Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 12:38 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,710,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You start a thread that declares that the MD Republican Party is dead, talk about skeletons and condone illegality because "what was he hiding?" and now you're upset because the thread became "political"?
I should have looked at your profile earlier, Poli.Sci. 101 theory doesn't work as well in real life as it does in textbooks.
The arrangement you referenced is called Transferrable Development Rights. The theory behind them is that developers buy building rights from farmers, who then put their farms in permanent agricultural preservation. The developers then can increase density at their projects elsewhere in the affected County. Montgomery also requires a certain percentage of work force housing (read lower price than the rest of the development) while Calvert requires that the rights be used within one mile of a designated Town Center. Calvert actually was the first county to use these starting in the 1980s. Smart farmers had their land subdivided and recorded before the rights were required and so can sell the land to developers. That's why if you come to Calvert you see developments outside the Town Center boundaries.
I'm not condoning anything. To tell the truth I don't know anything about that, and am pretty sure it isn't as serious as you make it out to be. The purpose of this thread was to debate whether the MD GOP is dead or isn't. From what I see the GOP is hanging by a thread with little or no political clout in the statehouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Cpterp - The claim that a county whose population grew from 80,000 to nearly 1 million people in just 70 years is "extremely preservationist" is funny. That ship sailed long ago. O'Malley's (and formerly Glendening) smart growth plans are designed to facilitate continued growth and development around where it already exists (read: Montgomery County, et al.) while prohibiting, or at least discouraging growth, where it hasn't (read: nearly all of Western Maryland.) Such a plan makes sense in Montgomery County where preserving the remaining open land is important. In a place like Allegany County where 75% of the land is forest such draconian policy is ridiculous.

Believe me, I don't want to see Western Maryland become the next Montgomery County, but we can't afford to have Annapolis force us to stay in 1950 either. We need to have the freedom to figure out for ourselves how to preserve the mountains and small towns that define us while attracting the residents, jobs, and services that will improve our community.
Again, I don't live in Western Md. so I really don't know anything about that, and you're probably right and O'Malley isn't the right gov for you. I have a much better idea of the politics and economy of Central MD and the state on a whole, and from my POV O'Malley is the better than the Republican alternative (be Ehrlich or some other candidate).

Old 09-28-2009, 06:28 AM

553 posts, read 1,702,378 times
great debate guys!

I still think everyone is missing the bigger picture here, which is bigger than Rep v Dem politics at the state level.

America is in a very ugly, very complicated recession which could turn into a very ugly, protracted depression. There are plenty of headwinds and hurdles and not many green shoots, despite what the media says.

And in light of that, it's going to be taken out on the incumbents. At the city, state, and federal level we're going to see a backlash against the folks in office.

O'Malley's going to get it from all sides...I fail to see how he doesn't. He's going to have to cut services, raise taxes, and deal with an angry (angry about losing their house, about their job insecurity, about the rich being bailed out over and over, about inflation in the things we buy and deflation in the things we own) constituency. If Jesus Christ were running for re-election in Maryland this year and promised it would rain fish bread and wine he would still be unlikely to get re-elected.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickymost View Post
great debate guys!

I still think everyone is missing the bigger picture here, which is bigger than Rep v Dem politics at the state level.

America is in a very ugly, very complicated recession which could turn into a very ugly, protracted depression. There are plenty of headwinds and hurdles and not many green shoots, despite what the media says.

And in light of that, it's going to be taken out on the incumbents. At the city, state, and federal level we're going to see a backlash against the folks in office.

O'Malley's going to get it from all sides...I fail to see how he doesn't. He's going to have to cut services, raise taxes, and deal with an angry (angry about losing their house, about their job insecurity, about the rich being bailed out over and over, about inflation in the things we buy and deflation in the things we own) constituency. If Jesus Christ were running for re-election in Maryland this year and promised it would rain fish bread and wine he would still be unlikely to get re-elected.

You're absolutely right, Gov. Corzine is really taking an absolute beating in the polls in New Jersey from his GOP opponent Christie. In Virginia which many claim is now "purple" after years of being red, Republican contender McDonnellwas running away with the race (by the tune of 10 points) until his controversial essay brought Deeds within 2 according to recent polls.

It should be an easier battle for the GOP in MD in light of the economic condition, but the question I've been asking is if they're organized enough with so many in-house problems such as poor leadership, rapidly decreasing membership, and very, very low funds?

Old 09-28-2009, 09:35 AM

6,942 posts, read 11,198,655 times
Ehrlich would be the only GOP candidate with enough name recognition and resume to be a serious challenger. O'Malley has done a good political job of focusing his rhetoric and legislative priorities on issues like foreclosure relieve, pointing out how well Maryland is doing relative to other states and constantly refering back to fully funding education, environment, and fiscal accountability. I think that will be enough for him to survive. I just don't see enough registered Dems that will be willing to vote for a Republican. 2002 was a big fluke because of how unqualified KKT was for the job.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:56 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,933,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
You're absolutely right, Gov. Corzine is really taking an absolute beating in the polls in New Jersey from his GOP opponent Christie. In Virginia which many claim is now "purple" after years of being red, Republican contender McDonnellwas running away with the race (by the tune of 10 points) until his controversial essay brought Deeds within 2 according to recent polls.

It should be an easier battle for the GOP in MD in light of the economic condition, but the question I've been asking is if they're organized enough with so many in-house problems such as poor leadership, rapidly decreasing membership, and very, very low funds?
Poll: O'Malley Leads Ehrlich in a Rematch|ABC 7 News

ANNAPOLIS, Md. - A new poll has Democrat Gov. Martin O'Malley leading in a rematch with Republican Robert Ehrlich (web | news | bio) 49 percent to 38 percent, with 13 percent undecided.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:12 AM

553 posts, read 1,702,378 times
Quote:

A blind squirrel will still find the occasional nut.

I think the 2008 elections proved the sentiment can outweigh political or financial machinery given the right political environment. I think people have already forgotten Obama wasn't as serious a challenger until the economy nearly collapsed under a Republican administration to which McCain was closely aligned politically. I doubt he'd have won election if it weren't for that crisis.

If our economy continues to deteriorate at its current pace, IMO, any Rep aside from EJ Pipkin, Ehrlich, and Andy Harris should be able to overcome the organizational challenges.

The MD repubs are on facebook now though!

Old 09-29-2009, 10:46 AM

6,942 posts, read 11,198,655 times
Tricky - Hope springs eternal my friend. I wouldn't bet the farm on a GOP victory. The registration and party performance numbers are just too overwhelmingly one sided.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:02 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,387,708 times
Quote:
lol Did you see the numbers I posted above?

You would be correct in that assumption, but there's nothing to "fear."I don't want to turn this thread into a political war, but I think the Dem-bashing on this thread is a little unwarranted. Ehrlich virtually screwed over Maryland in his single term, and fiscally responsible doesn't exactly describe the deficit he left for O'Malley. The GOP had it's shot at governing MD, and they blew it. Ehrlich had more skeletons in his closest, than they are in the cemetery, even more so than previous (40 years previous) Republican governor Spiro Agnew.
The only reason why you are supporting these do nothing Dems like O'Malley is because you know they will continue to screw Maryland over and continue to ignore the requests from the Majority. I view O'Malley the same way I viewed Parris Glendenning which is not positive....

Its a Shame that Maryland can never get Moderate Democrats to run the state like Virginia has..........

Old 09-29-2009, 10:07 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,387,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
An unsanctioned campaign pamphlet causes your jaw to drop. No issue with the DNC hacking into Steele's financial records, though?
As for "Ehrlich's structural deficit" I imagine you mean the one inherited from Glenndening, that pesky Thornton Plan again.
If you think the groups you mentioned being monitored aren't now, think again. You can't be that naive.

Some of O'Malley's legacy:
1. the structural deficit you mentioned is now $3B.
2. a broken slots license plan (I oppose slots by the way) that has the locals paying for infrastructure.
3. the gutting of the Natural Resources Police, you know, the guys that catch poachers and drunk boaters.
4. Project Open Space funding cut from $42M under Ehrlich to $6M under O'Malley.
5. State Aid to Local Police cut by a similar percentage as Open Space.
6. the change of Ehrlich's Flush Tax from a grant program to loans after construction on ENR upgrades started. Some numbers on that: Ellicott City at $100M, Chesapeake Beach at $14M, North Beach at $5M. All projects begun under Ehrlich with grant promises that now have to be paid back.
7. new rules on stormwater management whose costs will rival the ENR costs.
8. long planned roads funding being cancelled so the ICC can be built.
9. MD becoming a de facto sanctuary state for illegals.

Yeah, O'Malley's a good governor.
Thats only because Parris Glendenning made Attempts to Sabatoge the ICC Project which was very Evil and Selfish of him.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
The only reason why you are supporting these do nothing Dems like O'Malley is because you know they will continue to screw Maryland over and continue to ignore the requests from the Majority. I view O'Malley the same way I viewed Parris Glendenning which is not positive....

Its a Shame that Maryland can never get Moderate Democrats to run the state like Virginia has..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Thats only because Parris Glendenning made Attempts to Sabatoge the ICC Project which was very Evil and Selfish of him.
Aw no, this guy again. Whatever you say my friend. To tell the truth the only Maryland Republican I really trust is Wayne Gilchrest who is considered a RINO, and was virtually disavowed by his own party.The WaPo actually had an article about him today, and how is igiving back to the community even in his retirement: washingtonpost.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland