U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 06:39 AM

63 posts, read 104,940 times
Default comcast vs fios

pro's - con's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 10:27 AM

407 posts, read 705,759 times
I will keep my Comcast. Just do a Google search for both and type in complaints and see what you get. Also check BBB and rip off report for both.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:40 AM

1,749 posts, read 4,110,312 times
What makes me angry is that I had Comcast for years and years...ever since they started doing business in Baltimore County. I had no complaints about the service but it really annoyed me that they arbitrarily raised my rates every year (and sometimes more often) without adding more value to the services. They could get away with it because they were the only game in town (excluding satellite).

When Fios finally arrived, and Verizon offered me a good deal on a bundled package I took the offer. No sooner did I notify Comcast to disconnect me then all of a sudden they offered a dramatic reduction in my rate if I stayed with them. Too little too late.

I haven't had any complaints about Fios. The picture quality is better with Fios, but Comcast offered more free movies and other options with their On Demand. I'll wait until my contract is up and then I guess I'll choose the one who offers the best deal.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:06 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,995,544 times
I had comcast for years and switched to FIOS bundle when it came to my neighborhood. I haven't noticed a difference as far as picture quality or internet speed. I switched to FIOS b/c my comcast bill went up all the time. I also had at least one outtage every couple of months--not a big deal unless you work from home and then it is a big deal.

Overall, FIOS bundle is saving me money comcast. Also, FIOS added an outlet to an upstair bedroom and I was very impressed with how well they hid the wires, didn't disturb my siding. I then had them come out to add another outlet to another room and the guy did a terrible job. So a mixed bag as far as that goes.

What drives me absolutely freakin nuts is that my FIOS bill is never the same every month. Apparently, they autmoatically add services until you cancel them. THe first six months were awful as I was constantly calling to cancel things. The other thing is that the FIOS guy installed FIOS on my laptop along with some other lovely little reminders--you know, to add FIOS security, etc. You can disable this stuff, but it's still annoying. I was told that I had to allow the FIOS guy to do the installation on my laptop. I really didn't like that bc 1) I can do it myself and 2) I don't like people touching my computers.

One big plus over Comcast is the FIOS phone service is much better than Comcast's. I always lost phone service when Comcast went out. That doesn't happen with FIOS. (Fios has only been out once, briefly, since I've had it).

Things are pretty smooth right now, but when my contract is up I'm going with whomever is cheapest.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:38 AM

274 posts, read 808,904 times
I did a price comparison and was surprised to find that FIOS will be more than Comcast for the same service. I am on a special with Comcast, but I'm always on a special. You just have to call them and let them know that you want to keep the service, but you can't afford the high increases. I've never had them tell me there was nothing they could do to get my rates back down after an increase. One thing I do know is they will only work with you if you always pay your bill on time.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:52 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,526,855 times
That's been my expereince, too. they always have specials, and all you do is call up and ask for a special in order to stay. My Comcast bill, even after being with them since 2001, is less than the FIOS introductory pack, and I get more stuff (higher speed internet, way more HD channels, etc). I'm about to upgrade to their new multi-room DVR (since the Motorola HDTV box is the same one as Verizon uses), and will work on getting aspecial deal for that, too.

My cable has been out a grand total of about an hour (if you combine all the outages together) in the nearly a decade I've been with them.

What I've found interesting is the fact that the Comcast interface here in Baltimore county is differnt than iv'e seen it in other regions. my in-laws have it in CT and it's very hard to navigate their interface. Looks completely different, even though it's still Comcast.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:01 AM

205 posts, read 516,040 times
I currently have FIOS in my new home. The place where I used to live was under a Comcast monopoly. Their service was terrible, getting help was pointless, and prices always went up. They also misrepresented their services by attempting to convince people around me that their new TV's required digital service to work properly. Comcast also randomly started to remove channels from the basic cable lineup in favor of putting them on the digital cable lineup. They had a poor selection of HD channels and numerous service outages...particularly in the morning making a TV wake-up timer useless.

When I moved I only gave Comcast a passing glance. Their prices were within $5 to $10 of FIOS. I haven't had any issues with FIOS other than the circus show to get it hooked up to my house and the fiber cable buried (they damaged another underground wire when doing so). Even with Verizon's issues, I'd much rather have service from them. I don't want someone capping, limiting, or manipulating the data I send and receive over the net like Comcast does to their customers.

When my contract is up with Verizon I will consider them vs. Comcast to see who has the better service for a lower price. Comcast has a few negative stigmas attached to it though.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:56 AM

296 posts, read 551,923 times
When I moved into my new place I had to get Verizon because Concast was not yet set up in the development. Verizon is more expensive than Comcast and I always had trouble with my TV or internet going out. I would call them and because I didn't have a land line (I have a cell phone only) it would take me about 15 minutes to get through the voice response system and talk to someone who would have to transfer me a few more times. As soon as Comcast was in my area I switched and I have not had one problem with them. I will never go back to Verizon.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:16 AM

775 posts, read 1,457,895 times
Go to your public library, and read the long article about this, in the current (February 2010) "Consumer Reports" magazine.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:42 AM

1,837 posts, read 3,564,761 times
i think the difference between the two is close enough that unless you are technology snob or have a specific channel/package you want - neither is better than the other. I think Fios has an overall faster bandwidth and technology - but realistically speaking, both provide more bandwidth than one would need on average (although there was that controversy about Comcast capping data on a monthly basis....).

Both have packages that can get you discounts over the other depending on your location. And support is hit and miss with both IMO. I've had good and bad with both companies. And overall, I've experienced outages on both networks.

But for me - I have verizon wireless and I'm able to bundle that on my plan. Its the basic phone plan that would cost $40. With Fios, I'm getting Internet/TV/Cell for around $100 a month. add my VoIP service (different company) - its $110 a month. I don't see Comcast giving me Internet/TV/VoiP for $70 a month. So for me, Fios stays.

Now - con's of FiOS - a lot of the TV functions is sent across the IP network. Which is cool from a technology stand point - but what this means is that if you use Fios for internet AND TV - you'll have a harder time using your own router. From what I understand, its not impossible... but its not going to be supported. If you only use it for Internet access - customize away.

Also - i personally had no issues with them running the lines (it never crossed the driveway). But some of my neighbors weren't so lucky. A few neighbors got stood up on their appointments. This caused issues since all were Comcast customers so they obviously canceled the service on that day.... so now they're without TV/Internet until the rescheduled date with Verizon (and we're talking weeks).

And there are a lot of stories of damaged driveways/sidewalks etc. from them extending the fiber to the ONT in the house. I'm guessing this has more to do with the sub they use in your area.

If you simply want to get the end result (TV/Internet) for the least amount of $ - call both and have them duke it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland