U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 08:30 PM

770 posts, read 2,646,954 times

Advertisements

I moved to Charlotte, NC about 5 years ago and hated it! We ended up moving here to the Annapolis area in Maryland. Now with property taxes going up, the costs of homes and our good ol' BGE bill, we are forced to look elsewhere to buy a single family home. Many of our friends have moved to the Raleigh, NC area. They assure me that Raleigh is nothing like Charlotte and that they too hated Charlotte. We have been down once so far, and it seemed to be ok. We were only there for a few days, and you know how it is when you go to VISIT a town...it is exciting and you fall in love with it. We can purchase a brand new home, 2600 sq ft for 210K and the property taxes on it would be about 1600 a yr! We have done our homework and we think we are ready to go. However, I wanted to see if any of you have moved to NC and found that you just hated it and moved back to the DC/MD area. if you reply back please tell me what part of NC you left and why...thanks sooo much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 07:24 AM

270 posts, read 777,992 times
What made you hate it there?

What could be worse then spending big bucks on homes/gas/utilities, huge congestion and so many rude people (as you see in this area)?

Old 05-11-2007, 07:25 AM

Oh.. I forgot to say that I live in MD too (and moving as soon as I can).

Old 05-11-2007, 10:31 AM

392 posts, read 1,204,334 times
autimom4ever if you don't mind me asking where are you thinking about moving to? I don't think NC is on the top of people who want to get out of Maryland list. I am with you two, trying to get outta here... Me and my MARC train patrons have actually started a "get outta MD ASAP" club, and no I am not kidding...

Old 05-11-2007, 10:34 AM

The Charlotte area - in SC. I've lived in SC before.
I can't wait

Old 05-11-2007, 10:59 AM

1,968 posts, read 4,501,222 times
I'm in the Annapolis area, too and we're also looking to get out. We moved here way back before real estate prices went crazy so fortunate enough to have a house. But between BGE, property taxes, huge increase in neighborhood traffic and other escalating prices, it's just not worth it anymore.

I know of several families who have left. The first wave seemed to have headed to Chesapeake/Virginia Beach and then the second wave headed to NC (Triangle & one family headed to Asheville).

As for me, I'm on my way out, but still undecided. I have family in San Antonio so seriously considering there. Although after reading the VA board, Roanoke really does look interesting--if only b/c its closer to family I have up north. Decisions, decisions...

What appeals to you about NC/SC?

Old 05-11-2007, 11:26 AM

What appeals to me is that there is less traffic, nicer people (I'm sure there are rude people everywhere.. but not like here), the cost of living is WAY less and I like the schools better...

People may laugh at me regarding the school reason because Maryland has one of the best records regarding schools BUT it is because of that I don't like Maryland schools. They care more about their status/scores then about their kids (at least the administration does.. not teachers.. but they are stuck in having to do what administration tells them to).

I want my kids to go to school and enjoy learning and also be a kid. I DON'T want them to feel pressured and eventually depressed if they cannot keep up with the states "standard".

I'm sick of Maryland's (and don't get me wrong.. it's not everyone..but MANY people) motto, "I'm #1, so get out of my way".

In SC/NC, I see people care about others much more. How often do you walk down the street in MD and make eye contact with someone else and actually say, "Good Morning or Hi". Down there it happens many times a day. I have had it happen maybe twice in 16 years.

Ok.. Off my soap box... JMO

Old 05-11-2007, 11:31 AM

392 posts, read 1,204,334 times
Where I live I have friendly neighbors. I live way north of the DC area and the commute is killing me. Plus, we are in an area which will be affected by the BRAC meaning a lot of people will be transplanting to our neighborhoods. And BGE... need i say more?

Old 05-11-2007, 07:59 PM

22,999 posts, read 17,970,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
I moved to Charlotte, NC about 5 years ago and hated it! We ended up moving here to the Annapolis area in Maryland. Now with property taxes going up, the costs of homes and our good ol' BGE bill, we are forced to look elsewhere to buy a single family home. Many of our friends have moved to the Raleigh, NC area. They assure me that Raleigh is nothing like Charlotte and that they too hated Charlotte. We have been down once so far, and it seemed to be ok. We were only there for a few days, and you know how it is when you go to VISIT a town...it is exciting and you fall in love with it. We can purchase a brand new home, 2600 sq ft for 210K and the property taxes on it would be about 1600 a yr! We have done our homework and we think we are ready to go. However, I wanted to see if any of you have moved to NC and found that you just hated it and moved back to the DC/MD area. if you reply back please tell me what part of NC you left and why...thanks sooo much!
You haven't said what makes NC attractive other than you can afford it. Why are you moving there?

Old 05-12-2007, 09:52 AM

Who are you asking?

If it is me, I am moving there for the very reasons I am leaving here.
What irks me about here is the exact opposite there.

That is why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland