U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-27-2009, 08:16 PM

102 posts, read 196,368 times

Advertisements

I drove for 6 years in Michigan and for 12 years in the New York City metro area and hardly saw such a driving behavior in both states.

In MD, **regardless of traffic conditions** I see drivers taking an exit at the last second everyday. They drive as if they didn't know they would have to take an exit. What is this kind of driving behavior for? Are so many MD drivers simply unfamiliar with roads, or what?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 08:20 PM

297 posts, read 850,408 times
My guess is that they are distracted drivers (by the way, it's not just Maryland drivers that do this) who didn't pay attention to the signs indicating the upcoming exits and only realized that they had to get off at the last minute. A truck almost cut me off at the exit off 70 to 695 S a couple of days ago. I don't know what the heck the driver was doing up to that point?!

Old 09-27-2009, 09:55 PM

16,762 posts, read 16,269,738 times
Because everyone that does that is very, very important and have to be where they need to go and consequences or danger be damned.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:53 PM

205 posts, read 543,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Kim View Post
Are so many MD drivers simply unfamiliar with roads, or what?
I'd say they're more unfamiliar with how to drive. I've seen that type of highway driving more times than I'd wish to count. My favorite is when they go from the left lane, across multiple lanes of traffic, and just barely hit the exit in time. I've seen this happen even during rush hour in heavy traffic. It caught me by surprise a few times because you have to be there anticipating someone doing this or else you wind up in a fender bender and the other person is always out of control just like they were in their car.

Lately, I've been having "fun" with Maryland's multi-lane circles. What a horrible idea with horrible signage no one can understand. No one seems to stay in their lane in the circle, people in the outer lane commonly try to continue around the circle when they can't, and people inside the circle don't seem to understand that there's two lanes and a yield sign for incoming traffic as opposed to a stop sign. While I'm on the subject of circles I'll also take a moment to complain about all the idiots who think route 30 has a speed limit of 30 mph instead of the 55 on the bypass section. Idiots!

Chris-Kim, I think what you're seeing is a Baltimore and DC thing. I also have not noticed driving behavior anywhere near this bad in the other places I've been. Harrisburg, Orlando, Savannah, Atlanta, Raleigh, etc all seem to have better drivers.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:13 AM

Nowadays when I'm about to take an exit, I anticipate some idiot doing this stupid and dangerous BS. Never in my life did I anticipate such BS on highways and I've driven a lot on NY & NJ highways.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:39 AM

876 posts, read 1,486,433 times
I really miss MD driving, Fl is the worst...

Old 09-28-2009, 07:26 AM

537 posts, read 978,411 times
I've always wondered the same thing. There are bad drivers everywhere with bad driving habits unique to every metro area...

Pittsburgh people and their fear of tunnels (for those who haven't been, people in pittsburgh slam on the brakes and drive slow through tunnels).

Atlanta and all the jalopies on the road, which always seem to catch on fire during rush hour on the beltway there.

NYC metro, where there must be magnets on the fenders and bumpers of cars, because they always seem to ride your ass.

But MD is weird...it's like a Hobbesian experiment. People see traffic and assume it will make it better so they run and gun the shoulder or merge lane, which in turn makes traffic worse as more cars must break to allow them in.

And then, there are those who are too prideful or angry at the people who cut in, so they won't let them in, leading to more accidents, and more traffic.

Or conversely as OP points out, drive in the passing lane if it's moving fast and then lane sweep to get to the exit to avoid the people driving on the shoulder or in a merge lane near an exit.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:42 AM

1,764 posts, read 3,816,841 times
Quote:
I drove for 6 years in Michigan and for 12 years in the New York City metro area and hardly saw such a driving behavior in both states.

In MD, **regardless of traffic conditions** I see drivers taking an exit at the last second everyday.
Cell phones. I'll bet it's gotten worse in MI & NYC since you lived there, too.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:02 AM

782 posts, read 1,688,713 times
Quote:
In MD, **regardless of traffic conditions** I see drivers taking an exit at the last second everyday. They drive as if they didn't know they would have to take an exit. What is this kind of driving behavior for? Are so many MD drivers simply unfamiliar with roads, or what?
I am guessing you are speaking of Montgomery or PG County? If so the answer can be found here:

Interpreter/Translation Providers

The drivers CANNOT READ ENGLISH - so when they notice on the Beltway in the left lane (at 65 miles per hour) that oops - look it is New Hamphire Avenue - they quickly turn hard right to make it to their exit.

The test should be in ENGLISH only - since the STREET and EXIT SIGNS are English only. If you can't read enough English to determine Georgia Avenue from University Blvd - perhaps you should be riding the Metro or take the bus.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:04 PM

In NY, the use of a cell phone is prohibited while driving. If you get caught, you will pay at least a $200 fine and your insurance premium will skyrocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland