Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 8,624 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am considering relocating to the Lexington park area of MD. I just received a job offer with Pratt and Whitney there. I am wondering if anyone can tell me average utilities prices (Electric, Gas, Water, Internet, etc..) for that area. From what I have researched it seems like an expensive region to live in. I'll most likely be renting a 2 bedroom apartment (2 adults and a toddler). Also, any info concerning what others are paying for car insurance would be helpful, I am currently making car payments, average 4-door sedan. Its a higher paying job but im not sure if it would even be worth the move with the apparent cost of living. The point of a higher paying job is to save money, not just continuing to exist making more and paying more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 10:58 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,224 times
I had a 1 bedroom apartment and electric was roughly $100/month, gas was roughly $30/month, water was flat rate $23/month, internet varies depending on provider you can look it up online... St. Mary's county is dominated by good ol' boy networking, garbage metrocast... I was paying $145/month for my 99 Civic Si, 21 years old, clean driving record...

I was paying $1100/month for rent and my apartment was a dump... The average starting price for a 1 bedroom in that area is about 1k/month...

The cost of living is extremely high in MD, but the utilities are pretty reasonable in my opinion...

Personally I don't recommend moving to MD for anyone who isn't rich, a liberal, and loves the cold...

That being said Southern MD is a really nice place to live... There is very little crime, great public schools, and a semi-rural laid back atmosphere... Its just not worth the price of admission in my opinion...

Old 11-12-2009, 12:26 PM

513 posts, read 1,223,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnickel86 View Post
Hello,
I am considering relocating to the Lexington park area of MD. I just received a job offer with Pratt and Whitney there. I am wondering if anyone can tell me average utilities prices (Electric, Gas, Water, Internet, etc..) for that area. From what I have researched it seems like an expensive region to live in. I'll most likely be renting a 2 bedroom apartment (2 adults and a toddler). Also, any info concerning what others are paying for car insurance would be helpful, I am currently making car payments, average 4-door sedan. Its a higher paying job but im not sure if it would even be worth the move with the apparent cost of living. The point of a higher paying job is to save money, not just continuing to exist making more and paying more.
Your best bet on getting an accurate car insurance quote is to call your own insurance company, that is unless you're now using some small agency that you won't be transferring the coverage because they don't operate here. All the big companies, Allstate etc, can give you a quote in exchange for you giving them a zip code (20653 for LP). Maryland has one of the highest car insurance rates in the country and there's an endless parade of bad car wrecks.

As for your move, Saint Mary's County is one of the nicest places in Maryland. Lexington Park however is the worst place in Saint Mary's County. Unfortunately, that's where most of the apartments are located.

I like the Spyglass Apartment complex because it's out of the downtown area. You can view the rental rates on their website. It's almost right outside of the southernmost gate of Pax River and sits on the Chesapeake Bay.

Spyglass at Cedar Cove Apartments - Lexington Park, MD - Apartment Homes For Rent

You'll most likely have to use Metrocast for Internet. Rates here:

MetroCast - Digital Cable + High Speed Internet + Digital Phone

Verizon does have cheap DSL though depending on how you are to the infrastructure.

Good Luck

Old 11-12-2009, 01:14 PM

Isn't spyglass the complex right by the runway? I had some friends that lived there and they couldn't stand the noise... I recommend the apartments in Wildewood...

Old 11-12-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
Isn't spyglass the complex right by the runway? I had some friends that lived there and they couldn't stand the noise... I recommend the apartments in Wildewood...
You get military jet noise throughout the entire area down there. There's even a clause built into the Maryland real estate contract that you can't complain about it. I don't see how someone who's going to work for an aircraft company is going to complain about jet noise. They call it the sound of freedom.

Wildewood's not a bad area either. He just needs to stay either North or South of the downtown area.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
You get military jet noise throughout the entire area down there. There's even a clause built into the Maryland real estate contract that you can't complain about it. I don't see how someone who's going to work for an aircraft company is going to complain about jet noise. They call it the sound of freedom.

Wildewood's not a bad area either. He just needs to stay either North or South of the downtown area.
I lived in SOMD my whole life, the jet noise is definitely worse at spyglass than any other apartment complex I have been to... I mean if you are right by the main runway you have a much higher percentage chance of hearing the noise at all hours... The only place I have heard of it being an "issue" was the spyglass apartments and surrounding areas... Just an FYI for the OP...

After visiting friends apartments and living in my own, I would just say that Wildewood is the nicest of them all... Abberly crest is also very nice but I have heard many complaints about the staff there...

Old 11-12-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
I lived in SOMD my whole life, the jet noise is definitely worse at spyglass than any other apartment complex I have been to... I mean if you are right by the main runway you have a much higher percentage chance of hearing the noise at all hours... The only place I have heard of it being an "issue" was the spyglass apartments and surrounding areas... Just an FYI for the OP...

After visiting friends apartments and living in my own, I would just say that Wildewood is the nicest of them all... Abberly crest is also very nice but I have heard many complaints about the staff there...
I would take the tradeoff of the occasional jet noise at Spyglass versus the extended commute from Wildewood if I was working on PAX. You could even eat lunch at home living there it's so close. And you're not going to walk out of your unit in Wildewood, head down the path to the beach, and throw a line out for some Rockfish living elsewhere either.

Everything has tradeoffs.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:49 AM

2 posts, read 8,624 times
Thanks for all the input. Definitely many things to consider about this possible move. But the way I look at it, get laid off here or take a job there.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnickel86 View Post
Thanks for all the input. Definitely many things to consider about this possible move. But the way I look at it, get laid off here or take a job there.
Good luck to you, Southern MD is a really nice place to live, one of the very very few nice places in the entire state... I miss it but I just couldn't afford to live there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland