Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,995 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I recently accepted a position in Millersville, MD and will be visiting there in a week to find an apartment. I am a single male in my late twenties and would like to find a town/city where I have walkable access to amenities like shopping, parks, and restaurants. I have read a little bit about Annapolis, Crofton, Crownsville, Severna Park, and Arnold. Does anyone have any advice or opinions about these different communities?

Also, does anyone know about the Dean St., East St., and Cathedral St. areas of Annapolis are???

Thanks for your help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 01:52 PM

407 posts, read 1,260,000 times
Annapolis is fabulous but the rent is high especially downtown which is where those places are you mentioned. Parking is horrible as well, although you would have assigned parking. On the other hand, if you can afford it, you would be close to all the quaintness of downtown. I am not sure about the crime rate downtown.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:09 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,076,878 times
Of all the places you mentioned Annapolis and to a lesser degree parts of Crofton are walkable. The rest of the areas would require you to be a long distance runner if you wanted to shop on foot.

None of the areas are dense except for downtown Annapolis. Urban sprawl is a characteristic that describes AA County well.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:29 AM

156 posts, read 422,500 times
The streets you mentioned all appear to be in the downtown Annapolis area though I am only familiar with Cathedral St. That is the quaint historic area with lots of restaurants, bars and shopping near the city dock. Some singles share expenses in the renovated original rowhomes which are very expensive to own. This is the area of limited parking and high rents. In the nearby surrounding areas of Annapolis there are tons of apartments for rent. I would say an average one bedroom will set you back about $1000. a month. Millersville is actually located between Crofton and Severna Park which are very nice suburban communities. There is one apartment complex that I know of in Crofton and there may be one as well in Severna Park but you are more likely to find lots of TH rentals. Then between Severna Park and Annapolis is Arnold which is also a good community, There are actually 2 Apartment complexes there which are adjacent to a golf course. There are many TH rentals there as well. You can easily walk to a small shopping center from either of these. Going north rather than south you will run into Glen Burnie on the way to Baltimore. There are tons of apt. rentals in Glen Burnie. It is generally not considered as nice an area as the other areas mentioned but has many nice complexes and some with security buildings. Hope this helps.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:27 AM

8,011 posts, read 10,572,252 times
I owned a home in Anne Arundel County for several years. Downtown Annapolis is the only place that is "walkable" to anything. But if you're looking for a nice area, we lived in the Pasadena/Mountain Road area, and, at least at that time, I enjoyed it because it wasn't as congested as other parts of the Anne Arundel County area. I have a friend who lives in a townhouse in that area and she really likes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland