hates flying and we have a dog with us.
On a serious note (since you seem so serious), you should do like I do... plan your travel time ahead. If you decide to travel through Maryland at rush hour, I'm not sure that is a Maryland issue.

Don't tell me, your wife tells you when to leave as well. Got it.

Just kidding...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland