Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 05:19 PM

109 posts, read 617,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Maat: did you know of the new shopping center coming on 301 in Upper Marlboro going toward Brandywine/Waldorf . I passed the sign yesterday while driving.
No I didn't know about it. That's good to know because we're a little short right now on shopping options in south county. The county exec is usually pretty good about spreading the word on any new development, big or small. He is the ribbon cutting champion of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 05:55 PM

8 posts, read 24,335 times
Thumbs up To anyone relocating to Hagerstown

I read Mesi who needs serious help question. I would like to offer my input having grown up in Hagerstown. I love the beach, so I moved. There are many nice areas in Hagerstown. If you have a degree or specialized skill, you should not have a problem finding a job in or near Hagerstown. Even if you don't have professional degree, there are so many new developing areas, you can find a job. My suggestion, for the area to live in would be the Williamsport area or the North end. I went to North High for a year and was treated better there than at South High. I would avoid the West end, and the South end of Hagerstown. Don't be fooled into thinking the little surrounding towns around Hagerstown are better, they are not. There is big drug action East of Hagerstown, in Smithsburg areas, toward Frederick in those areas...avoid them. Williamsport is full of down to earth, hard working middle income families, who like a beer or two after work. I did not go to school in Williamsport, but have many friends there. The North end is more expensive, and is where most of the new comers to the area migrate to it seems. The north end is more cultural and diverse. Good luck!

Old 08-31-2007, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,598 times
PG is a great place to live. PG has many issues like every other county in Maryland and throughout America. I’ve been in most counties in Maryland and I have seen poor housing, crime, and horrible traffic patterns.

MY OPINION- I am a product of PG. Every issue in PG is political. The county receives negative publicity because its population is 70% Black and it’s the wealthiest minority county in the nation. The county is constantly under fire for any and every negative issue that arrives.

CRIME- PG has seen a dramatic increase in violent crimes. REASON: the southern half of DC is going through racial/economic gentrification. With the new SE/SW (Anacostia) Water front and Nationals Stadium coming soon, poor housing must be rehabbed and poor people must go (NOTE: SE/SW was the most crime infested section of DC). Most of those poor people are Black and choose to move further East to PG (a predominately Black county). As we all know, Blacks tend to live with Blacks and Whites with Whites. So they move to and around the City of Capitol Height (PG). REMEMBER: the neighborhood doesn’t commit crimes but the individuals in the neighborhood does.

PUBLIC SCHOOLS- PG schools aren’t the best. PG curriculum does need some improvement. PG curriculum doesn’t teach students economic and social independence. But PG schools aren’t completely at fault. Education starts at home not at school. Many students in the public schools system are from broken homes and/or have young parent. Those parents aren’t taking time to educate nor discipline their children. They’re busy clubbing and find out who they are and were they want to be. Teachers are being disturbed by misbehaved students while the other students just simply don’t know anything. Their parents are primarily focused on their career/job so that they can pay for their half million dollar home and new cars. We all must take responsibility for our own actions, parents for their children's actions also. It’s a problem that must first be fixed at home then at school.

MORE OPINION- Many of the comments I’ve read on here about PG is negative. People are repeating what the media says about PG. QUESTIONS: Have any of you grew up in PG? Do any of you live here currently? Oh yeah, have any of you seen or experienced a violent crime in PG? Please answer those questions before you criticize. REMEMBER- The local media lives locally. ASK YOURSELVES- why would a predominately White media want a majority minority county to look equal or better than the county they live in. Montgomery, Charles, Howard and Anne Arundel (Virginia- Alexandria City, Fairfax & Loudon) all have their share of violent crimes. Please, do the research! PG is what we, the inhabitants make it. If you’re a resident, please do your part to improve the county.

MY POINT- If PG was such a horrible place to live, why are investors pouring millions of dollars for development into the county. PG has and will have the following:

1. United States Department of Agriculture's Henry A. Wallace Beltsville Agricultural Research Center
2. NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
3. United States Census Bureau
4. Andrews Air Force Base
5. National Archives and Records Administration's
6. University of Maryland's flagship College Park campus
7. Six Flags America, Six Flags Hurricane Harbor
8. FedEx Field- Washington Redskins
9. Woodmore Towne Centre- 245 acres of mixed use development
10. National Harbor, which its developers, Peterson Companies and Gaylord Entertainment Company, bills the largest single mixed-use project and combined convention center–hotel complex on the East Coast. The project is worth more than $2.1 billion

Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_George's_County,_Maryland

Last edited by keithb123; 08-31-2007 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: reorganized paragraphs

Old 11-10-2008, 09:51 PM

9 posts, read 28,751 times
Smithsburg, Maryland. You could probably make a lot more than $18-19 an hour plus it's a nice place, suburbs and country, hardly no crime at all, the occasional fight at a local bar, that's it. Any other questions, mail me.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:55 PM

69 posts, read 400,698 times
Talking Little to no crime in Manchester

I live in Carroll County - Manchester, and I hate to disappoint everyone, but you should see our crime statistics. We are a small town of less than 3329 people - small enough that you know your neighbors and big enough when you don't want to. Only kidding. Yes, there are dental assistant jobs in the paper right now - either in Westminister or Owings Mills, which is less than 10-12 miles from home and with your income, I would think you could live quite comfortably. I don't know if you want small town living or the hustle and bustle of big towns and being jammed in like a can of sardines. We just got finished building a brand new elementary school and they are in the process of building a new high school. When I look at what everybody is saying about PG County, Baltimore, New Jersey, etc., I get down and kiss the ground I live on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland