U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:19 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,158,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
'I see lots of people get off the Red line at Union Station everyday, during afternoon rush hour, on their way to NYC.

It's probably best by plane, but some say it takes as much time as the train.
It's much faster by train. Amtrak's Acela Express takes two and a half hours downtown DC to downtown Manhattan, other Northeast Corridor trains do it in 3 hours.While, it woudn't be so bad to from National airport (DCA) to JFK/LGA, or even from BWI, it would make no sense to drive (and you have to drive since that's the only local airport without rail access) all the way to Dulles, stand in line for a ticket, stand in a long security line, and wait to board (hopefully it's perfect weather). Then when you get to New York you have to drive all the way to the city from Queens or Newark. In many cases the train actually costs more than flying, but still competes effectively (~50% market share DC-Balt-Philly-NYC-Boston) because of the convenience and comfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 08:44 AM

1,749 posts, read 4,228,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjennell View Post
Someone works with me that commutes from Perryville, MD to DC daily - about 3 hours one way
I suspect that's 3 hours per day, both coming and going, and not one way. I've used the MARC from Middle River to DC, and it's about an hour. Perryville only adds about another 30 minutes.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:14 PM

533 posts, read 934,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCtown View Post
Hi Maryland,

Does anyone commute from Maryland to NYC via transit trains on a daily basis? I want to move to MD but not having luck find a job. Want to stay at current position.
Due to some family issues I had to commute daily back and forth from Baltimore to NYC in Times Square for a month (I live in MD) on the Acela last year.

On the upside, I got elite status on Amtrak pretty quickly, which allowed me to upgrade myself to first class on about half the segments on the last 2 weeks. Free food and booze, and lots of space. I think I ended up getting one round trip free from the amtrak points I earned.

Also, if you have a wireless network card from ATT/Sprint/Verizon, you can be quite productive on the train, or you can do your shopping, or watch your media, or whatever. I think I watched about 40 or 50 movies that month on my laptop on the train.

But goddamn, I was drained by Friday. And by the time I got home each night I felt filthy from all the walking and being on the train. I did the math, and I'd wake up at 5 am to catch a 6:05 Acela which got me into Union Station at I believe 8:15ish and I'd be in the office on the 40th floor of my building by 8:40. I'd leave the office at 4:30 to walk back to Union Station and catch a 5pm train which got me back in the door at home at 7:45 or so. It cost bout 1.6k a week which was absolutely crazy, but work paid for it.

Someone told me there were commuter passes from Baltimore > NYC on the Regional or Acela available, I think at the time it was around 1.5k/month for the Regional.

It would take a salary greater than 500k to get me to do that on a daily basis, and like others said, at that point, you're better off subletting or splitting rent on a place in NYC and making MD your residence.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:57 PM

I was talking to someone today whose relative is an associate dean at NYU, and lives in NoVa but takes the train to New York and stays there Mon-Fri and takes the train back on the weekend.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:43 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 7,438,569 times
I live near Aberdeen (saw it mentioned earlier), about 5 minutes from the train station. The couple of times I have taken the train to NY, there have been commuters. That said, most folks who got on at Aberdeen or before were off by Philly. Once we hit DE, we started picking up the folks that stayed on to NY.

Nobody mentioned our Vice President who commuted from Wilmington to DC daily via Amtrak for many years.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
Nobody mentioned our Vice President who commuted from Wilmington to DC daily via Amtrak for many years.
Check my post on pg. 2

Old 08-07-2009, 09:14 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 7,438,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Check my post on pg. 2
Missed that I guess

Old 08-07-2009, 10:41 AM

533 posts, read 934,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
Missed that I guess
Biden's commute is the ultimate long distance commute. On the Acela it's 1 hour to Union Station from Wilimington, and it's a quick walk to the Capitol or a quick limo drive to his offices. I think I read someplace during the presidential campaign that it only takes him 15 minutes to get from his home to the Amtrak station in Wilmington.

It probably takes him as much time or less time to get from his home to the hill than it would if you live anywhere outside 495 around washington dc.

I'm sure his commuting costs were picked up by the us taxpayer or by his campaign, and he got to enjoy the tax free salary of a Delaware resident.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 11,815 times
buy or sell house? great real estate agent only takes 1.5% commission, rest are credit back to buyer/seller
301-204-3212

Old 08-09-2009, 09:52 AM

7 posts, read 98,268 times
Wow! Thanks all for your various inputs.......what a lively discussion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland