Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2007, 09:57 PM

5 posts, read 18,607 times

Advertisements

A while ago I posted that my boyfriend and I would be moving to Baltimore and were looking for info on areas and commuting possibilities. He is going to be starting grad school at Towson and I have luckily found a job working at Goucher College (I was very excited that the two are only about 1-2 miles apart...I didn't think that would happen considering nearly everything I applied for was in Bethesda or Rockville).

I am now looking for anyone who could possibly provide some information on where specifically to live in Towson (or where not to live). I am just trying to avoid the "dorms off campus" sort of places. We are looking to rent a 2 bedroom apartment or townhouse that is fairly close to the two schools for around $1200. The price is not the most important part. It would be great to pay less, but as I said I don't want too much noise etc. and would be willing to pay more.

I would love any contributions on the subject. I am very excited to finally have an area to concentrate my housing hunting efforts and to move to Balt in the near future. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 06:43 PM

10 posts, read 46,136 times
I would avoid 21286, but that's just me. Towson is a cool area. I like it alot even though traffic sucks. If you want something cheaper than typical Towson homes, maybe look in the Parkville area (21234...I think) somewhere around Joppa and Old Harford or Harford Rd. Like I said, I would avoid Loch Raven (21286). If you are willing to put out the money, Lutherville and Timonium are nice (21093, I think). I used to live in Cockeysville (not too far from Towson) and it was nice, but expensive. In my opinion, your best bet would be Timonium.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:12 PM

4 posts, read 99,445 times
I am also considering a move to Towson. Is anyone familiar with Donneybrook Apartments? Impressions?

Old 06-02-2007, 07:32 AM

3 posts, read 12,330 times
Default Towson is a great area

Donnybrook Apartments are okay--they're on the old side, but very convenient to Towson University. If you have transportation and can afford it, you might consider going a little farther north or east. Fellowship Court is very nice, and still very convenient.

As for crime/livability, it's a college town, so it's not 100% crime free. But the entire area surrounding TU and Goucher is generally low-crime, middle-to-upper class, and a great area. For commuters who don't have to take mass transit but want to be nearby, I'd also recommend Parkville, Cockeysville, and Timonium.

Also, the entire Baltimore metro area generally gets an unfair reputation for violent crime. Certain neighborhoods ARE terrible. But I live just over the city line and work downtown and feel very safe. No place is Mayberry these days. Be smart and sensible, but don't fear Baltimore! It's a wonderful city.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:04 AM

553 posts, read 1,706,521 times
Default Towson not exactly low crime

Having lived in Towson - definitely avoid any neighborhoods which rent to college students...Towson is growing in terms of enrollment by leaps and bounds and there is increasing friction in neighborhoods where college kids are mixed in.

Also, I would disagree with the statement Towson is low crime. Towson is great, but it does suffer from the same sorts of problems as Georgetown in DC. It's an upper class area, but with the shopping and attractions, draws a lot of troublemakers, particularly at nights and on weekends. There is a lot of crime at the mall - there have been a couple murders, several carjackings, and more burglary/muggings than the surrounding areas. You need to be as careful there as most other places.

If you are going to move there, for $1200 you should be able to find a place where you have off street/garaged parking and decent security in the building.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:29 AM

131 posts, read 693,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snap203 View Post
I am also considering a move to Towson. Is anyone familiar with Donneybrook Apartments? Impressions?
In the category of "for what it's worth," my sister lived in Donneybrook back in the late 1980s. She loved the apartment itself, but had trouble sleeping because the guy below her snored like a Mack truck and apparently the soundproofing wasn't good.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 5,412 times
I live in Towson and have found, in the past 6 months, an increase in alcohol relate dincidents. I have chased several drunks out of my yard of late. There are also reports from neighbors of some forced entry robberies. A suspicious person tried to get a neighbor of mine to open their doors late one recent evening. Towson University has a phone line that the community can report incidents to. This will result in fines through the school against the offenders. I have also learned that by noting the license numbers and parking pass numbers these can be reported directly to the unversity AND the Public Housing Authority. I do REALLY like it here and am not going to let a bunch of hooligans ruin it for me or my family.

Last edited by mjtrepanier; 02-27-2008 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: Final thought

Old 02-27-2008, 10:46 AM

33 posts, read 175,597 times
i don't know why everyone is down on the 21286 zip code, there are wonderful places to live in there. my parents still live there and it's great. i would personally avoid parkville, not b/c i think it's terrible, but if you are working at goucher and towson there's plenty of places closer that would be good. i would avoid apartments on kenilworth drive, there tend to be ALOT of students living there (if that's what you want to avoid). also, be very careful with apartment complexes in cockeysville/timonium area. it's a huge draw for college students as well and some do tend to be like dorms, but it can vary from building to building. i lived in cromwell valley apartments a few years ago (in the 21286 zip code right near goucher) and had a nice sized place and neighbors i never heard. it is kinda close to the highway though. my boyfriend used to make fun of me saying i lived in a nursing home (we had many the elderly neighbor) but his place (in cockeysville, surrounded by loud college students) used to drive me nuts. i guess it depends on preference.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,939 times
Retired New Yoker moved to Towson, MD lived there 2007-2009. I loved it. My daughter married and moved there also, she loved it as well. Unfortunately work and family situations caused us to move, we often share such fond memories. Rita's, Chipotle's, Friday's (the Mall), Barnes and Nobles and shopping, the summer block parties downtown towson. Love, Love, Loved it!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:56 AM

569 posts, read 1,441,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWATSONMD View Post
Donnybrook Apartments are okay--they're on the old side, but very convenient to Towson University. If you have transportation and can afford it, you might consider going a little farther north or east. Fellowship Court is very nice, and still very convenient.

As for crime/livability, it's a college town, so it's not 100% crime free. But the entire area surrounding TU and Goucher is generally low-crime, middle-to-upper class, and a great area. For commuters who don't have to take mass transit but want to be nearby, I'd also recommend Parkville, Cockeysville, and Timonium.

Also, the entire Baltimore metro area generally gets an unfair reputation for violent crime. Certain neighborhoods ARE terrible. But I live just over the city line and work downtown and feel very safe. No place is Mayberry these days. Be smart and sensible, but don't fear Baltimore! It's a wonderful city.
Donnybrook has no central air. That was a dealbreaker for me. I opted for the Fairways Apartment complex just around the corner. They are much nicer and within the OP's price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland