U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 11:53 PM

9 posts, read 11,141 times
Default Moving to Ann Arundle area...

Hello all,

As the title states Ill be moving to the area here soon. I have talked to a few agents about finding places, but so far no luck. I am in the Military, USMC, and will be recruiting in the area for the next 3 or so years. I will be most likely be working out of the Glen Burnie area, and am looking for something for my fiance and myself to be comfortable in. We are looking just for rental options right now, until we have more time to actually look and see if it would be worth buying. I know that GB area is not really an idea place to live, so we are looking for something around there that wouldnt be to far to travel each day to work. Another thing is we have 2 dogs. I just dont seem to be able to find many rentals that suit our needs. Any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 05:13 AM

407 posts, read 722,357 times
There are several towns that you could relocate to without having your commute time overly long. Annapolis, Severna Park, Millersville, but I think the rent is pretty high. I am not sure who is pet friendly and who is not as we have never rented in the area. You might rethink purchasing something and then if you have to relocate again, renting it our yourself.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:02 AM

513 posts, read 733,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beilart View Post
There are several towns that you could relocate to without having your commute time overly long. Annapolis, Severna Park, Millersville, but I think the rent is pretty high. I am not sure who is pet friendly and who is not as we have never rented in the area. You might rethink purchasing something and then if you have to relocate again, renting it our yourself.
Why would a military guy want the headache of being a landlord on a house that's almost guaranteed to lose value over the next three years, and which will have a 10% transaction cost to get rid of?

I find it funny that all the old soldiers used to preach to the younger ones in days past to never, ever buy a home while serving, unless it's your last duty station or somewhere you're sure you want to retire at. Then along comes the great housing boom, and all the sales folks making fat commissions preached to members of the military "buy, don't rent, you're throwing away you're money." That proved to be untrue and ruined the credit of a lot of military families, not too mention causing them horrible stress while serving overseas and getting stuck with negative equity homes they couldn't sell. Then having to pay for two residences at their next duty station, a rental and a mortgage, most simply let the homes go into foreclosure.

Besides, military folks get a monthly housing allowance to cover the cost of living for a given area. Some pocket money each money by renting a place that's cheaper than the allowance.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=awj2TMDLnwsU

Last edited by Dreamy46; 10-11-2009 at 10:18 AM..

Old 10-11-2009, 01:37 PM

407 posts, read 722,357 times
The military people we know all own homes and rent when relocating. Sometimes they sell and purchase elsewhere. Guess it is a matter of preference for the soldier in question.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:49 PM

296 posts, read 566,003 times
I live in Glen Burnie and it's not a bad place to live. I still can't figure out why people continue to badmouth it.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:36 PM

I didnt mean to bad mouth any place, I just have to go off of what I hear due to the fact that I cant visit any of these areas to make the assesment myself. I recieved orders a few weeks ago and began my search from San Diego, CA. So that is why feedback on here is important. I will be heading back east at the end of this month and will be needing a place up there to move into. My better half is looking with no luck, she is located in Va currently and has visited the area twice to look at townhomes and a few houses for rent. But all seem to not meet what we are looking for. Due to the short amount of time we have to find a place, we are going crazy looking. I appreciate all the feedback....

Old 10-12-2009, 12:01 AM

205 posts, read 526,144 times
For purchase options, you might want to check out Tanyard Springs or the smaller builders operating in the Marley section.

For rentals, I'm not really sure what's available in the area that's decent. You'll find a ton of rentals around Fort Meade though. You might want to start your rental search around Odenton and Hanover. Since you're military you may also be able to get some of that new base housing they've been working on. The area appears to be slowly improving when I drive by.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:59 AM

Due to the short amount of time I have before I move, I will not be purchasing anything right away, if at all. I really am just looking for a nice pet friendly rental in the surrounding area of Glen Burnie. I do appreciate everyones input.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:40 PM

Location: Somewhere in the South where the locals don't think it is the South
34 posts, read 31,539 times
Perhaps see what they have in Curtis Bay or Riviera Beach.

Wiz

Old 10-12-2009, 06:49 PM

I have looked in both areas, well the realtor has. And nothing to show for it. But I appreciate the help. I might have found a place today, but still not a definate. Its located in Odenton in Piney Orchard. It is not exactly what we are looking for, but will sufice due to short amount of time to move in. I have somethings that I would prefer to store in a garage, ie. dirtbike/ATVs but I guess Ill have to get a local storage unit. Compromises....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland