U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-10-2010, 09:43 PM

4,494 posts, read 1,705,299 times
Default Cold Weather is KILLING my Pockets!!!!!!!!!!

Cold front is KILLING me. New Pepco bill is $769.:cryi ng: I've been in this home for over a year and have NEVER had a bill this high. Winter bill usually averages about $375-400.00. No abnormal heating usage, so I can only attribute this hike to the cold front that's been hanging around the Metro DC area. Although I HATE having to pay this, I REFUSE to freeze in my home (Well, I refuse to let my four children freeze...if it was just me, I'd put on a coat and say screw it). I keep the thermostat at 70. Perhaps, I should go down a bit, but even 65 is a bit chilly for me. Ugh, I think I"m going to give it a go, because this can't go on. Home is ALL electric.

Anyone else seen a dramatic increase in their electric bill from the recent cold front?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 10:05 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,715,005 times
It has been colder, even here in Tennessee. I didn't expect a Maryland January in Knoxville!
Have you done an energy audit on your home? You should be able to cut that cost down considerably. There are low interest, no interest programs available to help with costs as part of the Energy Star program. Start here:
Energy Conservation Programs - Pepco
And here:
Incentives & Resources + Maryland Energy Administration

Old 01-11-2010, 07:15 AM

768 posts, read 1,916,573 times
1) How old is the home?
2) Any drafts?
3) Sq.ft. of home?
4) Heating type?

I keep mine at 60 to save money. Pepco is hiking costs again this year.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:50 AM

1,749 posts, read 4,110,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Cold front is KILLING me. New Pepco bill is $769.:cryi ng: I've been in this home for over a year and have NEVER had a bill this high. Winter bill usually averages about $375-400.00. No abnormal heating usage, so I can only attribute this hike to the cold front that's been hanging around the Metro DC area. Although I HATE having to pay this, I REFUSE to freeze in my home (Well, I refuse to let my four children freeze...if it was just me, I'd put on a coat and say screw it). I keep the thermostat at 70. Perhaps, I should go down a bit, but even 65 is a bit chilly for me. Ugh, I think I"m going to give it a go, because this can't go on. Home is ALL electric.

Anyone else seen a dramatic increase in their electric bill from the recent cold front?
Same here. I just installed a new high efficiency heat pump last year, and have been keeping my thermostat at 70 (which is chilly IMO). My electric bill for December is $465 for a 1200 square foot rowhouse. I checked last year's bill, and the highest winter heating bill was $350 (and last year I had the thermostat set higher).

Old 01-11-2010, 08:59 AM

3 posts, read 6,124 times
dude, turn the temps down, put on a sweat shirt... i pay 500 for 4800 sp foot home, and you live in a townhouse... get some curtains to cut down on wind drafts through your window.. put energy bulbs in your lamps, change your filters... our home is 66 during the day and 64 at night.. it can be cold some days, but we suck it up... god made clothes... fleece sheets in the bed from costco are awesome... you can sleep in shorts and t-shirt... they rock... $30 bucks...

Old 01-11-2010, 09:51 AM

516 posts, read 777,131 times
Would doing a budget plan through them help??

Our last pepco bill was 170.. and we have electric everything.. but we put it on 62 (with little kids.. we just bundle up)

Old 01-11-2010, 10:46 AM

1,749 posts, read 4,110,312 times
I guess it's a matter of priorities. I am not rolling in dough by any stretch of the imagination, but I agree with Choclot - I refuse to be uncomfortable in my own home. At 69 or 70 degrees, I am already in a sweatshirt all day, and I'm bundled up with flannel p.j.'s and quilts all night. I'm not going to turn it down any further.

And I don't like budget billing. I had that in the past and found that BGE charged me for substantially more electric than I used for 11 months out of the year. Even though it balanced out on the last bill for the year, I didn't like the fact that they had my money all that time. In effect, I was pre-paying for electric.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:01 AM

516 posts, read 777,131 times
You are right, it is about priorities.. I'd rather not spend money in electric, I'd rather do other stuff, so we bundle up

But it's all what you are willing to do and pay... We aren't uncomfortable at 62 degrees really.. BUT we also live in backtoback/side to side townhomes so it's more insulated so we may not feel it as much

Old 01-11-2010, 11:08 AM

4,995 posts, read 6,676,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I guess it's a matter of priorities. I am not rolling in dough by any stretch of the imagination, but I agree with Choclot - I refuse to be uncomfortable in my own home. At 69 or 70 degrees, I am already in a sweatshirt all day, and I'm bundled up with flannel p.j.'s and quilts all night. I'm not going to turn it down any further.

And I don't like budget billing. I had that in the past and found that BGE charged me for substantially more electric than I used for 11 months out of the year. Even though it balanced out on the last bill for the year, I didn't like the fact that they had my money all that time. In effect, I was pre-paying for electric.
OMG, I feel your pain, and I have heard budget billing is a big rip-off. I'm sorry your bill is so high.

My primary house is way smaller and newer and the bill this month is in the 300's, and I keep the house between 75 and 80 when I'm home. The house has new windows, insulated outlets and heavy, flannel-lined rockin' curtains on most of the windows. I can go HAPPILY without AC(and furniture, come to think of it), but as long as I can afford it, I refuse to freeze.

Well, with such a HIGH bill, you probably don't have much leftover for insulation or curtains or anything this winter! If you haven't already, during the summer you can put curtains on all of your windows! I think that may help.
1. Insulated curtains are cheaper in the summer.
2. Buy your curtain rods from home depot. Get the plain white utility rods that curve back to meet your window.
3. You can get inexpensive insulated curtains at JCPenney online. The only shortcoming is that they're mostly synthetic materials with a synthetic foam backing. I'm not sure if you'd necessarily want to breathe that in a closed house all winter. They also have lined silk curtains that are a little more expensive. You can try those with "interlining" since a plain cotton lining is too thin to do much good IMO. Good luck and hang in there. Spring will be here soon!

Old 01-11-2010, 11:47 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,715,005 times
How do people afford that? I remember struggling with heating oil bills when I lived in Maryland and DC but they never got even close to that.
Mine will be high because of this cold we've had -- 9 days below freezing -- but for me that will be $120 or so for the month and I keep the thermostat at 71 degrees. (1200 square foot condo with high efficiency heat pump). And TVA is saying electric costs will drop this year because they've got so much water in the dams and will be releasing the excess. We depend primarily on hydroelectric power.
Use every possible resource to get as energy efficient as you can. With those costs, I'd be thinking solar panels and wind turbines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland