U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 11:44 AM

107 posts, read 324,142 times
Question How open is the greater Baltimore/DC areas to interracial dating?

I had a very livid discussion the other day about interracial dating here in both the greater Baltimore and DC areas. We were talking about how open people are here to the idea. Now, I grew up here but have since travelled throughout the country and even the world. From my personal experiences living here in Baltimore and in DC...I just don't see people being that open to it as compared to other regions. For example, right before I officially moved back to the area I had to go to the DMV and noticed a black woman with a white man. You wouldn't believe the number of people (black, white, hispanic, etc.) that looked at them as if this were 1963. I felt bad for them but they paid it no attention at all..they just happily got their information and left the building.

Now, I haven't lived in this area in a long time but I still feel as if interracial dating is not very well accepted. But maybe I'm wrong...for those of you who live in the greater Baltimore/DC areas...what do you think of this? Have things changed? Do you see a lot of interracial mixing? Is it more accepted now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 11:59 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,749,101 times
Default boredatwork

Anytime you see a white man with a black woman you're either going to praise him or hate on the black woman......like "oh how'd he get her he's the man, or oh how'd he get her she must be trippin'

Old 02-26-2010, 12:09 PM

333 posts, read 661,637 times
It could be just where you are at. Come to Columbia and you will see a decent amount of interracial adults, families and kids of all economic and races, not just black and white. It is definitely not a big deal here. I do not think it is a big deal in Hoco overall but definitely not a problem in Columbia. People came to Columbia when interracial dating/marriage was taboo to raise their families, so even older residents are used to it.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:51 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,181,848 times
MoCo has a lot of interracial couples

Old 02-26-2010, 02:25 PM

8 posts, read 33,805 times
Interracial dating is definitely very common and for the most part accepted in Maryland. Well, I am speaking mostly for Baltimore and surrounding areas including MoCo.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretoliveinmaryland View Post
Interracial dating is definitely very common and for the most part accepted in Maryland. Well, I am speaking mostly for Baltimore and surrounding areas including MoCo.
I have to disagree with your assessment of Baltimore because the location of the example I gave in my post was in fact in Baltimore. I was actually shocked because I thought things had changed a bit since I've lived here.

However, I do believe Columbia and Laurel are open to it...I see a lot of couples there that date interracially there...

Old 02-26-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Anytime you see a white man with a black woman you're either going to praise him or hate on the black woman......like "oh how'd he get her he's the man, or oh how'd he get her she must be trippin'
Exactly...and I'm not too sure why it's such a big deal anymore...In fact I've been in places that were predominantly black or white and have seen that reaction...I guess it may just be that it's "someting different" that people are curious about...I don't know...

Old 02-26-2010, 05:19 PM

238 posts, read 434,288 times
There are plenty of mixed race marriages and couples in Montgomery County. Just off the top of my head there were at least 5 interracial couples of different kinds, including ourselves, living in my street.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:07 PM

524 posts, read 617,319 times
I have heard Baltimore has one of the highest rates of biracial children in the country.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:09 PM

53 posts, read 143,419 times
Default Strange...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Ummm...I don't have either of those reactions... But to remain politically correct, I won't comment on some of the other possibilities that occur to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland