Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2009, 01:27 PM

134 posts, read 634,034 times

Advertisements

Dear Marylanders:

I need some information since I am not very familiar with Maryland. I am trying to figure out which town in Maryland is the center of everything for me. I am planning a move to Maryland soon.

I have distant family living in Middletown-Frederick Area. However, I do not want to live too far from Washington, D.C. I will be attending graduate school at McDaniel in Westminster, Maryland while working for Maryland School for the Deaf in Columbia. I don't mind commuting but I would like to live in a town/city that is in the center of these following cities: Washington, D.C., College Park, Frederick, Westminster, and Columbia.

I look at the map. Gaithersburg seems to be the center to me plus my family said it is. Is that right or maybe you know other areas better than Gaithersburg? Any information you can share would be helpful and deeply appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 03:35 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
I would choose Columbia, or thereabouts, in your situation. Gaithersburg to Frederick or DC is good, but to Westminster and Columbia it's not. Highways to all the places you mention are easily accessible from Columbia. You will work in Columbia. There's nothing in Gaithersburg for you, so it's wasted mileage. Just my opinion. There are lots of good places to live in in the vicinity of Columbia, like, Laurel, Savage, Jessup, Ellicot City, Catonsville, etc...

Old 08-15-2009, 06:53 PM

134 posts, read 634,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I would choose Columbia, or thereabouts, in your situation. Gaithersburg to Frederick or DC is good, but to Westminster and Columbia it's not. Highways to all the places you mention are easily accessible from Columbia. You will work in Columbia. There's nothing in Gaithersburg for you, so it's wasted mileage. Just my opinion. There are lots of good places to live in in the vicinity of Columbia, like, Laurel, Savage, Jessup, Ellicot City, Catonsville, etc...
Thanks for sharing with me about commuting to these cities. I have been looking into Columbia, Ellicott City, and Westminster. It's good to know that Columbia/Ellicott City are both ranked on Forbes' List of Best Places to Live. I just don't want to live too close to D.C. or especially Baltimore but these cities are great for shopping and extra big-city amenties though.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:18 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Geographically, Mt. Airy would be closest to the cities you mentioned. I would not suggest Gaithersburg as its proximity to DC would cause traffic headaches in your day to day travels. Some other towns with easy access to the places you mentioned would be Eldersburg, Sykesville, New Market, and western Howard County.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:10 PM

4 posts, read 10,572 times
Default Maryland

Here are some suggestions.....Sykesville, Eldersburg, Libertytown, maybe Finskburg...The first are the biggest little towns....smaller than Westminster, but great place to live!

Good luck. Geat College!!!!

Old 08-17-2009, 03:24 PM

415 posts, read 1,961,051 times
Mt. Airy has most of what you're looking for, except the College Park part...
Mt Airy to Westminster (McDaniel College) - 20 minutes, even with traffic.
Mt Airy to Columbia - 40-45 min (depends on what part of Columbia - I normally go Mt Airy to Hickory Ridge)
Mt Airy to Frederick - 15-20 min depending on what part of town
Mt Airy to College Park - ehh... depends. Probably 1 hour minimum, more if you're going during the morning rush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland