U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 08:27 AM

8,283 posts, read 9,498,976 times
When i hear about maryland i think of the blair witch project.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:34 AM

293 posts, read 346,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSpelvin View Post
I agree with this specifically in the sense of comparing the DC suburbs of Maryland to large Southern cities like Atlanta. It is definitely less expensive in a place like Atlanta overall...compare same house in a nice area of Atlanta, even intown, to same house in places in Montgomery County, for example...in some areas, the price is actually double in Maryland. Then there are the real estate taxes...significantly higher in Maryland, as is usually the case in the Northeast versus the South. State income tax is also typically higher by a couple of percentage points, too. So overall, it is drastically more expensive if you compare "apples" to "apples" (Maryland close to DC versus north or northeast Atlanta inside the perimeter).

However.....having lived both places....I have to agree that Maryland gives you proximity to a lot more. I think there are far more recreational activities and more historical / cultural attractions -- particularly free ones -- available by living in Maryland compared to places like Atlanta. Maryland also puts one closer to a lot of other things, too (like water) that aren't close to Atlanta.

Actually for a huge city (population-wise), Atlanta is kind of boring. It just doesn't have what the DC area has as for cultural and recreational opportunities. Someone once said that Atlanta's attraction is all about business; it's a business and transporation hub; that's why people and companies move there. People don't go to Atlanta for a cultural downtown experience, a waterfront, or the kinds of signature attractions some other cities have.

So is the much higher cost of living in Maryland worth it? I guess it's up to the individual on what they value.

This is a great post and I wish I could have given you more points. I agree that it is all what the individual wants. For my wife and I culture, recreation, history, etc... are really big for us. We did not realize how important the stuff was until we left. As someone who lived in the Tampa, FL area most of my childhood and early adult life, and Jacksonville FL, I did not understand the true value of history, culture, etc... because these places have little to none in my opinion. Now you can find some "cheap" places to live, especially Jacksonville, but outside of Jax beach for recreation and St. Augustine up the road for history and culture, that is all you have.

As to Atlanta you are spot on. The layout of the city is bad and there needs to be some serious work put in regarding public transportation (i.e. a real subway system) because the traffic getting in and out of Atlanta is very bad. I know people who will live right outside the perimeter that will not go into the city because the traffic is so bad...especcially when they are doing road work.

As to the housing when you compare "apples to apples" regarding housing you are right. However, take Buckhead for example, there are places there that are more expensive than what you will find in some of the expensive areas in Maryland...but the bad part is that you are not close to any type of culture or historical sites.

All and all I think that Maryland gets a bad rap but it is up to the individual. For some people a good quality of life = "cheap." One cannot put everyone in the same boat. The amount of house my wife and I can afford down here in the suburbs is more than 2x what we could get in some of the Maryland suburbs but we are not going to buy because of the reasons I stated in this post and the other post I posted in this thread. What is good for one person's life may not be good for another.

Last edited by Mike Jones 1999; 02-27-2010 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: Missed a word

Old 02-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Status: "Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in." (set 22 days ago)

15,884 posts, read 14,330,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
My job may require me to work at Pax River in the near future. Where should I live that is in commuting distance from the Air Base? It's just me and the wife; schools don't matter. Thanks

Lots of places in St. Mary's County or across the bridge in Calvert County. Really need more info to tell you more. Both areas are fairly rural once you're away from Pax.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:42 PM

876 posts, read 1,391,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
There are plenty of affordable places to live in Maryland.......

There are plenty of places in Virginia, North/South Carolina, and Georgia that is just as expensive than Maryland..........
I disagree... Anywhere in MD where there are jobs it is really expensive, in my opinion...

Old 02-28-2010, 03:47 PM

119 posts, read 209,546 times
I never knew how bad MD was until I moved out 4.5 years ago. Lived there my entire life, 4 decades. It still 'feels' like home when I go back and visit but I would NEVER move back to Maryland.

Quote:
Most crime in Maryland occurs in Annapolis.
Funny and the truth!

Old 03-01-2010, 11:40 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,047,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSpelvin View Post
I agree with this specifically in the sense of comparing the DC suburbs of Maryland to large Southern cities like Atlanta. It is definitely less expensive in a place like Atlanta overall...compare same house in a nice area of Atlanta, even intown, to same house in places in Montgomery County, for example...in some areas, the price is actually double in Maryland. Then there are the real estate taxes...significantly higher in Maryland, as is usually the case in the Northeast versus the South. State income tax is also typically higher by a couple of percentage points, too. So overall, it is drastically more expensive if you compare "apples" to "apples" (Maryland close to DC versus north or northeast Atlanta inside the perimeter).

However.....having lived both places....I have to agree that Maryland gives you proximity to a lot more. I think there are far more recreational activities and more historical / cultural attractions -- particularly free ones -- available by living in Maryland compared to places like Atlanta. Maryland also puts one closer to a lot of other things, too (like water) that aren't close to Atlanta.

Actually for a huge city (population-wise), Atlanta is kind of boring. It just doesn't have what the DC area has as for cultural and recreational opportunities. Someone once said that Atlanta's attraction is all about business; it's a business and transporation hub; that's why people and companies move there. People don't go to Atlanta for a cultural downtown experience, a waterfront, or the kinds of signature attractions some other cities have.

So is the much higher cost of living in Maryland worth it? I guess it's up to the individual on what they value.
Two things that are totally wrong in your comment. One Maryland is not part of the Northeast. The other is that not ALL parts of Montgomery County or any other parts of the Maryland/DC Suburbs is Expensive as most people would want to Believe. As I said before there are parts of the Atlanta area that are just as Expensive as parts of the Maryland/DC Suburbs and the Baltimore Suburbs.......

Old 03-01-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
When i hear about maryland i think of the blair witch project.
When I hear about the Deep South I think of Roots and when I hear about Cali I think of Earthquakes and different Hoods with multiple Gang Sets......

Old 03-01-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
I disagree... Anywhere in MD where there are jobs it is really expensive, in my opinion...
Thats just it, your opinion which is Definitely not Gospel and I will say again that there are plenty of areas in Virginia, The Carolina's, and Georgia that is just as Expensive than different areas in Maryland......

It is what it is and if you don't want accept that then thats your issue.......

Old 03-02-2010, 04:00 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,445,004 times
Quote:
When I hear about the Deep South I think of Roots
You've never seen the movie I take it? There is a statue of Alex Haley at the city dock in Annapolis. The Kunta Kinte - Alex Haley Foundation, Inc.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:22 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,445,004 times
Quote:
Straight Total Complete BS........

I have never heard of any Serious Crimes in Annapolis
It happens on a pretty regular basis. In 2008 there were 8 murders, 8 rapes, 130 robberies, 174 assaults, 293 burglaries, 1153 thefts, 139 car thefts and 10 arsons. And that was a good year. As recently as 2006 there was significantly more serious crime. The only category that was lower was murder. http://www.city-data.com/city/Annapolis-Maryland.html

As recently as 2002 there was a particularly nasty murder right in the Historic District:

According to the evidence presented at trial, on September 19, 2002, Blake and his neighbor, Terrance Tolbert, carjacked a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee owned by Straughan Lee Griffin, age 51, of Annapolis. In the course of the carjacking, which took place in front of Mr. Griffin’s home in the Historic District of Annapolis, Mr. Griffin was shot to death in the head and run over by the Jeep Cherokee as they fled. Testimony at the trial showed that on the evening of September 19, 2002, Blake and Tolbert agreed to commit a carjacking as they walked through downtown Annapolis and that prior to confronting Mr. Griffin in front of his Cumberland Court home, Blake and Tolbert targeted and approached several other potential victims on Maryland Avenue. In a post-arrest statement on October 26, 2002 while in state custody, Blake admitted to an Annapolis police detective that he and Mr. Tolbert had planned to commit a carjacking robbery. Blake also admitted that he pointed Mr. Griffin out to Tolbert as a robbery target, but denied that he was the shooter.
Leeander Blake Sentenced to Life in 2002 Annapolis Carjacking and Murder

If you do a Google search for "downtown Annapolis murder" you will find that it is not an especially safe place to be after dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland