U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 12:30 AM

3,684 posts, read 8,488,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contriver View Post
Well, yes I am single and in my 20s, but I am also a full-time dad. And as an involved parent, I like to choose activities that involve both me and him. Thats why I like Columbia, it appears that there are alot of family-oriented events/things to do there.

I'd love to live in NYC BTW Maybe someday when my little guy is all grown up I will try it, although most likely I won't be single by then

Ok since you are a devoted full time Dad ignore the NYC night life advice...LOL

Columbia would suit you well there are many single parents here and you will have a great time with your son. Just be sure to check the schools he will attend prior to buying anything...they are all good but still with in good there are great and just ok...so check them out in person. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 01:27 AM

429 posts, read 1,306,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Interestingly enough they are right in the middle so you get two sets of stations...the DC and Baltimore ones so you can watch either or both news. Now I'm still a Yankees, Giants, and Rangers girl so I'm not into the local sports teams....but from what I see they are split pretty evenly between the Ravens and Redskins and most are into the Orioles as the Nationals just started and don't have a huge fan base yet. Also the Washington Post and Baltimore Sun are evenly read and distributed here. So I would say you get to pick or do both.
Hey, I live outside DC and I am a Yankees, Giants, and Rangers guy!

Let me ask, isn't it great that whenever the Yankees, Giants, and Rangers are in town they load up DC and BAL with their fans?

I gotta ask too don't you find DC and BAL sports fans to be inferior novice fools compared to NY fans?
Not only do they not the game or support their teams as well but they just are so immature.
I can not stand Orioles, Redskins, or Caps fans, though the Caps and Orioles both have small fanbases.

What about you, and how are Ravens fans, not many in Northern VA.
Is football in BAL much bigger than baseball like it is in DC too?

Old 05-15-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
Hey, I live outside DC and I am a Yankees, Giants, and Rangers guy!

Let me ask, isn't it great that whenever the Yankees, Giants, and Rangers are in town they load up DC and BAL with their fans?

I gotta ask too don't you find DC and BAL sports fans to be inferior novice fools compared to NY fans?
Not only do they not the game or support their teams as well but they just are so immature.
I can not stand Orioles, Redskins, or Caps fans, though the Caps and Orioles both have small fanbases.

What about you, and how are Ravens fans, not many in Northern VA.
Is football in BAL much bigger than baseball like it is in DC too?
Well given that I would head back to NYC in a heart beat if given the chance I find all here to be somewhat inferior to there, sorry but after 32 years as a New Yorker it's hard to leave it behind. Although the reason we left the city is because we wanted our kids to be in a better place, and they are so it's all good. As for the fans here I think they are about the same as the fans anywhere except there are so many transplants here lots of people aren't rooting for the home teams as much as they are for their hometown teams. I think the teams here are a poor substitute for most. Ravens fans are nuts but are the most loyal amongst the local teams, they do seem to have a large fan base. The Orioles are drowned out by the visiting fans most days, but there are some loyal ones here and there. Football is definitely bigger here, from what I see, than baseball is.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:01 AM

225 posts, read 353,462 times
Irishmom, what part of MD are you in?

I only went to O's games when I was in my late teens for the fun of being in the stands, getting on the screen, etc. LOL LOVE football but miss the Stallions though the Ravens have had some pretty amazing seasons. Too bad the guy who runs it made such a bad first impression on me when he began trying to turn every aspect of it into a money maker for him above just owning the team. Love the coach though. I would definitely say football is bigger back there than baseball.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:15 PM

33 posts, read 148,551 times
Hi. Newbie to the forum, here. Not new to the O's though. Go Birds!! (Boo Yankees!) ;-D (Though, I too would go back to NYC in a NY minute if it were more affordable.)

Has anyone here gone to see the Bowie Baysox or the Frederick Keys? Minor league teams seem to be pretty popular in MD and I've been meaning to go for the longest time. If you're in Columbia, it'd be about 30-40 minutes to get to either of these fields, traffic allowing.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:29 PM

33 posts, read 148,551 times
Default Conservative areas around Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltzst View Post
In all actuallity, I have the same question. But I'd like to ask, or add this to the request:

are there any areas around Columbia that will be mentioned that have a more conservative base in the schools and somewhat rural? (15-20 minutes to walmart/target) and still not 'neckish
-----------------------------------

Maryland has many conservative pockets. Parts of PG county, and Anne Arundel are still conservative. However, more solidly so are the counties on the Eastern Shore, in Southern MD, and to the west of Balt./Columbia in Central MD. (And on into Western MD)

Frederick County (and city of Frederick), is about 20-30 minutes west of Columbia on I-70 and is very conservative. However, it has been growing like mad as a bedroom community for both Balt and DC. (It's at the juncture of I-70 and I-270)

Carroll County is also growing, borders PA's York and (I think) Lancaster counties. Beautiful landscape! But perhaps because it is off the interstate, growth has been much slower than in Fred.

Northern Montgomery Co. tends to be a mix of liberal and conservative, the liberals having the edge.

All of Maryland's agricultural areas are under pressure of urban sprawl and Mont Co has an "Ag Reserve" area in which the transfer of ag. land is strictly(?) regulated. I'm not sure, but Carroll Co. may also have an ag. reserve area. Don't quote me on that.

I hope this is helpful.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isis297 View Post
Irishmom, what part of MD are you in?

I only went to O's games when I was in my late teens for the fun of being in the stands, getting on the screen, etc. LOL LOVE football but miss the Stallions though the Ravens have had some pretty amazing seasons. Too bad the guy who runs it made such a bad first impression on me when he began trying to turn every aspect of it into a money maker for him above just owning the team. Love the coach though. I would definitely say football is bigger back there than baseball.
Columbia...and yes I think the Ravens had some great seasons and won over a lot of fans and have built loyalty that way. Unless a major team is playing (Yankees, Red Sox, etc.) the stands at the O's games are half empty most of the time.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:58 PM

429 posts, read 1,306,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Columbia...and yes I think the Ravens had some great seasons and won over a lot of fans and have built loyalty that way. Unless a major team is playing (Yankees, Red Sox, etc.) the stands at the O's games are half empty most of the time.
I love seeing the Orioles get invaded, so you're saying Baltimore is much more football crazy than baseball, that they would never get invaded in football and this is not just due to the Ravens being better, on a whole Baltimore=football first and foremost?

Old 05-16-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
I love seeing the Orioles get invaded, so you're saying Baltimore is much more football crazy than baseball, that they would never get invaded in football and this is not just due to the Ravens being better, on a whole Baltimore=football first and foremost?
Oh I really don't know, but the Ravens games are definitely full of Ravens fans much more so than the Orioles games are full of Orioles fans. I don't know why but it seems that way to me. The Orioles are selling these packs to kids that are like $20 a piece...you get a hat, I think a sticker for your car, and 15 games for this. So I'm thinking they are trying to drum up fans.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:58 PM
JKF

12 posts, read 102,916 times
Default I agree with IrishMom Both cities split even on DC/Baltimore

I grew up in that area and what folks have been saying about Columbia is spot on. As far as conservative community goes, I would not call Columbia that, far from it I would say. So, Boltzst Columbia is a liberal city, with an active and vocal environmental movement and gay community. If you are looking for a slightly more conservative area than Howard County, try Anne Arundel County, but over all Maryland trends Middle of the road to Liberal. I know Harford and Carroll county are fairly conservative but these are a greater distance to the Columbia area than Anne Arundel.

Last edited by JKF; 05-17-2007 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland