Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 PM

28 posts, read 81,503 times

Advertisements

My experience living in Catonsville hasn't been as what been described so far. Understandably, we all have different experiences. On my block, no one appeared enthusiastic about the prospect of "McPalin" becoming elected. The one family I know to be conservative expressed support before Obama was elected and relief afterward. As far as crime, my neighborhood has not experienced any problems. Cars are left on the street without incidence. Even all the Halloween pumpkins left on my porch each year have remained in tact - not one smashing! Joggers and even elderly folks walk their dogs at all hours.

Catonsville has a "town" feeling with the convenience of easy access to Baltimore and DC, Johns Hopkins, and University of Maryland. (The Community College of Baltimore County has a campus in Catonsville.) While the Beltway is only minutes away, so are walking trails. Right behind one of the local restaurants is a great trail that leads to the main street of Ellicott City.

The town's July 4th parade is legendary The Lurman (outdoor) Theater offers wonderful concerts throughout the summer - free of charge. The farmers market, which was only open on Wednesdays, will now be expanded to a weekend day. Depending on how close you are located to the "center" of Catonsville, it is walkable. The library, post office, banks, bakery and convenience stores all within easy distance. There is a subculture of craftspeople and musicians. Due to a range of specialty music stores, Catonsville is known as "Music City Maryland" (even appears on the town sign!). There are non-franchise restaurants and (non-chain) businesses on the main road, Frederick Avenue that enjoy good community support.

Perhaps I've just been fortunate. I've been working for a decade in Annapolis and have encountered more of what is described as "snobbishness" there than I've ever experienced in the Catonsville area. Even grocery shopping, folks who are "total strangers" actually chat with each other.

If the rest of my family were in this area (I'm not a Maryland native), I likely would not consider leaving this town. Had I known their careers would call them away, I probably would not have begun to put roots down here. For me, the call to be with family trumps simply all the good qualities of this area.

Where ever you decide to settle, I wish you all the best in your relocation, beebelle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 12:03 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,249,553 times
I've lived in southern Carroll county (I'm 4 miles outside Sykesville) since 1983. I raised two daughters through the public school system and Maryland universities (both undergraduate & graduate educations). I live in an older development (circa late 70s) on a <two acre lot surrounded by farm land. My neighbors range from young families through retirees. There is a fair degree of new housing being built in the area (albeit noticeable slowed with the recent downturn).

I retired 3 years ago and decided to stay put (after an exhaustive analysis) for the foreseeable future. Crime in my area is unnoticeable, the socio-demographic mix in southern Carroll is predominately Caucasian, middle/upper middle class, professional, small business owners and skilled trades. There are pockets of MacMansions and some low key, upper income folks scattered around the southern Carroll/northern Howard county border. New home (single family) prices tend to go higher as you approach Clarksville, Columbia and Ellicott City areas. There is an established and active equestrian activity in the area.

I haven't a clue about the political preferences of my neighbors, some of whom I've known over a quarter century. The religious mix is a fairly typical cross-section. Snobbery would be hard to find. I doubt that anyone would notice or care what car you drive or politics you practice, provided that you are a good neighbor, maintain your property and mind your own affairs. In our time, there were fairly strong parenting groups and school affiliated community activities my daughters participated in, I can't comment on the current state of affairs. The public school systems appear to have maintained a fairly decent performance record. Both my Ex and my daughter are teachers in the Maryland school systems and comment favorably about Carroll's system.

My location offers world class cultural, educational and leisure activities within a short drive and access to 3 international airports. Commuting can require some tactical planning and may be a serious criteria in your residence location choice. All things considered, I would recommend the general area for both families and/or retirees. Give a shout if you have more specific questions.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 02-19-2010 at 12:39 AM..

Old 02-19-2010, 09:59 AM

789 posts, read 2,555,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
I've lived in southern Carroll county (I'm 4 miles outside Sykesville) since 1983. I raised two daughters through the public school system and Maryland universities (both undergraduate & graduate educations). I live in an older development (circa late 70s) on a <two acre lot surrounded by farm land. My neighbors range from young families through retirees. There is a fair degree of new housing being built in the area (albeit noticeable slowed with the recent downturn).

I retired 3 years ago and decided to stay put (after an exhaustive analysis) for the foreseeable future. Crime in my area is unnoticeable, the socio-demographic mix in southern Carroll is predominately Caucasian, middle/upper middle class, professional, small business owners and skilled trades. There are pockets of MacMansions and some low key, upper income folks scattered around the southern Carroll/northern Howard county border. New home (single family) prices tend to go higher as you approach Clarksville, Columbia and Ellicott City areas. There is an established and active equestrian activity in the area.

I haven't a clue about the political preferences of my neighbors, some of whom I've known over a quarter century. The religious mix is a fairly typical cross-section. Snobbery would be hard to find. I doubt that anyone would notice or care what car you drive or politics you practice, provided that you are a good neighbor, maintain your property and mind your own affairs. In our time, there were fairly strong parenting groups and school affiliated community activities my daughters participated in, I can't comment on the current state of affairs. The public school systems appear to have maintained a fairly decent performance record. Both my Ex and my daughter are teachers in the Maryland school systems and comment favorably about Carroll's system.

My location offers world class cultural, educational and leisure activities within a short drive and access to 3 international airports. Commuting can require some tactical planning and may be a serious criteria in your residence location choice. All things considered, I would recommend the general area for both families and/or retirees. Give a shout if you have more specific questions.
Plus the ocean and ski areas aren't very far, and Linganore is close by. Good location...

Old 02-19-2010, 10:44 PM

43 posts, read 181,899 times
Thanks for all your thoughtful comments. You are confirming my impressions, based on limited visits to the area. I'm a bit worried about the paucity of SAHMs, but that's a problem anywhere. I'm going back to work as soon as we're settled and I can find a job (hmmm, that could take a while in this economy). Are there pockets/elementary schools where there are a few more SAHMs?

Pilgrim, please tell me more about the equestrian activity in the area. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:45 AM

297 posts, read 1,269,107 times
Just wanted to put another plug in for the Sykesville area of Carroll County. We live in Eldersburg (technically Sykesville mailing address, but slightly north of the town of Sykesville) and absolutely love living here. Maybe you could contact some of the Mom's groups in the area to see if they have a higher percentage of members from specific areas - that may give you an idea about SAHMs. Welcome to the area.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:41 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,249,553 times
The websites below will get you to some contacts that would be more familiar with the equestrian scene. I'm not knowledgeable about it other than having known more than a few folks in the horse set. There are two large breeding farms within 10 miles of my house. If you go cruising around the countryside in northern Howard, Frederick and Carroll counties you will see a lot of horses, its pretty common around here and something to be aware of when cruising the back roads.

The SAHM scene isn't something I have any information about, sorry I can't be of more help.

Welcome to the Carroll County Equestrian Center

The Official Website of the Howard County Horse Shows Association

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 02-20-2010 at 07:54 AM..

Old 02-20-2010, 01:48 PM

I found this website about SAHM meet-up groups in the area:

Find a Meetup Group Near You! - Stay At Home Moms Meetups - Sykesville

Old 02-20-2010, 08:17 PM

43 posts, read 181,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielle View Post
Just wanted to put another plug in for the Sykesville area of Carroll County. We live in Eldersburg (technically Sykesville mailing address, but slightly north of the town of Sykesville) and absolutely love living here. Maybe you could contact some of the Mom's groups in the area to see if they have a higher percentage of members from specific areas - that may give you an idea about SAHMs. Welcome to the area.
Gabrielle, Please tell me more about what you like about the area. It seems more spread out than parts of Catonsville and EC. I love rural areas (I grew up surrounded by farms) but I'm wondering if it's too isolated for kids to socialize much with other kids. My kids are in elementary and middle school.

Also, can you tell me anything about specific elementary schools? The high schools all seem pretty good in Howard County. Middle schools are generally weak everywhere -- are any better than others. Thanks.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:01 PM

We are zoned for Piney Ridge Elementary but my son goes to a special needs preschool at Carrolltowne Elementary. We have been extremely pleased with the school system's special needs program (from evaluation on to his actual classroom work). He is only 4.5 years old, so I can't really tell you much about middle schools. We are zoned for Century High School and that's supposed to be good.

We moved from Ellicott City a little over 3 years ago from a townhouse to a single family house. I love the fact that traffic is much less in the area than in the Ellicott City/Columbia area. We can find everything we need daily here in Eldersburg, and if we need to go to a mall for something, then both Westminster and the Columbia malls are within easy driving distance (20 and 30 minutes away). I love the fact that I can literally walk to Piney Run Lake and it only takes 15 minutes of walking from my back yard. I think the schools here in Carroll County are also supposed to be good, and I just love the quality of life here.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:28 AM

3 posts, read 12,772 times
Default if you are looking for diversity...

...it's not in carroll county (eldersburg, sykesville, westminster, gamber). i have lived in maryland all my life and picked catonsville to raise my daughter in because of the diversity. some people are very content with little racial diversity, which is fine. if diversity is at the top of your list, or on your list at all...i would avoid carroll county. again, there's nothing wrong with it...just not diverse at all.
there are lots of earthy, liberal moms in catonsville...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland